Florida - Recommended Body Shop for Collision Repair

Page 3 of my repair story. So I just posted that Windermere Collision hourly rate is $125 while USAA estimate used $95, resulting in a $15K gap. I dropped the car off yesterday so USAA will now start working with Windermere. I am expecting either or both to call me, advising me that I must pay the difference. Amy negotiating advice?

I might not have remembered correctly, but I've heard the name Windermere and think it might be the body shop that Lucid was adding to their certified list at the time my wrecked Lucid was being evaluated.

As for negotiating advice, you are having the same issue I had with State Farm. The insurance company is responsible for repairing your car to pre-crash condition, up to the coverage limits of the policy. If they won't pay the cost charged by a Lucid-certified body shop (and all in Florida charge higher than standard rates), then tell USAA you will send the car to one of their network shops, and it's up to them and their approved shop to secure the parts -- parts which Lucid won't sell to a non-certified shop if they are related to safety or structure of the car. When State Farm found out this was the case, they had to back off their position.

Also, if another driver was at fault in the accident, that driver is responsible for any costs his/her insurance won't pay, as long as they are reasonable. In this situation, where Lucid won't supply parts to a non-certified shop, it's reasonable to use a shop to which Lucid will supply parts, even if that shop's rates are higher than community standard.

Thanks so much for the advice. In anticipation of potential problems I just emailed USAA advising them that the negotiation is between USAA and Windermere and that if they are not able to reach an agreement in which my out-of-pocket is $0 (minus deductible) to please advise me which body shop they would like me to take it. We'll see how it goes.

Page 2 of my story. So, #1 Dayas Collision in Orlando was purchased by another company & no longer works on Lucid. #2 My USAA rep suggested Windermere Collision in Winter Park. Dropped it off yesterday. Despite not being on the approved Lucid list & not mentioned in this Forum, Windermere actually has a dedicated Lucid rep, Peter, & I saw 5 Lucids on the property so I'm hopeful. #3 Peter told me that USAA hourly rate on my estimate was $95 per hour, but they charge $125 due to more experienced staff. Not sure how this will play out. Stay tuned.
Chip- Jake Rodenroth here. Please keep me posted on your repair experience.. We have officially onboarded Windermere and they are an excellent shop.

Page 3 of my story. Need some advice. My USAA engaged an outside adjuster who provided a second estimate. It is still about $5K lower than the Windermere Collision Center Orlando quote. All of that difference is a result of Windermere's non-negotiable $125 hourly rate and the adjuster's $95 cap. Whoopee. Guess who's expected to pay the difference?

Below is an email from Windermere stating that, essentially, I'm screwed. If USAA doesn't budge, then I must pay the additional $5K. Hammer #2 from Windermere? Any delay caused by the negotiation process results in a $500 PER DAY fee that I must pay. Any advice?

5.17.23 email from Windermere
"Good afternoon sir. Our policy is attached, and specifically related to any differences between insurance approval and our final bill, the vehicle owner is responsible to pay for that difference as detailed on page 4. It is also relevant to point out page 2 regarding vehicle removal fee, as we have completed disassembly, ordered parts, received parts, written an invoice, etc. if there is a decision made to have the vehicle removed prior to completion, all of the fees listed in that section would come into play. Additionally, Lucid parts are not available for purchase at non-authorized collision centers, so if the vehicle were to be removed from (Windermere) (at USAA direction) to go to another shop, it would need to be a Lucid authorized collision center. As a result of the significant training and tooling investments that have been made (at Windermere) to gain the knowledge and required tooling to work on Lucid vehicles, we do not negotiate our rates with any insurance company. We have found that USAA is one of the better insurance companies when it comes to handling Luxury/EV’s, and we will continue to do our part to work with USAA but our rates are not negotiable."

Advice?

Page 3 of my story. Need some advice. My USAA engaged an outside adjuster who provided a second estimate. It is still about $5K lower than the Windermere Collision Center Orlando quote. All of that difference is a result of Windermere's non-negotiable $125 hourly rate and the adjuster's $95 cap. Whoopee. Guess who's expected to pay the difference?

Below is an email from Windermere stating that, essentially, I'm screwed. If USAA doesn't budge, then I must pay the additional $5K. Hammer #2 from Windermere? Any delay caused by the negotiation process results in a $500 PER DAY fee that I must pay. Any advice?

5.17.23 email from Windermere
"Good afternoon sir. Our policy is attached, and specifically related to any differences between insurance approval and our final bill, the vehicle owner is responsible to pay for that difference as detailed on page 4. It is also relevant to point out page 2 regarding vehicle removal fee, as we have completed disassembly, ordered parts, received parts, written an invoice, etc. if there is a decision made to have the vehicle removed prior to completion, all of the fees listed in that section would come into play. Additionally, Lucid parts are not available for purchase at non-authorized collision centers, so if the vehicle were to be removed from (Windermere) (at USAA direction) to go to another shop, it would need to be a Lucid authorized collision center. As a result of the significant training and tooling investments that have been made (at Windermere) to gain the knowledge and required tooling to work on Lucid vehicles, we do not negotiate our rates with any insurance company. We have found that USAA is one of the better insurance companies when it comes to handling Luxury/EV’s, and we will continue to do our part to work with USAA but our rates are not negotiable."

Advice?

I'm assuming there is not another driver who is liable for the damage to your car, in which case that driver would be responsible for what insurance doesn't cover.

That being the case, I think you only have one card left to play. Tell USAA you will agree to use a repair facility whose rates they will pay, and leave it to USAA and that facility to figure out how to procure parts necessary for the repair.

Thanks for the advice. I sent an email yesterday to USAA staying just that. That it was the first USAA adjuster who recommended Windermere and that if they prefer another body shop to please advise me so long as our pre-agreed criteria of having repaired "at least 1 Lucid" is met. And that USAA would be responsible for the cost of transporting the car to the shop of their choice & for assuring that their shop will be able to get parts from Lucid. (In another forum thread, a member told a story of an insurer selecting a shop only to find out that Lucid would not sell parts to them so the insuror had to transport the car back to the original shop & pay the higher price.) I've heard nothing back yet from USAA, but I'm getting the vibe that I'll lose out in the end.

Back