Google Is Getting Ready to Kill Off Android Auto for Phones Once and for All

DJL

Verified Owner
I will be the first to admit that I know nothing about Andriod Auto. However, I have read in this forum that there are a lot of folks anxiously awaiting for the Lucid Air to be compatable with it. However, I just read this article on Autoevolution regarding how Google with be stopping its support of it by the end of this year. Again, I am fairly ignorant of this subject but I am posting this information here so others more adept and knowledgeable on this subject can read the article and offer any saliant advise. To read the article, just click HERE.

Google has incorporated Android Auto functionality into the OS, so there is no longer a reason for a separate app. Nothing is going away.

This may just be a misunderstanding.

Google has stated that you can no longer operate Android Auto using you phone as the display -- it must use an AA in dash head unit to display output. Prior to this, you could just run the app on the phone while you were driving around and the info would just display on the phone.

See also: https://support.google.com/androidauto/answer/9468382?hl=en

For Android 12 and higher, Android Auto's equivalent function to a phone display is done through Google Assistant instead of a separate app. Plugging the phone into a car's system and display works exactly as before, except no phone app is needed.

Back