Gravity Trip Report: 1,200 miles PA to FL

Keith

Active Member

Verified Owner
Joined
Nov 11, 2021
Messages
176
Reaction score
289
Location
Vero Beach, FL
Cars
Air Touring
Referral Code
0ZVOZI80
Last week while visiting Family in Virginia, a loaded Gravity (on 20/21" wheels) popped up on Lucid's Available Vehicles list and I snatched it up. The vehicle was in King of Prussia PA. I was able to cancel my current order, that hadn't yet gone into produce, and receive my refund. Purchased outright, Lucid discounted $2,000 for a Loyalty Credit. A few days later we drove 2 hours for delivery and immediately brought it to Acap Films for Full Frontal PPF install before the drive back to Florida. Good opportunity to spend a day wandering about Longwood Gardens while we waited for the installation to be completed

Access to Tesla charging stations is a game-changer! Never had to wait, generally always more than 4 chargers at a location, none were broken, connection was nearly instant, great charging rates, and it just worked. Nothing like previous road trips in our Lucid Air Touring and using Electrify America. Though, the Air came with 3 years of free charging .. The 1,200 mile PA -> FL charging with Tesla cost $200

One stop in Jacksonville NC we charged to 100% to see the charge curve (Attached Below). We started at 13% SOC. The Tesla charger held 220kw for 12 minutes resulting in 47% charge. We reached 80% in 27 minutes .. which is over 340 mile range. 90% was only 6 minutes later, and worth the wait for another ~35 miles. 100% dragged out to a total of 1-1/2 hours which was expected.

Our Air is an amazing vehicle to drive, but .. "How could the Gravity be better?" That was a concern I had, and seemingly impossible to imagine. However, Lucid has created another vehicle larger on the inside than the outside, near silent like your wearing Bose noise-cancelling headphones, firmly planted to the road and yet glides like an air-hockey puck, and turns on a dime with the Dynamic Handling Package. Driving, the Gravity feels like a much smaller vehicle than it actually is. The Surreal Sound Pro is so amazing! Oh, and the Gravity accelerates like there's a SpaceX Raptor Engine attached
🥰


We had no fob issues other than once I had to shake it; version 3.3.2. The screens and software are laid out well, though there are glitches here and there, which I know will get address over time.

UPDATE: The morning after arriving at our home in Florida I found red fluid dripping from the front of the vehicle. I took pictures and contacted Lucid in Riviera (West Palm Beach area). Chris quickly replied that they will send a loaner and flat bed the Gravity to their Service Center. There's a coolant leak and the correction is to replace the Front Drive Unit which could take up to 2 weeks complete, which includes a few minor due bill items from delivery. We're very lucky the drive wasn't interrupted by a mechanical failure.

Gravity.webp



2025-10-10 Gravity Tesla Charging Curve.webp
 
Last week while visiting Family in Virginia, a loaded Gravity (on 20/21" wheels) popped up on Lucid's Available Vehicles list and I snatched it up. The vehicle was in King of Prussia PA. I was able to cancel my current order, that hadn't yet gone into produce, and receive my refund. Purchased outright, Lucid discounted $2,000 for a Loyalty Credit. A few days later we drove 2 hours for delivery and immediately brought it to Acap Films for Full Frontal PPF install before the drive back to Florida. Good opportunity to spend a day wandering about Longwood Gardens while we waited for the installation to be completed

Access to Tesla charging stations is a game-changer! Never had to wait, generally always more than 4 chargers at a location, none were broken, connection was nearly instant, great charging rates, and it just worked. Nothing like previous road trips in our Lucid Air Touring and using Electrify America. Though, the Air came with 3 years of free charging .. The 1,200 mile PA -> FL charging with Tesla cost $200

One stop in Jacksonville NC we charged to 100% to see the charge curve (Attached Below). We started at 13% SOC. The Tesla charger held 220kw for 12 minutes resulting in 47% charge. We reached 80% in 27 minutes .. which is over 340 mile range. 90% was only 6 minutes later, and worth the wait for another ~35 miles. 100% dragged out to a total of 1-1/2 hours which was expected.

Our Air is an amazing vehicle to drive, but .. "How could the Gravity be better?" That was a concern I had, and seemingly impossible to imagine. However, Lucid has created another vehicle larger on the inside than the outside, near silent like your wearing Bose noise-cancelling headphones, firmly planted to the road and yet glides like an air-hockey puck, and turns on a dime with the Dynamic Handling Package. Driving, the Gravity feels like a much smaller vehicle than it actually is. The Surreal Sound Pro is so amazing! Oh, and the Gravity accelerates like there's a SpaceX Raptor Engine attached
🥰


We had no fob issues other than once I had to shake it; version 3.3.2. The screens and software are laid out well, though there are glitches here and there, which I know will get address over time.

UPDATE: The morning after arriving at our home in Florida I found red fluid dripping from the front of the vehicle. I took pictures and contacted Lucid in Riviera (West Palm Beach area). Chris quickly replied that they will send a loaner and flat bed the Gravity to their Service Center. There's a coolant leak and the correction is to replace the Front Drive Unit which could take up to 2 weeks complete, which includes a few minor due bill items from delivery. We're very lucky the drive wasn't interrupted by a mechanical failure.

View attachment 33504


View attachment 33506
I’m glad to hear the road trip went well! Super exciting to see!
 
As long as they get the software issues sorted out……been 4 years……Lucid will dominate the luxury auto market.
The need to figure out a fix for the DU failures as well. We've now seen quite a few people here reporting that their vehicle needed a replacement DU. Although, to Lucid's credit, many of the failures have been caught before they've left the driver stranded.
 
WRT efficiency .. starting out in PA we were seeing 3.5m/kw which I thought was pretty good; bright sunshine. By the time we got to FL it was about 2.6m/kw. I was attributing it to the rain which seemed to be following us and possibly headwinds. I'm now wondering if it was front front DU putting a drag on the system. We also noticed nearly pure silence in the beginning, and the last few hours a bit of motor whine (not to the extent as the Air).

Thinking about the "efficiency gauge" on the left of the screen, the value seemed to lag behind what the "m/kw this charge" was showing. So it must be an average over the previous N miles? I do like the data Lucid has added to the display, like attributing energy consumption to driving, A/C, elevation, lighting. It would be great too if the Gravity could keep charging history: where, kw, time, SOC.start & .end, etc..

/keith
 
I've been a bit surprised at how many posts here have said the Gravity is silent when driving, when my test drive had very obvious motor whine. Of course the whine is apparent in part because the Gravity does a good job of damping out other noise. I've nevertheless been surprised at how few people mention the motor noise. Now I'm wondering if the vehicle I drove was suffering early DU problems. Do the Gravity owners here generally find the motors to be inaudible? Or is obvious whine typical?
 
I've been a bit surprised at how many posts here have said the Gravity is silent when driving, when my test drive had very obvious motor whine. Of course the whine is apparent in part because the Gravity does a good job of damping out other noise. I've nevertheless been surprised at how few people mention the motor noise. Now I'm wondering if the vehicle I drove was suffering early DU problems. Do the Gravity owners here generally find the motors to be inaudible? Or is obvious whine typical?
Have you driven an Air? You want to hear a car whine like it's at the opera go test drive one 😂

Maybe it's because I'm coming from an Air but the motor whine from the Gravity is nothing in comparison to the Air. Maybe I've tuned it out but I honestly don't hear it enough to stand out given how silent driving the Gravity is.
 
Have you driven an Air? You want to hear a car whine like it's at the opera go test drive one 😂

Maybe it's because I'm coming from an Air but the motor whine from the Gravity is nothing in comparison to the Air. Maybe I've tuned it out but I honestly don't hear it enough to stand out given how silent driving the Gravity is.
I did a test drive of an Air a couple of years ago, but decided to wait for the Gravity. It's been long enough that I don't remember what it sounded like.
 
I've been a bit surprised at how many posts here have said the Gravity is silent when driving, when my test drive had very obvious motor whine. Of course the whine is apparent in part because the Gravity does a good job of damping out other noise. I've nevertheless been surprised at how few people mention the motor noise. Now I'm wondering if the vehicle I drove was suffering early DU problems. Do the Gravity owners here generally find the motors to be inaudible? Or is obvious whine typical?
I don't hear almost any motor whine in mine. Nor in the test vehicles I drove before I got mine.
 
Have you driven an Air? You want to hear a car whine like it's at the opera go test drive one 😂

Maybe it's because I'm coming from an Air but the motor whine from the Gravity is nothing in comparison to the Air. Maybe I've tuned it out but I honestly don't hear it enough to stand out given how silent driving the Gravity is.
There's no motor whine in the Gravity. People are just hearing things. There's medication for that, I'm told. :P
 
Back
Top