Gravity 75 mph Range

I'm with Kyle Conner ("Out of Spec Motoring") on this one: the Gravity's charging speed and plug-and-charge access to Tesla Superchargers has made highway range largely irrelevant for the vast majority of owners.

On the one long road trip we've managed to take in our Gravity Dream, we drove it the way we pleased -- between 80-90 mph -- and found ourselves needing to stop for bathroom breaks as much as for charging stops. And when we did charge -- always at Superchargers because EA sucks in the southeast -- we usually found the car was finished or almost finished charging before we finished our other business on the stopover.

I'm curious to see the credible real-world highway speed tests from Conner, Tom Moloughney, and a few others. But it would make no difference to us in deciding whether to take the Gravity on a road trip versus any other car, EV or ICE.

The superb power, driving dynamics, comfort, and quiet of the Gravity on the road, however, would make all the difference.
 
I strongly agree that the charging speed and NACS-accessibility are total EV game changers in favor of Gravity.

I may get less efficiency from a Gravity than my current Model S. My lifetime miles/kwh is about 3.1 - admittedly I probably drive like a granny most of the time; I am usually below 65 unless I'm road tripping. So if I get under 3 with Gravity, which I expect based on some of your numbers, it's actually a slight regression. (Probably to be expected since I am going from a sedan to a much larger SUV) But the larger pack (I have a 75kWh pack now) plus the fast charging make this a total no-brainer. Gravity will probably charge 4x faster than my Model S at Superchargers. And with the daily range increase, I'll be able to do long days driving back and forth to out of town club sports games and not worry about it.

We'll see whether Gravity tempts me to much lower miles/kwh numbers with its acceleration and driving dynamics.
 
We'll see whether Gravity tempts me to much lower miles/kwh numbers with its acceleration and driving dynamics.

It will. And you'll find you won't mind.
 
What??!!...you mean pressing the accelerator actually uses energy?
Damn that F=MA thing!
 
This seems unlikely. Drag increases with the square of the velocity. The slight flattening of the curve as it heads out to 85 shouldn't be the case.
Drag isn't the only range influencing factor though. I do lose range in my Model 3 when I go faster, but not at an exponential rate, more like what is shown here.
 
I don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention this - I hope Kyle does when he does the OOS test.

The mode you’re in (smooth, swift or sprint) impacts your range. I’ve noticed my efficiency goes down even in very similar driving and I expect it’s because different HP is available depending on the mode. It’s not massive, but it’s definitely got a noticeable impact.
 
I don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention this - I hope Kyle does when he does the OOS test.

The mode you’re in (smooth, swift or sprint) impacts your range. I’ve noticed my efficiency goes down even in very similar driving and I expect it’s because different HP is available depending on the mode. It’s not massive, but it’s definitely got a noticeable impact.
Yes - even just using Sprint with Highway Assist will lower efficiency fairly significantly. More torque/HP.
 
Your thought prompted me, so I asked perplexity (as a search tool). Key points:
Lucid’s engineering team outlines that:
  • Smaller, more aerodynamic wheels reduce air drag and rolling resistance and allow the car to travel further per kWh.
  • Larger, wider tires or stickier compounds provide more grip for performance but sap efficiency, using more energy per mile.
anyone have experience with what the efficiency drop off with the inserts removed on the Orion (21/22) wheels is? trying to decide if I'm going to pop mine out. I have the lug nut caps and center cover in a bag with the delivery.
 
I don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention this - I hope Kyle does when he does the OOS test.

The mode you’re in (smooth, swift or sprint) impacts your range. I’ve noticed my efficiency goes down even in very similar driving and I expect it’s because different HP is available depending on the mode. It’s not massive, but it’s definitely got a noticeable impact.
Oh. That’s strange. I wish there was a way to assign the suspension firmness independently. I find Smooth to be a bit floaty for me.
 
Yes - even just using Sprint with Highway Assist will lower efficiency fairly significantly. More torque/HP.

The nice thing about the Gravity is that you only need to engage Sprint for really spirited driving which is almost always local. For cruising down the interstate at pretty much any speed you want -- and passing with gusto when called for -- there is plenty of power in Smooth mode.

Another nice feature is that, if you want a momentary power bump, you can switch to a perkier mode with a quick tap of a steering wheel button instead of the tedious exercise you have to go through in the Air, which requires getting to the Home Screen on the Pilot Panel and then looking down to find the mode button.

I really, really wish the Air would put a permanent drive mode button in the upper left corner of the Pilot Screen that is always there and that you can find by feel.
 
I really, really wish the Air would put a permanent drive mode button in the upper left corner of the Pilot Screen that is always there and that you can find by feel.
Or perhaps allow the programmable physical button to be a mode cycle.
 
Or perhaps allow the programmable physical button to be a mode cycle.

Unfortunately, the Air doesn't have a user-programmable button or toggle switch such as the Gravity has.
 
Oh. That’s strange. I wish there was a way to assign the suspension firmness independently. I find Smooth to be a bit floaty for me.
I think you can use the drive modes to change suspension firmness and damping, and then manually override the ride height.
 
Unfortunately, the Air doesn't have a user-programmable button or toggle switch such as the Gravity has.
Sorry, i lost the plot there, didn't realize you were back to talking about Air. Duh.
 
Sorry, i lost the plot there, didn't realize you were back to talking about Air. Duh.
FWIW, just so there’s no confusion, Gravity does let you set the steering wheel custom button to switch drive modes.
 
Back
Top