Gravity HUD Position and Clarity Questions

Initially, I’m going to take a crack at sorting out what to expect wrt the HUD with Lucid service. Reading through previous owner threads has been helpful. One follow-up question: what does the Lucid owner community believe the feature/functionality of the HUD option was supposed to (eventually) deliver. I realize now that I didn’t have very clear expectations when I added that option to my order. (My wife has now reminded me twice she thought it was a waste of money.) Lucid marketing and engineering teams must have something on the white board describing what their plans/wish list are.
 
Yes, I would love a camera rearview display. But, I'm not disappointed in the normal view out the back. I knew about it before I bought in - and price doesn't have anything to do with it. Hypercars don't have a view out the back 180 degrees of view - it isn't price.

And, you can always lower the 3rd row seats head rests. :) .
I already removed the middle headrest, but that's not really the problem. It's the upper obstruction (the low rear glass and the wiper protrusion) that's in the way for me. Not the lower obstruction. But I still like being able to see into the back of the car better too so I removed that headrest (we never have 3 people riding back there).

Hypercars are usually sportscars, not mainsteam luxury daily-drive SUVans for the general public. Function matters for the latter, and high price should deliver even better function and design IMO. That's one the main reasons for paying so much more. I know some push back on the "I expect more and better when paying so much more" line of thinking, but to me that's exactly what paying so much more is all about. It's wholly appropriate to have higher expectations for a $100k car than a $50k car IMO.
 
I already removed the middle headrest, but that's not really the problem. It's the upper obstruction (the low rear glass and the wiper protrusion) that's in the way for me. Not the lower obstruction. But I still like being able to see into the back of the car better too so I removed that headrest (we never have 3 people riding back there).

Hypercars are usually sportscars, not mainsteam luxury daily-drive SUVans for the general public. Function matters for the latter, and high price should deliver even better function and design IMO. That's one the main reasons for paying so much more. I know some push back on the "I expect more and better when paying so much more" line of thinking, but to me that's exactly what paying so much more is all about. It's wholly appropriate to have higher expectations for a $100k car than a $50k car IMO.
My point was that it is a design issue, not a price issue. I like the external design, so I am happy to put up with limited visuals through the back window. If the car. was half the price, I still would rather have the sleek exterior design with limited visuals than a larger, taller rear end with larger window. I can buy a box for 50K or 220K - but I have the Gravity because I want it to look just like it does. For me, closer to a shooting brake than a minivan or Porsche Cayenne. Just my 2 cents.

But, probably for a different thead.

🧦
 
Initially, I’m going to take a crack at sorting out what to expect wrt the HUD with Lucid service. Reading through previous owner threads has been helpful. One follow-up question: what does the Lucid owner community believe the feature/functionality of the HUD option was supposed to (eventually) deliver. I realize now that I didn’t have very clear expectations when I added that option to my order. (My wife has now reminded me twice she thought it was a waste of money.) Lucid marketing and engineering teams must have something on the white board describing what their plans/wish list are.
I know some were excited for whatever "augmented reality" was to come. And that's fine. I've experienced some of that in our Porsche Macan EV, where it throws up some moving arrows when it's time to turn, for example. It's a nice extra, but to me it's the basic functions that matter way more. Speed, speed limit, cruise set speed, maybe distance to nav destination, etc. But moreover, it being displayed in the right spot, and being visible. And without glare.

That's where the Gravity HUD is struggling right now -- the basics. Field of view aiming, positioning, tilt, brightness, etc. And glare. What should be the easy stuff.
 
That's where the Gravity HUD is struggling right now -- the basics. Field of view aiming, positioning, tilt, brightness, etc. And glare. What should be the easy stuff.
Exactly.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater or reinventing something that works just fine in other applications/vehicles does not necessarily move the feature forward. In the case of the HUD, they were trying to do something different with hardware and/or placement, where just different display on existing technology would have been fine. As far as I know, the HUD is just a projector (albeit a complicated one) that can display whatever graphics it's told to display. The augmented portion is in the software feeding the display, not the display itself. Hopefully, lesson learned. The hard way.
 
My point was that it is a design issue, not a price issue. I like the external design, so I am happy to put up with limited visuals through the back window. If the car. was half the price, I still would rather have the sleek exterior design with limited visuals than a larger, taller rear end with larger window. I can buy a box for 50K or 220K - but I have the Gravity because I want it to look just like it does. For me, closer to a shooting brake than a minivan or Porsche Cayenne. Just my 2 cents.
Sure, and I expect better design when paying so much more.

Doesn't mean the whole shape of the car has a bad design. Simply locating the wiper on the bottom instead of the top would make a huge difference in rearview mirror visibility. Or getting a little more creative with the wiper design (maybe put it off to the side and use an attenuating blade arm). Or maybe even just do without a rear wiper at all. Our Macan doesn't have one. So far we've found it really it's necessary on that car (although that varies by car design as some really suck the splatter back up).

It still wouldn't have great visibility without that wiper section protruding down, but it would be a lot better than it is now.

Between that and the bad HUD positioning, it still feels like they had someone 5'2" design this car, and never bothered to think tall people might want to drive it. Or simply anyone that wants to set the driver seat higher. Another "WTF were they thinking??".
 
Last edited:
Exactly.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater or reinventing something that works just fine in other applications/vehicles does not necessarily move the feature forward. In the case of the HUD, they were trying to do something different with hardware and/or placement, where just different display on existing technology would have been fine. As far as I know, the HUD is just a projector (albeit a complicated one) that can display whatever graphics it's told to display. The augmented portion is in the software feeding the display, not the display itself. Hopefully, lesson learned. The hard way.
Yep. We can add a dozen more items to that "failing on the easy stuff, even while doing great on some of the hard stuff". The fob, for instance. Reinvented the wheel only to botch it and make us wish they'd just used proven tech.
 
In these days of backup cameras and birdseye view cameras, I do not use view out rear hatch for any mission critical work. Cruising down road I just need a basic view of if I have someone behind me and about how close. Lane changes I use side view mirrors and trust blind spot warning info. In slow speed parking situations, I totally use the cameras. Will not ever own a car without birdseye view camera.
 
Obviously I'm in the minority here but I am happy with it.

I'm 5'8" (that's average height! I'm not short!) and have the seat at the lowest height and not that far reclined back, and my hud is straight and sharp.
So now we know the height of the engineers. Makes them easier to pick out of a lineup. ;)

I know some were excited for whatever "augmented reality" was to come. And that's fine. I've experienced some of that in our Porsche Macan EV, where it throws up some moving arrows when it's time to turn, for example.
Yep, and BMW, Mercedes-Benz. They have overlays of arrows on upcoming exits etc., that's where Lucid is heading. I actually like the current BMW nav implementation a lot.

Those touches are nice and all. But I have a rather small, low rectangle of a HUD in my Land Rover, that echoes the big display moving map with arrows at turns, I'd be happy enough with just that. And it's not "reflection city Arizona" for the cowling either.
 
Is there a video on how the HUD should work of the gravity so without issues I mean? I just checked with the sales rep and I can not test the HUD because the test vehicle does not have HUD unfortunately..🙈
 
I just checked with the sales rep and I can not test the HUD because the test vehicle does not have HUD unfortunately.
This was my case as well. The test vehicles did not have HUD. Probably not an accident.
 
This was my case as well. The test vehicles did not have HUD. Probably not an accident.
Definitely. Then they’ll just show people the website with the package and make out it’s all 100% operational.

1778114817594.webp
 
This was my case as well. The test vehicles did not have HUD. Probably not an accident.
Could be the reason. Sales rep told me I can go visit the service center 1.5h away. There are customer cars which should have HUD and I could look at those.
Definitely. Then they’ll just show people the website with the package and make out it’s all 100% operational.

View attachment 38602
This looks he great and I expected it to be like they without any flaws..
 
Could be the reason. Sales rep told me I can go visit the service center 1.5h away. There are customer cars which should have HUD and I could look at those.
The funny thing about my experience is that I asked about HUD and wanted to see it. The sales rep took me to an inventory car with HUD, but he was fumbling with the app saying "it is not configured," so I could see some graphic elements, but really not an effective show. TBH, they probably know they have a severe HUD problem and are reticent to fully demo the feature in its current state.
 
I find I’d rather have the HUD than not, even in its current form. I have it on its lowest position setting. Having navigation, ACC max, speed, and DDPro Steering info right in my field of vision is useful, once you get used to it.

The only reason to use the awful HUD in its current form is pure stubborn sunk cost delusion. It offers zero convenience or utility over the normal display, and actively makes driving more dangerous and uncomfortable.

I also doubt it can be fixed with software. It’s simply an engineering failure.
 
Is anyone aware of a HUD cover available aftermarket? I'm on team "HUD Off" and I can't imagine I'll ever switch. Maybe it's just me but I find it more annoying to change my eyes' focal distance to read the dang thing, plus the tilt and blurriness and shifting brightness.... I've never had a HUD before though so maybe it's just my personal unwillingness to get used to the change.

...but the reflection of the thing is a real annoyance, whether it's on or off. Kind of a reminder that I should have saved the money and gotten a GT without the tech package, lol.

Also open to material suggestions on a DIY solution. I guess maybe I could cut a piece of cardboard or stiff plastic sheeting and wrap it in black cloth....
 
The funny thing about my experience is that I asked about HUD and wanted to see it. The sales rep took me to an inventory car with HUD, but he was fumbling with the app saying "it is not configured," so I could see some graphic elements, but really not an effective show. TBH, they probably know they have a severe HUD problem and are reticent to fully demo the feature in its current state.

There is no configuration. He just didn’t want to admit the feature is embarrassing garbage.
 
The only reason to use the awful HUD in its current form is pure stubborn sunk cost delusion. It offers zero convenience or utility over the normal display, and actively makes driving more dangerous and uncomfortable.

I also doubt it can be fixed with software. It’s simply an engineering failure.
I could not disagree more. I found the HUD to be very useful, important information displayed clearly without taking my eyes off the road. I really like the HUD. I know that others have a different experience but I suspect there are many more owners that have a good experience with the HUD.
 
My Gravity test drive included a black cloth, which I asked to be thrown over the HUD after about 3 minutes of driving. I just couldn't take it. It was like the optics wanted one of my eyes to rotate.
Having a high driver's display and squirkle steering, Gravity is great without a HUD.
Volvo is moving in that direction as well, with the EX60's flattish steering wheel and a high-mounted driver's display located just below the windshield.
 
Back
Top