Front Ends

Psymac

image.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 5.39.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 5.52.55 PM.png

The choice is clear...

I'm not going to buy it, but I do like that mean look on the BMW.

The fake grilles on EV’s just mystify me. The front of the car can look extremely elegant without them if the lines work. The Range Rover Velar is a great example - the nose isn’t busy and doesn’t have a grille dominating. Why add it when you don’t need it?

Also, the BMW (and all other) split headlights just offend my design sense on a fundamental level. It’s like they’re trying to hide the headlights with the daytime running lights being all slim, and then “surprise they’re down here!” It makes the nose look unbalanced and overloaded. The only EV concept which has done them right is the A6 e-Tron, mainly because they’re tiny and hidden away in the vents.

I read a few years back that the larger grill designs were to please the Chinese market. Mercedes, BMW and Audi sales are the largest in China.

I read a few years back that the larger grill designs were to please the Chinese market. Mercedes, BMW and Audi sales are the largest in China.
I’ve read and heard the same, but I don’t believe it is as necessary as they think. Tesla sells like mad in China without any grille, and Nio design has followed suit. It strikes me more as a fear of change in their brand identity instead of an actual desire by customers in the market.

Back