Frunk Issue

sanandreasfaults

Reaction score
Cars
Touring 2024
Less than 2 weeks after purchasing a Touring this summer, the frunk jammed; not an uncommon issue. Repair apparently done improperly by service center, so it failed again. I am now 2 months into awaiting the relevant part that is unavailable “indefinitely.” Local studio unable to provide any more information. Meanwhile, the frunk is unusable as it has been since purchase. Totally unacceptable, particularly for an expensive, luxury car.

I had a frunk issue too. the chrome plastic piece that spans across and in front of the hood wasnt aligned properly, preventing hood to open. haven't repaired it yet, I parked the car in the hot SoCal sun and forgot about it. the heat softened the plastic, I have dad brain, I forgot, so I opened it.

now the frunk opens and the chrome piece is broken. delivery team documented the issue before I picked it up, so i'm not worried about it.

My frunk closes properly 1/2 of the time. Kind of embarrassing to have to get back out of the car and reclose... They stated they took care of it and then the next time I used it, the frunk didn't close properly. I have a call tonight to work with the Service Team for resolution.

I had this issue shortly after delivery myself (I never thought to check the front when taking delivery--- ooops) and it's since been fixed and I rarely use my Fronk now.. go figure

Our car has been sitting in a parking lot next door to a carwash since yesterday morning. After going through the carwash I tried to open the frunk to dry underneath the lip, but the passenger-side latch jammed yet again. This time no software reboots either by me or by Customer Service could free it, and the car is stuck in "turtle mode". Lucid has been trying to get a tow truck there since yesterday, but still no luck. I called to see if the mobile tech could come today to see if he could free it enough for me to get the car home. But he was working over two hours away today and couldn't get there.

The frunk did the same thing the day before our most recent road trip. Customer Service told me that latches were failing in some cars and had to be replaced -- something that can only be done in a Service Center, as the front bumper has to come off and the lidar recalibrated. As we were about to leave on a trip, they sent a mobile tech who was able to free the latch. He said it was a misaligned trim piece and that the latch didn't need to be replaced.

This is the umpteenth time I've had trouble with the frunk lid, but only the first time it has stranded me. The parking lot the car is in sits between a restaurant and a Goodwill store, neither of which knows who owns the lot. Since all the surrounding businesses are very busy with full parking lots, I have to leave the car there. I'm not happy right now.

Our car is still waiting for a tow truck, which is being sent down from Orlando (200 miles away) to take the car to Miami (another 125 miles). As a stockholder, I don't even want to think about what it's going to cost Lucid to get this frunk lid operating properly.

The irony is that we drove the car over to the Miami Service Center two days ago to look at the Gravity they had on display. I could have left the car there and come home in a loaner had they scheduled the latch replacement after the most recent frunk service call.

These latches are not just occasionally snagging. They are entering failure mode and should be scheduled for replacement in affected cars before the cars are rendered undriveable and strand drivers.

I gave up trying to get mine fixed. My solution is to use key fob and open frunk twice. 1st time releases drivers side latch, second time releases passenger side. What is really strange is that sometime the fob will open both sides while the button on the dash never does.

I gave up trying to get mine fixed. My solution is to use key fob and open frunk twice. 1st time releases drivers side latch, second time releases passenger side. What is really strange is that sometime the fob will open both sides while the button on the dash never does.

Mine had shown the same behaviors. At some point, your frunk will not release at all and put your car into "turtle mode", leaving you stranded if you happen not to be at home.

Not all cars experience this problem, but for those that do it is a progressive situation (according to Lucid Customer Care) that will eventually lead to total latch failure.

P.S. I just got an alert through the app that the frunk was open. It turned out the car was being loaded into the transport truck, and this was a warning that the car was being moved with an unlatched lid, not that the lid was functioning again. On one of the prior episodes at home when nothing could get the frunk to open, including software reboots, it opened normally the next day after sitting overnight. I thought that might have happened again. Not this time, though. The lid is still caught between open and closed, and the car is still in "turtle" mode.

Last edited:
Mine had shown the same behaviors. At some point, your frunk will not release at all and put your car into "turtle mode", leaving you stranded if you happen not to be at home.

Not all cars experience this problem, but for those that do it is a progressive situation (according to Lucid Customer Care) that will eventually lead to total latch failure.
I can’t wait! 😢

I can’t wait! 😢

My strong advice is not to use the frunk until you can schedule a latch replacement at your convenience. Don't let Customer Service blow you off about it, especially given how chronic your problem is. No one should have to drive a car this expensive and not be able reliably to access one of its main cargo spaces.

Can you imagine being on a road trip, having your car go into "turtle mode" . . . and having any luggage stowed in the frunk inaccessible? (With the trunk, at least you can reach through the backseat ski pass to release the latches to drop the back seat rests.)

People do not despair! I had major frunk problems since delivery. It took 2 times at service center and then a whole new frunk latch system... Never had issues with the frunk again it's been over a year and it's been amazing. So keep pushing for the repair and it'll be taken care of

Took delivery a couple months ago and immediately had a couple frunk failures where I couldn’t get it to open all the way, and yet I also couldn’t get it back latched. Every time I was away from home and stuck in turtle mode and looking like an idiot in a parking lot trying to fool with my car. Every time it would take several attempts of trying to force it closed, and only the button on the dash to try and pop it open again, where I could get it to release and finally free myself. I thought it was just my vehicle so I stopped using the frunk altogether, until I popped on this forum and saw it was common. Called my service center in Roswell last week, and thought I might have to argue for a full replacement, but that’s the first thing they suggested. They immediately diagnosed the passenger side latch as a failure and replaced both latches - and tested it multiple times over the next 2 days (I kept getting alerts) before saying they felt confident in the fix. Hoping this is the one and only time I have to worry about the frunk. I’m thinking they are taking notice that the only real “fix” is full replacement - so hopefully all the service centers are catching on now. Roswell has really been phenomenal with their attention to detail, from delivery to service, in my experience.

People do not despair! I had major frunk problems since delivery. It took 2 times at service center and then a whole new frunk latch system... Never had issues with the frunk again it's been over a year and it's been amazing. So keep pushing for the repair and it'll be taken care of

Customer Care told me the failure is induced by water getting into the latches. It sounds as if Lucid reengineered either the latches or the area around them to deal with the water problem.

My strong advice is not to use the frunk until you can schedule a latch replacement at your convenience. Don't let Customer Service blow you off about it, especially given how chronic your problem is. No one should have to drive a car this expensive and not be able reliably to access one of its main cargo spaces.

Can you imagine being on a road trip, having your car go into "turtle mode" . . . and having any luggage stowed in the frunk inaccessible? (With the trunk, at least you can reach through the backseat ski pass to release the latches to drop the back seat rests.)
If there was anything in there I needed I get it open. And if the car went into turtle mode due to a stuck frunk on a road trip and I didn’t have a loaner of some kind or accommodations within a couple hours I’d let my legal and PR team off their leashes.

If there was anything in there I needed I get it open. And if the car went into turtle mode due to a stuck frunk on a road trip and I didn’t have a loaner of some kind or accommodations within a couple hours I’d let my legal and PR team off their leashes.

It's probably easier just to get the latches replaced. 🥴

It's probably easier just to get the latches replaced. 🥴
I’ve tried a couple times. Two onsite trips for service found no problem. 1st tech had to leave without reviewing with me as I was busy working. Tried as soon as I could and wouldn’t open. 2nd time opened with service tech watching and frunk opened once but not 2nd time. Had to reschedule. At some point the time investment just isn’t worth all the effort.

I had a frunk issue too. the chrome plastic piece that spans across and in front of the hood wasnt aligned properly, preventing hood to open. haven't repaired it yet, I parked the car in the hot SoCal sun and forgot about it. the heat softened the plastic, I have dad brain, I forgot, so I opened it.

now the frunk opens and the chrome piece is broken. delivery team documented the issue before I picked it up, so i'm not worried about it.
I had this also.
My frunk edge would slightly rub on the front trim bezel.
One day it got caught, and the frunk ripped it up, breaking the bezel clip. Also chipping paint.
My service center had the car for a week, fixing it. They put a new bezel on, and adhesive-ed it in place, while also having a body shop fix the paint.
Looks good as new now.
(They also replaced the pilot panel computer I guess, which is nice, since things are far less laggy).

I’ve tried a couple times. Two onsite trips for service found no problem. 1st tech had to leave without reviewing with me as I was busy working. Tried as soon as I could and wouldn’t open. 2nd time opened with service tech watching and frunk opened once but not 2nd time. Had to reschedule. At some point the time investment just isn’t worth all the effort.

I think it's time to talk to a service manager and maybe show him this thread. Or even bump the matter up to Zak Edson, the VP of Sales & Service. I don't know how long you've had the car, but if the latches finally fail after the warranty period, you're going to have a hefty repair bill on your hands given the bumper removal involved.

Just got the work order for my frunk issue. Lucid is replacing both the frunk latches.

Back