First time luxury/EV owners, are there any changes to driving habits?

nasilemak

Questions like:

1. Are you more conscious about where you park?
2. Would you drive it as much to remote areas (eg. beach, hiking etc.) that are prone to a lot of dirt and dust? And also parking off road.
3. How do you deal with charging anxiety? (albeit it being a minor issue with lucid)
4. Is crime/theft/break in etc. a concern? Sentry mode will not be an option for Lucid from what I gathered.

Questions like:

2. Would you drive it as much to remote areas (eg. beach, hiking etc.) that are prone to a lot of dirt and dust? And also parking off road.
3. How do you deal with charging anxiety? (albeit it being a minor issue with lucid)
4. Is crime/theft/break in etc. a concern? Sentry mode will not be an option for Lucid from what I gathered.
1. Initially yes but it is been 8 weeks now since I got the car and now I am doing the same thing as my old ICE car
2. I have taken the car to two hiking spots so far and haven’t had any issues driving on unpaved path. But I have followed the advice from this forum and not driving into pot holes.
3. I haven’t taken long distance yet and the maximum I have driven one way is 110 miles so far. Again following the advice in this forum I have downloaded the ABRP and other charge station apps for long distance travel. I have charged in a EA station once and at charge point stations 2 times ( one at office and one time at an event center parking). Otherwise I charge at home whenever my charge comes down to 40%.
4. So far no. It has the same liability as any other car. Sentry mode in Tesla came 8 or 9 years after their first model s introduction. Since there are so much learning and advancement in tech I believe Lucid will catch up all value added features sooner than what Tesla did.

Questions like:

1 - Initially yes, now just normal, also PPF added extra protection.

2 - I’m more conscious with 21” not to wander onto unpaved road, if I do, it has to be very low speed.

3 - Only initially when seeing EA chargers outside of Houston not working. Now, not much. Maybe I bc I haven’t wander off civilization.

4 - Always parked in garage unless traveling, no break in concern, but do have attention concern.

A little. But I find I park it in lots as I would any other car. Of course, I would not park any car in, say, San Francisco.
not really planning on driving into remote areas. If I was, would have probably bought something like a Rivian. But not a problem on dirt or gravel roads. I just take it slow to avoid getting rock dings and scraping the bottom as the Lipicid rides so low.
I look for EA chargers earlier than I would normally due To the fact that many have problems.
only in San Francisco :oops:

only in San Francisco :oops:
Yes, indeed. I parked my rental car on street instead of garage in SF downtown area. Next day rear window was smashed. Enterprise rent-A-car said that is very standard.

Yes, indeed. I parked my rental car on street instead of garage in SF downtown area. Next day rear window was smashed. Enterprise rent-A-car said that is very standard.
I had my window smashed once IN a parking garage while I was at work when I lived in SF. And that was over a decade ago. They seem to have done little about this problem since. Every time I visit I get told by friends that it's still a huge issue. Shame. I love that town.

Questions like:

1. Slightly more, but most of the time, no.
2. Yes. Considering how much I love to drive this car, I have driven it to more places than any other car.
3. I don't have any, but hace only taken day trips so far.
4. No. There are tons of cars in the same price range around (and lots that are more) so I am not worried.

I had my window smashed once IN a parking garage while I was at work when I lived in SF. And that was over a decade ago. They seem to have done little about this problem since. Every time I visit I get told by friends that it's still a huge issue. Shame. I love that town.
How do you stop people from breaking into cars?

How do you stop people from breaking into cars?
My full answer to this would be too political for a car forum. But something something stop giving giant tax breaks to companies like Twitter, who only increase the wealth inequality downtown. Affordable housing. Mental health services. And on and on.

There are people in SF who are trying. But the city has a whole has never had the political will to tackle the root causes.

Questions like:

If the weather is nice I don’t mind walking further and parking out. Most of the time I park it in the closest available space.
Yes. I‘ve been to beach on both coasts and in a dust storm in the desert. You’re going to be very limited in terms of off road due to the low clearance.
Plan ahead using EA, plug share, ChargePoint, and EVgo apps. I will frequently stop and charge charge at 30-40% back to 80% to keep my options open.
In many areas the car is a novelty and attracts attention, but I’m no more worried about break ins than with any luxury sedan.

1. Definitely don't park in "compact" spaces like in my Prius. Only park in spaces that aren't going to be a tight fit but I park in the closest one that meets that criteria.
2. Yes - as long as there is sufficient projected charge to get to a charger.
3. Same as @Sandvinsd - charge a little sooner so I can bypass and go to next location if necessary
4. Not any more than with any other car.

As someone that has only had mass market vehicles before, what really changed for me is when I need to move over a lane and there's a spot 5 cars ahead and 2 cars behind with limited time/space to move over, I probably would have slowed to get in the spot behind but now, I just accelerate into the spot ahead. Turning from a side street onto a fast moving main street only requires a small space since I can accelerate and not make the car behind me slow down. The choices for how to handle situations expands. As @Bobby wrote, luxury is about having choices and in terms of driving habits, the car fits that definition of luxury.

Back