Gravity maybe?

levsha

Reaction score
Cars
Peugeot 5008
Hi!
We've been slowly looking around for our next car. The current one works well, so we are not in rush. It's rather "want something new, so justify it for yourself as a need to replace the current one eventually".
The current one is 2018th year Peugeot 5008. I guess it not well known in the US, but pretty popular in Europe.
And it matches our needs perfectly: reasonably sized car with 5 fully functional seats and 2 additional "occasional" seats.
It is 4.65m long - it's crucial in Europe.
The second row is proper 3 seats row - we can have two child seats there and still an adult fitting between - surprisingly not many car can do that.
We use 3rd row maybe once a month or every other month for up to 1 hour trips with friends or relatives, all the other time it's folded down, providing pretty big trunk instead - exactly what we need.
So the next car. All our family agreed it going to be a BEV. Even though I do the math regularly and dont believe it will be cheaper for us overall: no tax credit etc for BEV in Switzerland, electricity cost is still noticeable, even with the local gas prices the parity will be reached in 5 or even more years.
Most likely it will be the only car in the family - replace the current one. It doesn't make any sense for us to have more than one: I never commute by car, never use a car for business trips - the public transit is awesome here in Switzerland. So we need something universal.
Surprisingly there are not so many options on the market now...
The new Peugeot E-5008. Somehow they managed to make almost everything slightly worse than our current 5008. 20cm longer that doesn't give noticeably more space inside - is Lucid the only one who understands that electric platform should allow to use the size more efficiently? They've put 40/60 seats in the second row instead of 3 separate seats previously - you can't fit 2 child seats and adult there anymore. And then many small things, not critical but still annoying: very nonlinear breaking, buttons instead of very convenient gear selector before, charging port in the left back - not very practical in Europe, their own entertainment system - nice looking but pretty poor functionally, so we just always use Android Auto.
Kia EV9. Seems to be good option, just a few minuses. More expensive. >5m long - significantly more than our current car. Their own entertainment system - so we'll use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, with questionable integration with BEV - I guess you'd want to have some integration so your long trip navigation will take the SOC and charging network into account. Start/Stop button in a BEV? Oookay.
Volvo EX90. Even more expensive. Also >5m long. Hej Volvo, when you'll finally make it available? How many years will it take to make things like pre-installed lidar to work and to fix all software bugs in your new platform? 5m long, still not enough space for an adult in the 3rd row? Glass roof that doesn't open and doesn't even have blinds? How much does it cost again? Charging port on the back left - please stop blindly copying Tesla! Two door window switches with the front/back button switch? How much did you save on this stupid thing? Ok, you used Android Automotive instead of building your own entertainment system - thank you Volvo!
Volkswagen ID.Buzz. It's boooring minivan. Crappy entertainment system, disappointing range. And this is electric-only platform minivan - how come you need long wheelbase to fit 3 rows? Oh and 3 rows option is still not available in Europe? Thank you no.
Tesla Model Y. We were seriously considering it. Until we tested it - complete disappointment. The overall quality as acceptable for a car that would cost 1/3 of it, something like and old Dacia Logan (the new one is probably better). Seats - how short should you be to feel comfortable? The big tablet on the center with everything there, often with small fonts - I'm not sure I'll get used to it. Buttons on steering wheel for turn signals - I'm sure I'll never be able to use them well, and nobody will, and no way anybody will be able to use them properly when leaving roundabout (we have tons of roundabouts in Europe). Swipe on the screen for gear selector? Just no. Oh, and 7 seat option just not available in Europe - of course who would need 7 seater in Europe?

So there we go, Gravity looks like very interesting option. Yes, it's also 5 meters long - I've almost accepted that a 7 seater is 5 meters long today. But at least here these 5 meters are very efficiently used. Yes, it will be pretty expensive. But I expect it will be comparable or even cheaper than EX90, maybe even comparable to EV9. It's own entertainment system - I don't like this TBH and don't believe it will be as conventient as Android Automotive in EX90.
Other than that it looks pretty good!
The only problem is I've never seen it in real life yet (yes I know almost nobody had seen it in real life yet). Not even talking about driving. So I guess it's still a long journey, especially if I'll not want to go into any binding agreement before test drive.

Hi!
We've been slowly looking around for our next car. The current one works well, so we are not in rush. It's rather "want something new, so justify it for yourself as a need to replace the current one eventually"....
The only problem is I've never seen it in real life yet (yes I know almost nobody had seen it in real life yet). Not even talking about driving. So I guess it's still a long journey, especially if I'll not want to go into any binding agreement before test drive.
I've seen the Gravity several times on the road and at Lucid HQ. It's quite impressive and I think will sell very well. Range is by far top of the class, and handling is said to better than Porsche's Cayenne.
The only downsides for me are its overall size (I only need 4 seats), lack of native Google maps, and subjectively its appearance - a hot aero sports minivan rather than an SUV.
I'm very much looking forward to a test drive. Alternative vehicles that fit my use case better (Polestar 3, Macan EV) have their own charms but are sorely lacking in range compared to the Gravity.

The second row is proper 3 seats row - we can have two child seats there and still an adult fitting between - surprisingly not many car can do that.
We use 3rd row maybe once a month or every other month for up to 1 hour trips with friends or relatives, all the other time it's folded down, providing pretty big trunk instead - exactly what we

Based on your seating/space needs, the Gravity is a good consideration for you. Don't forget the frunk (front trunk space). It's possible the adult sitting on your second row or one of the car seats could move to the third row with the other third row seat folded down for space. That space along with the space behind third row and the frunk space might meet your needs.

I've seen it in real life. The pictures don't do it justice. Looks really good in person!

EV9 not a bad choice if you like that look.
Polestar 3 ok if you can accept the huge center screen.

The only downsides for me are its overall size (I only need 4 seats), lack of native Google maps,
TBH the fact they have they own entertainment system instead of Android Automotive (like EX90) and may probably not even have Android Auto at the beginning is also significant downside for me too: I feel it shouldn't be even required to explain "but why would you even want Google Maps instead of our integrated maps?", I use Google Play Music for the music in the car, and over I'm sure Android Auto ecosystem is incomparably bigger than their own...

Polestar 3 ok if you can accept the huge center screen.
Polestar 3 looks pretty good overall, but not the option for us: If we'd agree to drop "7 seater" requirement then we'd go with something significantly smaller: Renault Scenic E-Tech for example - 190+ inches length is quite a lot for Europe, it need to be justified for yourself somehow.

Oh, I've just realized that I've not even mentioned Model X as an option. I think it looks so bulky and unreasonable to me, that I don't consider it at all :)

I've seen it in real life. The pictures don't do it justice. Looks really good in person!
This! The car doesn't seem to take pictures well and to me, seems more SUV when you see it in person.

TBH the fact they have they own entertainment system instead of Android Automotive (like EX90) and may probably not even have Android Auto at the beginning is also significant downside for me too: I feel it shouldn't be even required to explain "but why would you even want Google Maps instead of our integrated maps?", I use Google Play Music for the music in the car, and over I'm sure Android Auto ecosystem is incomparably bigger than their own...
I believe this is more a case of what works better for Lucid on the backend vs what we want to see on the frontend. Lucid uses HERE Maps who are very well known for having the largest if not the best HD mapping in the industry, even ahead of Google when I checked recently. It's not a stupid decision, the reason this matters? a lot of companies need this type of mapping when it comes to autonomous features \ self driving. It helps the cars ADAS suite immensely so I can see why Lucid and others have chosen HERE. For the consumer though, it's a case of who cares! What you don't see isn't important to them. Unfortunately, HERE seems to lack a lot of POI info, its route planning can be questionable and unlike Google, doesn't have potentially millions of devices data mining to provide accurate traffic data etc.

I use Lucid's navigation exclusively and don't have any major complaints as others have on here. I'm in SoCal so maybe it's got more accurate information than in other states but I've done numerous spot checks with stuck in LA traffic against HERE, Google and Apple Maps and 9 times out of 10 HERE is providing the same route info as Apple and Google. The advantage of using the in car navigation is evident on road trips when the charging stops etc are auto planned into the trip. It will monitor your efficiency, range, set your battery pre-conditioning etc. automatically vs having none of that with Apple of Google Maps

The advantage of using the in car navigation is evident on road trips when the charging stops etc are auto planned into the trip. It will monitor your efficiency, range, set your battery pre-conditioning etc. automatically vs having none of that with Apple of Google Maps
Yes, and that is the advantage of an integrated maps comparing to Apple CarPlay/Android Auto based solution (not HERE Maps vs Google Maps). Google Maps running on Android Automotive based system (in Volvo and Polestar for example) do the same: monitor efficiency, SOC, set battery preconditioning etc, and HERE Maps running trough Apple CarPlay/Android Auto won't do anything of this.
That's why I'd prefer the best an Android Automotive based system (so count it as a plus for Volvo EX90 currently). Android Auto/Apple CarPlay is just a partial mitigation.

P.S. Yes Google is always bad with naming: Android Auto and Android Automotive are significantly different systems, they should have named them differently ...

running trough Apple CarPlay/Android Auto won't do anything of this
It can. Porsche and Ford both feed live vehicle information to CarPlay already, and Apple Maps uses that for routing. This is the route I would prefer. Keep the smarts in a device I can swap out every few years rather than a car I might live with for a decade.

It can. Porsche and Ford both feed live vehicle information to CarPlay already, and Apple Maps uses that for routing. This is the route I would prefer. Keep the smarts in a device I can swap out every few years rather than a car I might live with for a decade.
True. I'd be also happy with this, but honestly very pessimistic about it to be implemented.
It's actually even technically possible to show navigation information to driver's display from Android Auto. (Almost?) no car manufactures have implemented this ...

True. I'd be also happy with this, but honestly very pessimistic about it to be implemented.
It's actually even technically possible to show navigation information to driver's display from Android Auto. (Almost?) no car manufactures have implemented this ...
Definitely buy a car that already has the features you need, not one that may have them in the future.

Built-in Google maps with EV route planning is important enough for me that I'm only considering cars that already have it - plus the Gravity, as its range may be unmatched. The most important use for my next vehicle will be to drive to faraway POIs that are generally not visible in HERE maps.

Maybe I should be more explicit: Lucid's nav fails me about one a week. It just did again. I would not buy the Gravity unless you are ok with using an iPhone with Carplay and losing the ability to do realtime EV route planning.

Maybe I should be more explicit: Lucid's nav fails me about one a week. It just did again. I would not buy the Gravity unless you are ok with using an iPhone with Carplay and losing the ability to do realtime EV route planning.
I suspect you may also go to places that are more unique than the average consumer.

Lucid Nav insists that I drive through a field and crash through a fence to get to my condo. I have reported it, to no avail. Going to a place in Philly it wanted me to drive past a dead end to get where I was going. It's last mile is not great.

Important to clarify that it's not just about HERE Maps vs Google Maps. On the Android Automotive based entertainment system you are not limited to Google Maps, you can use whatever you want: Google Maps, HERE Maps, Waze, ABRP, you name it

Important to clarify that it's not just about HERE Maps vs Google Maps. On the Android Automotive based entertainment system you are not limited to Google Maps, you can use whatever you want: Google Maps, HERE Maps, Waze, ABRP, you name it
Lucid does use AAOS in the Air. They chose not to use the GAS addon: Maps, voice Assistant, app store.

I suspect you may also go to places that are more unique than the average consumer.
Likely, but yesterday's glitch was to a business in Cupertino.

Likely, but yesterday's glitch was to a business in Cupertino.
The food truck on the corner of that one intersection that's there every other tuesday and alternate fridays? :P

Back