First test drive- First impressions

3500 miles in ten weeks with gradually lower ambient temperatures in the hilly terrain that surrounds me. 3.5 mi/kWh total over 3500 miles but only in the high 2's as the weather has gotten colder. I figure on 3 mi/kWh overall this winter on winter compound tires that are softer than the AS tires. Have to keep psi at 49. The OP's i4 experience is impressive. The fact is that there are a number of variables that impact efficiency so comparisons are difficult. Like the OP, I do not push it and during the week my trips are often only a couple of miles, so not especially efficient. The driving experience more than makes up for less efficient driving intervals for me.
Thanks for the datapoint, much appreciated. That's he kind of observation I've been hoping to see. Just out of curiosity, where do you live?

If you exam the certifications on the EPA website (open to public), you'd see that the EPA did retest a significant number of results from manufactures (Lucid included). Notice that manufacturers have option of keeping their number, or the EPA number, whichever LOWER.

Moreover, I believe most manufacturer do not conduct the EPA test themselves, majority of them sent out the work to an independent contractor/facility in Arizona.

Simply entering the manufacture info (and model) into this link. The results are quite comprehensive.

If given the choice, why would a manufacturer keep the lower of the two numbers? Something doesn't sound right.

I thought I had read that most manufacturers do the testing themselves and the EPA does spot checks for accuracy.

I suppose it may be getting old precisely because many are less than happy with the delta between the heavily touted high efficiency (by Rawlinson himself) and owners actual experience. Just a guess.

My criteria are comfort, handling, range & efficiency (the latter two are obviously linked). Sure you can keep installing larger and larger batteries for greater range, but one of Lucid’s virtues was to be higher efficiency so that great range could be achieved without huge batteries & extra weight.

To answer the part of your question I can answer, the i4 can reliably go 320 miles in nice weather. The part I can’t answer and precisely why I’m engaging in this discussion, is to get a handle on the Lucid part of this equation. It may well be, based on what I’m hearing thus far, there will be little difference in full charge range between the Pure and the i4.

I suspect I’m spinning my wheels here (bad pun) and only more hands on experience with the Lucid will answer that.

I apologize if I’m being a pain here, but I’m just trying to learn from owner’s experience.
I think yours is a great question and agree with your logic if the i4 can go 320 miles in nice weather is it actually the same as a Pure even though it is rated as higher.

It is like you have one manufacturer with a very conservative range and the other very aggressive. I know we will hear from some on this forum it is the EPA, but I could care less about EPA, when the real world numbers can be so different. I would rather be surprised with more range, than disappointed with a lot less, as you feel you are getting ripped off by the worse range than advertised.

Thanks for the datapoint, much appreciated. That's he kind of observation I've been hoping to see. Just out of curiosity, where do you live?
NH

Given we have the same height, I'm curious to know your impression of the driving position, especially with respect to the center armrest. Because when I had my test drive, a few months ago, I found it was a bit too far back, as if the car was built for very tall drivers.

I’m 5’7” on a good day, and the driver position fits like a glove. I am not a fan of the center console in general. My wife is 5’ and also finds it easy to get a comfortable driving position. It does take a while to find the perfect settings.

I agree with Rogue. Drive it and enjoy it. Know going into the deal that your efficiency numbers will most likely be lower than stated. that shouldn't take away from your enjoyment of the car.

i don't know where on the Island you live. I live in Plainview. I am planning to put a Lucid charger in my garage and charge the vehicle as necessary. Probably when it gets 50% down.

Anytime you would like to meet over a cup of coffee to discuss the car, let me know.

My concern is when are they going to open the Plainview Service Center. It is right around the corner from where I live and it would certainly provide a comfort zone.

I agree with Rogue. Drive it and enjoy it. Know going into the deal that your efficiency numbers will most likely be lower than stated. that shouldn't take away from your enjoyment of the car.

i don't know where on the Island you live. I live in Plainview. I am planning to put a Lucid charger in my garage and charge the vehicle as necessary. Probably when it gets 50% down.

Anytime you would like to meet over a cup of coffee to discuss the car, let me know.

My concern is when are they going to open the Plainview Service Center. It is right around the corner from where I live and it would certainly provide a comfort zone.
Hey Grubie, we actually lived in Plainview for about 25 years! We were on Randy Lane in Plainview. We moved east to one of Michael Dubb's condos, similar to the one he's now building in Plainview on Old Country Road by the Tesla chargers.

FWIW, the sales advisor who I was with for the test drive was thinking the service center won't actually open in the first quarter because she said work had suddenly stopped awhile ago for unexplained reasons. So who knows?

I might actually take you up on getting together one day, might be fun. We can PM with details.

Hey Grubie, we actually lived in Plainview for about 25 years! We were on Randy Lane in Plainview. We moved east to one of Michael Dubb's condos, similar to the one he's now building in Plainview on Old Country Road by the Tesla chargers.

FWIW, the sales advisor who I was with for the test drive was thinking the service center won't actually open in the first quarter because she said work had suddenly stopped awhile ago for unexplained reasons. So who knows?

I might actually take you up on getting together one day, might be fun. We can PM with details.
That would be cool. ****@****.com. BTW, I just stopped by the service center site since there was a Lucid there waiting for a test drive. The Lucid SA thought 6-8 months. My guess is the Town of Oyster Bay is probably giving Lucid a problem. They always do.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be cool. *****.com. BTW, I just stopped by the service center site since there was a Lucid there waiting for a test drive. The Lucid SA thought 6-8 months. My guess is the Town of Oyster Bay is probably giving Lucid a problem. They always do.
Mine is ****@****.com

Yup, the TOB always does that. Was the tester the same silver AT I drove?

Mine is ***@****com

Yup, the TOB always does that. Was the tester the same silver AT I drove?
Nope, a white GT. The silver AT looked very sharp.

My Pure reservation is for a silver. I didn't even realize they had a white. I thought it was only the black in the Studio and the silver for test drives.

It's hard to believe in a couple of weeks it will be 2 years since I put in my reservation. Obviously I still haven't received a call to finalize.

I think yours is a great question and agree with your logic if the i4 can go 320 miles in nice weather is it actually the same as a Pure even though it is rated as higher.

It is like you have one manufacturer with a very conservative range and the other very aggressive. I know we will hear from some on this forum it is the EPA, but I could care less about EPA, when the real world numbers can be so different. I would rather be surprised with more range, than disappointed with a lot less, as you feel you are getting ripped off by the worse range than advertised.
It literally is the EPA though, and dismissing that doesn’t make it less relevant. The EPA allows for two different kinds of tests; one which is less optimistic, and one which is more optimistic. The American manufacturers tend to pick the optimistic one, and the German manufacturers tend to pick the less optimistic one. That’s the difference.

So, sure - you could argue that one is misrepresenting range by using the optimistic test, but it is well within the law to do that, and is actively encouraged as an option by the EPA. You can still hit that range, you just have to drive like a grandma.

Joe, don't numbers that vary from 2.1 to 4.2 tell you something regarding Lucid's efficiency claims? My goodness, Lucid claims 4.6 or thereabouts. I would expect to see at least a certain percentage getting Lucid's advertised efficiency if they're even remotely accurate. If nobody is getting it, nobody, then certainly one is justified in questioning the accuracy of their claims. Understand, please, I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here, I'm just trying to gather facts & experiences from owners.
This summer I did close to 200 mile test varying between 60-75mph, with some traffic an on ramps with 19” wheels. 3.8- 4.0 mi/kWh. No idea what wind there was, and there were not flat surfaces. So is that acceptable or a strike against Lucid? You’ll notice I subtracted the 9 miles from my house plus the interstate on ramp getting up to 70mph (I got 4.0 mi/kWh without that, 3.8 over 200 miles including that 9 mile stretch). This proves that stop/go driving plus accelerating from zero to 70mph takes a huge hit on efficiency.

Attachments

• DCD66A75-A68E-4FF7-8909-8F7053666AE1.jpeg
    DCD66A75-A68E-4FF7-8909-8F7053666AE1.jpeg
    963.2 KB · Views: 87
I’ve never really had an issue hitting almost epa numbers, weather permitting. This was during the summer when temps were friendly. This wasn’t in one drive either, this is my commute.

Attachments

• DBA20E97-3D82-4038-9B30-C6A6084E2960.jpeg
    DBA20E97-3D82-4038-9B30-C6A6084E2960.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 121
There is so much time spent on efficiency. I find it hard to believe anyone paid 150k plus for a Lucid Air for a 10-30 % bump in efficiency over the competition. After a year and 7k miles of ownership, I am averaging 3.3 m/kWh with the DEP Lucid. Large tires, with covers removed, and driving it the way it needs to be driven. Would I like 4 m/kWh? sure. Do I care that it will cost me an extra 75 bucks over 10k m/y ? Nope. For me it's the car dynamics and the service that separates the Lucid air from the competition.

There is so much time spent on efficiency. I find it hard to believe anyone paid 150k plus for a Lucid Air for a 10-30 % bump in efficiency over the competition. After a year and 7k miles of ownership, I am averaging 3.3 m/kWh with the DEP Lucid. Large tires, with covers removed, and driving it the way it needs to be driven. Would I like 4 m/kWh? sure. Do I care that it will cost me an extra 75 bucks over 10k m/y ? Nope. For me it's the car dynamics and the service that separates the Lucid air from the competition.
Mike, I think the ‘obsession’ over efficiency is because it’s one of the most highly touted features of the car. Rawlinson himself has beaten this topic to death. So when some owners aren’t getting anywhere near the stated efficiency numbers, discussions will ensue. I think this is true regardless of the price of the car…or perhaps precisely because of the price of the car. ;)

I really enjoy experimenting with the efficiency numbers to see what conditions are most amenable to better battery performance. It’s just a fun exercise ( For me anyway ) . It’s also a lot of fun to not give a crap about m/ kWh and just drive naturally or insanely or however you want.
Rest assured, in warm weather and especially during certain highway trips , very high efficiency numbers are easily achievable . Winter trips in very cold temperatures should be prepared for accordingly , as your numbers will drop by up to 20-40%, without question.
I have screwed around trying to bump up my m/kWh , and in winter it’s really difficult for me to get above 2.8.
It hasn’t decreased my enjoyment of or enthusiasm for the vehicle, not a bit.

EVs are not gas cars. Good efficiency in EV world means more range thus less range anxiety. It has little or nothing to do with saving money.

Back