Gravity Bugs / Issues

In the interest of contributing data to the community:
My GDE arrived in Seattle (according to my SA) on Thursday, October 9th. Due to being understaffed, they were not able to begin the pre delivery inspection until the 17th, at which point they found a problem with one of the interior door assemblies that apparently requires complete replacement. We are now waiting for a part to come from the factory, ETA unknown. Hopefully they didn't stop there and completed testing everything else and that's the only issue! :D

At the moment, I'm planning to go ahead with delivery... I got a first gen Polestar 3 launch edition last November and it's been a similar rough ride, but has improved quite a bit over the last 10 months. The software is still pretty meh, and buggy, but the ride is good (just half the cargo space of the Gravity in the same exterior footprint). While Polestar has a lot of trouble actually pairing the Apple phone key, and I've had to try repeatedly, once it's actually paired and setup, it works far better than the Tesla or Rivian bluetooth implementation. The UWB is awesome, super precise, super consistent, so hopefully Lucid can get that up and running soon.
 
Maybe you got just an absolute lemon of a car, maybe it was a combo of things, we just can't know. We can wonder and speculate.

Maybe it was combination of bad luck and a car rushed out the door to make a Q2 delivery target (we got June 30 delivery). Someone at Lucid admitted to me that the car was cleared for shipment with no functional inspections having been done of the navigation and other systems. Those checks might have forestalled at least some of the problems we had, and I've also been told Lucid has now implemented these functional checks into their inspection protocols.

And our second Gravity did arrive without the hardware issues of the first car. So I guess that's progress, or at least better luck.

We each were out this morning at the same time in the two Gravities, and both cars again had the issue with music sources going into pause every few seconds: one car while streaming Spotify, and the other car while streaming Tidal and using the USB stick. We were on our cell phones checking with each other, and the pauses were simultaneous.

I'm curious to know if other owners experienced the same thing at the same time and why this has happened several times now in the past week.
 
Specifically to address the question about experience of 'others' (who have not posted extensively), I have had my GGT for two weeks and experience is pretty close to those of @Bunnylebowski, @DrZorro and @borski. The primary issues have been several 'black screen' occurrences that required reboot and numerous 'key not detected' occurrences (resolved with moving the fob around). I installed 3.3.5 immediately upon release, which decreased the instances of both issues (only one 'key not detected' and one 'black screen' since installation. I have not updated key fob software as I have not been having significant issues in that regard (and have chosen to wait and see if others experience better or worse performance following update). Yesterday, I had two new 'warning' lights, one saying "auto high beam" not functioning and another saying some "Dream Drive features" not available. Those warnings remain active, but very candidly, I am not inclined to service/address those particular issue at this time...principally out of fear that other issues/bugs may be introduced (which is really a depressing...but somewhat practical position to take).

As others say...totally delighted with the vehicle's driving performance and really hopeful these bugs will get worked out expeditiously. As additional datapoint, I really only use my fob in a 'passive' way...and the vehicle has never failed to wake up and open whenever I get within 10 feet or so. Experimented with my key cards a couple of times and they seemed to work, but mostly keep them in my wallet as a backup. Net-net, I am technologically savvy enough (inspire of the Grandpa user name) that I am comfortable driving the car (either around town or on the road)...but in no way would my wife be willing to drive it with this number of 'uncertainties', which is really regrettable.
 
I echo what others have said, I'm 4 months in with almost 6000 miles and the car in general has been solid. Even doing 2 road trips with no issues at all. I think @DrZorro summed it up best with the software at the moment, its 2 steps forward and 1 step back but it's not like things aren't being fixed. The number of false alerts that came up from first taking delivery to today are night and day. For me, the false alerts have effectively disappeared since installing 3.3.5 and my fob has been very reliable and working at intended 95% of the time.

That being said, for a car that has "apparently" been out 10 months, some of the software problems are inexcusable. They're just little things that aren't enough to be dealbreakers but just enough to be annoying and Lucid's slowness to fix them is a little frustrating. In the scheme of things, your lighting profile not saving nor being able to navigate to an address sent from your phone aren't top priority to fix given the fob issues and erroneous error messages that were happening but those 2 bugs shouldn't have existed in the first place.

Do I regret getting the car? absolutely not but I wish Lucid would put as much heart and passion into the software as they do the engineering. I do feel Lucid is really starting to get to a point where they're testing the limits of people's patience though. You can apologize for inconveniences 50 times over but at some point they're just words and I feel Lucid is getting to that point, they're just becoming words.
 
Love that I get 12 miles more with Lucid app on Apple iOS
  • Screenshot with WiFi is Apple device
  • Screenshot with 5G is Android
 

Attachments

  • tmp_441d9616-7680-4bed-a4f6-913d4e6fc98d.webp
    tmp_441d9616-7680-4bed-a4f6-913d4e6fc98d.webp
    40.2 KB · Views: 105
  • tmp_29fc136d-bb95-46a3-8954-39058a916e7f.webp
    tmp_29fc136d-bb95-46a3-8954-39058a916e7f.webp
    38.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot_20251021_100904_Lucid.webp
    Screenshot_20251021_100904_Lucid.webp
    26.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20251021_100915_Lucid.webp
    Screenshot_20251021_100915_Lucid.webp
    26.4 KB · Views: 103
I'm going to reply to a couple of your points, not to be argumentative (I really do value your opinions), but in case someone at Lucid is watching this discussion so that they can better understand how this event unfolded and identify its cause(s).

The car unlocked automatically as I approached with the key fob in my pocket. It powered up as I was getting into the car, firing up all the screens, starting the A/C and the music I had been playing from my USB stick. I was squarely in the driver seat and took a moment to pull up another album from the USB stick. I then put my foot on the brake pedal to move the seat into position and put the car in gear. The instant I touched the brake pedal, the screens went black, and the A/C and music shut off. And they stayed shut down for over 20 minutes while I tried reboots, tried getting first Lucid central on the phone and then the Miami SC and then our mobile tech multiple times, and then finally calling my partner to come get me.
I suspect the timing with the brake pedal might be coincidental. Since the update I have seen my do a full wake and then briefly go black screen before booting back up with little to no intervention on my part. The positive I've noticed is that it reboots faster, which shouldn't be something I can easily notice the difference from experience.
 
I posted my experience over the past month with my GGT above, so won't rehash it here except to say I've had none of the major issues others have reported on this thread. I've needed 0 trips to an SC and have never been left stranded. I feel less guilty of being spared those issues now that I've seen that I'm not the only one. :) The minor issues I've had (all software related) I'm not surprised by, since I expected growing pains with a Y1 model from a young car company. I considered this issue carefully before I decided to get the car and as with other parts of life, expectations being met are a key aspect of being satisfied/happy. Now if I couldn't get into or start my car, I would feel very differently since I am expecting to be able to do those things...

I love the car, don't regret getting it, and would definitely get it again. However, I would only recommend it right now to folks who are willing (and able) to deal with the growing pains.
 
Last edited:
If the GDE was my 2nd car, I would be much much more tolerant and patient about all the issues, but as my only vehicle/DD, the car is not proving to be reliable for me. The black screen issue is just crazy difficult. I have been stranded at least 3 times and the car is back in the SC because the FDU died. I gave them a full list of all the other issues and guess we will see what I end up with.
 
I suspect the timing with the brake pedal might be coincidental. Since the update I have seen my do a full wake and then briefly go black screen before booting back up with little to no intervention on my part. The positive I've noticed is that it reboots faster, which shouldn't be something I can easily notice the difference from experience.

It was a stressed enough day yesterday as it was. I had a 10:30 a.m. MRI that ran considerably late, making me tight for an appointment at a medical lab (which I was leaving when the car blanked out). Then I was supposed to get the car to the radar installer for a slot I had waited a month to get, but I was in a time pinch because my partner had a league tennis match. So I had to get to the installer in time for him to pick me up there before his tennis match. (This is why I had to cancel taking the car to the radar installer, as we ran out of time.)

A lot of people have days like this, many more often than I do. On those days, we need a car that just starts and goes when you're ready. No dicking around with waiting for screens to reset, no time to try reboots, no time to get out of the car and let it go through a sleep cycle hoping that will fix something, no time to wait on hold for a call to get picked up by a customer care rep if the other things don't work.

We have two Gravities, and they are not currently cars to be trusted on this kind of day. And having paid over $300K (with tax) for these two cars, I'm not particularly happy about not being able to rely on them even for running around town if staying on a schedule is part of the gig.

I've thought about getting an Uber account so that I can at least get home without tying up someone else's schedule, but we live in a semi-rural area a good ways outside of town, and I don't know if many Uber drivers would even take the call.
 
I’ll chime in as another GT owner from early August with essentially a flawless experience. One minor issue with drivers side mirror not automatically unfolding first thing in the morning and requires a manual push to unfold.

I’m still on 3.2.2 - same software from delivery. It’s working great, I’ll let newer versions bake fully before rolling the dice. 😛
About the same.
New console fixed card issue.
One instance of unresponsive black screen.
I'm on 3.3.3 and will wait awhile on 3.3.5.
 
My "major" issue is that the key card and wireless charging stopped working shortly after taking delivery. It is in service right now getting the center console tray replaced (they are now replacing just the tray with the pinched wire rather than the entire center console).
That's really good to hear.
They replaced entire console for me a few weeks ago.
 
My Gravity has been "offline" since I started my drive to work this morning. I noticed it when I got to my office, as that's where I usually plug in, then adjust the charging level through the app. Later in the day, I had a gap between meetings so took the opportunity to go back out to reboot the car (thinking that would help), but no dice. Still offline. I've quit and relaunched the app a few times too -- still offline.

Anyone have any ideas? Guidance appreciated.

IMG_0085.webp
 
My Gravity has been "offline" since I started my drive to work this morning. I noticed it when I got to my office, as that's where I usually plug in, then adjust the charging level through the app. Later in the day, I had a gap between meetings so took the opportunity to go back out to reboot the car (thinking that would help), but no dice. Still offline. I've quit and relaunched the app a few times too -- still offline.

Anyone have any ideas? Guidance appreciated.

View attachment 33650
Assuming the car has connectivity? Streaming Apps working etc.? I’ve had this happen on the Air once but it rectified itself in a few hours. Could just need an overnight sleep if you’ve got connectivity in the car or something might be up with the TCU.

Also, try signing out of the app and back in and possibly uninstall it and reinstall.
 
Assuming the car has connectivity? Streaming Apps working etc.? I’ve had this happen on the Air once but it rectified itself in a few hours. Could just need an overnight sleep if you’ve got connectivity in the car or something might be up with the TCU.

Also, try signing out of the app and back in and possibly uninstall it and reinstall.
Thanks HC

Streaming apps all work. I tried those when I went down to the car for the reboot. And I was too embarrassed to write this in my original entreaty for support, but I did delete and reinstall the mobile app, thinking that'd help. Maybe a long night's sleep will help. Will keep an eye on it and will report back tomorrow.
 
Thanks HC

Streaming apps all work. I tried those when I went down to the car for the reboot. And I was too embarrassed to write this in my original entreaty for support, but I did delete and reinstall the mobile app, thinking that'd help. Maybe a long night's sleep will help. Will keep an eye on it and will report back tomorrow.
There's a possibility this is leftover from the AWS outage yesterday. Though it's been fixed, we had some computer issues lingering today at work that had residual after effects from yesterday's outage. We know Lucid uses AWS for at least a few things including their phone system.
 
There's a possibility this is leftover from the AWS outage yesterday. Though it's been fixed, we had some computer issues lingering today at work that had residual after effects from yesterday's outage. We know Lucid uses AWS for at least a few things including their phone system.
Great point! Another reason to give it a little time. Thank you.
 
I've thought about getting an Uber account so
Man you have my sympathies. I would likely have had a worse reaction. But grab a glass of wine, maybe get a massage, relax. Have hope that the 3.3.5 update plus fob firmware will bring back your beautiful car. Work your energy towards that. And please keep us updated.

I'd also document everything as the CEO would receive a copy of the details down the road, if it were me.
 
My Gravity has been "offline" since I started my drive to work this morning. I noticed it when I got to my office, as that's where I usually plug in, then adjust the charging level through the app. Later in the day, I had a gap between meetings so took the opportunity to go back out to reboot the car (thinking that would help), but no dice. Still offline. I've quit and relaunched the app a few times too -- still offline.

Anyone have any ideas? Guidance appreciated.

View attachment 33650
This happened to me yesterday and rebooting also didn’t help me. What did resolve it was waiting over night. It was working when I got up this morning. Are you on 3.3.5? I’ve had this problem once and that was since upgrading to 3.3.5, but I’ve had my Gravity since late June.

If correlation is causation then I would have attributed it to the AWS outage, but the fact yours didn’t have the problem until today argues against that.
 
A Tale of Two Gravities (a tragicomic novel):

My partner went to the green Gravity this morning to leave for a tennis match. A few minutes later he came back in to show me a cell phone shot of the driver seat in full recline and asked me what to do. I told him others have reported the same problem on this forum and to reboot the car. He did and left for his match.

Shortly after noon I took the black Gravity to a medical appointment. On the way an earlier problem with the music going into pause repeatedly at frequent intervals resurfaced. After a few miles of driving, it corrected itself, and I made it to the appointment without further misbehavior.

I went back to the car after the appointment. When I opened the door, the car powered up, all the screens lit up, the climate control turned on, and music began to play. I took a second to switch albums, which the system did. I then put my foot on the brake pedal to put the car in gear. All the screens went instantly black, and the music and A/C shut off. I waited a while to see if they would come back on as sometimes happens with partial screen blackouts. Nothing happened.

After several minutes I tried a reboot. Nothing happened.

I called Lucid Customer care and got the voice prompts to choose Sales or Service. I chose Service and got a message that the call was being connected. After a few seconds I got another message saying that there was an "application error", and the call suddenly terminated. I tried again. Same thing. So I called the Miami Service Center. Same thing. (Maybe today's widespread AWS outage took Lucid down?)

It was 92º and I began to swelter, so I lowered the front windows, which were mysteriously still working, and called my partner to come get me. He arrived about twenty minutes later, during which time I tried a couple more reboots and kept trying to reach Lucid only to get the same "application error" messages.

When my partner arrived, I gathered my things to exit the car. But when I tried to close the windows they were now frozen in the down position. Rain was predicted for the afternoon, and I didn't want to leave the car open in a parking lot. So I tried to reach our mobile tech to see if he had any suggestions. No answer.

I decided I had no choice but to leave the car open and hope I could reach Lucid before it started raining. When I tried to open the driver door, it would not open until I pulled the latch very hard to engage the manual release. The horn immediately began blaring. So I got back into the car and closed the door, hoping that would stop the horn. It didn't, but the horn cut itself off after another minute or so. I kept trying to close the windows, and the driver window finally raised about an inch and then froze again. We went through this whole drill a second time (including another blasting horn). After this second cycle, the car suddenly sprang back to life, with everything working (almost).

I had another appointment but decided to skip it, as I dared not go through this again and just wanted to get the damned car home in one piece. As I drove off, I noticed the passenger window had lowered about a third of the way. I raised it again, and it again lowered itself about a third of the way. I tried lowering the window all the way and then raising it. Same thing. Wondering if I had something handy to slit my wrists, I drove off while constantly trying to get the passenger window to stay closed. This continued with the window going up and down for several miles until it finally stayed closed.

I had real hopes that the black Gravity we received three months after the green Gravity would be more problem-free, but those hopes are now gone.

There is NO FUCKING WAY I will put either of these cars on a road trip at this point, and now I won't even use them locally if we're carrying other people. -- two of the main reasons I wanted these Gravities. We'll be keeping our Honda Odyssey for that.

Lucid ought to fire every damn person who had anything to do with the user software in this car and farm the work out to an outfit that knows what it's doing.

Yet Lucid just plows along, putting more of these cars not only into customers' hands, but now loaning them out to car reviewers who are finding out about the interminable key fob entry/start issues and, even worse, with Tom Moloughney of widely-watched "State of Charge" getting a car with a faulty drive unit that badly fumbled his range test and would not work at a Tesla Supercharger (another reason I wanted a Gravity).

I already know that I'm going to have to eat the loss on my Lucid stock position. I've now got to decide whether I'm even keeping the cars.
Good lord. I thought my Air was a turd but at least it drivable unless the windshield gets really dirty cuz the wipers don’t spray 😂
 
Do I regret getting the car? absolutely not but I wish Lucid would put as much heart and passion into the software as they do the engineering. I do feel Lucid is really starting to get to a point where they're testing the limits of people's patience though. You can apologize for inconveniences 50 times over but at some point they're just words and I feel Lucid is getting to that point, they're just becoming words.

This sums up my feelings perfectly. Well said.
 
Back
Top