First Road Trip in My Gravity Dream Edition

I think a lot of Tesla owners might be using their 3s or Ys as an appliance. They're not car people. When I'm charging my Tesla s and I see non Tesla charging, I always wanted to check it out. Curiosity, and genuine interest in seeing others taking advantage of the NACS network. I'm really into cars, so maybe that's why I'm thinking if they're car people. They'll be interested. I get a lot of interest when charging the Gravity. People will come by and ask questions (when I say lots, it's the 4 stops doing SoCal NorCal roundtrip, did this 3 times already), or surprised they're already being delivered. Mostly younger males asking.

-iThinkEV-
 
This week, I took my first real road trip in my Gravity -- and damn, this car is a roadtripping beast!

I drive between San Francisco and Palm Springs several times a year, and this was my first time making the trek since taking delivery of my Gravity Dream Edition last month.

On this inaugural trip, I backed out of my garage at my home in San Francisco at a 100 percent SoC, and arrived at my usual first stop (Kettleman City) for food and a restroom break, and still had an SoC in the high 20’s when I hit the Kettleman City offramp. In my Model X Plaid, I’d usually have to stop at a Supercharger in Firebaugh for about 5-10 minutes to top up if I had any hope of arriving in Kettleman City at my preferred arrival SoC of 10%. Super impressed with the efficiency of Gravity, especially considering I have a lead foot, this is a less-efficient Dream Edition and is running on the 22/23 summer tires.

Kettleman City also afforded me the ability to try an Electrify America EV Fast Charging station for my first time ever. I was expecting there to be problems given how much I’ve read about the miserable reliability of EA stations, so imagine how pleasantly surprised I was to plug in (using my supplied Lucid CCS to NACS adapter), watch the handshake happen (in mere seconds!) and the charging session started without me ever interacting with the touchscreen on the charger! Plug-N-Charge worked perfectly! The best I was able to pull at this 350kW station was 311kW, but that’s a lot higher than anything I’d ever experienced in my Model X. I was giddy 😜

View attachment 31761View attachment 31762

Several people walked by to check out the car, and one nice couple who’d pulled up in a Volkswagen ID.4 gestured for me to lower my window. They said they’d heard production had started on the Gravity and were excited to see their first one in the wild. The husband was hilarious. He said “…I’m not going to ask you whether you love it or not, because I can see it written all over your face! Congratulations — enjoy it!” Then they took off.

I didn’t charge quite to 80% during the EA session because I knew I’d want to stop to try a Tesla Supercharger a little closer to my destination.

I ultimately stopped at Ontario Mills (for the uninitiated, it’s a massive mall in California’s inland empire — SE of Los Angeles). I chose this location because it was just over three hours’ drive, which I’ve learned is the limit of my bladder on these long trips haha!, and because they had new 325kW chargers. I arrived at such a ridiculously high SoC for a charging stop that all I was able to pull at a sustained rate was ~220kW, but it held that rate for a long time.

One interesting contrast between my Electrify America experience vs Tesla Supercharger experience — the people. At EA, people allowed themselves to be curious; culminating with that friendly couple in the ID.4. However, at the supercharger, I chuckled to myself at how the Tesla folks were actively (and some were aggressively) NOT casting even a passing glance at the Gravity. It was as if I'd infiltrated a Borg cube and for a time was out of phase with them and, therefore, invisible as they went about their robotic ways hahaha! I was actually relieved since I didn’t want to have to spend time answering more questions; especially from Tesla acolytes who may have been present. 20 stalls — all full (including my Gravity) and the people there couldn’t have cared less. Bliss.

I stopped charging at about a 60% SoC and drove the final hour and fifteen minutes to my house in Palm Springs, and DAMN, doesn’t the Gravity look GREAT in the driveway?! 😍

View attachment 31763

I’ve driven Interstate 5 between Northern and Southern California so many times that I can literally anticipate how each different bit of highway is going to feel; right down to the texture of the road surface on certain stretches, and can say this car manages those hundreds of miles of I-5 BETTER than any car I’ve owned. That includes a couple of very luxurious BMW 7 series variants (the last of which I'd dubbed ‘The Palm Springs Express’). My Gravity (Velocitron) has snatched the ‘Palm Springs Express’ crown from the previous wearer — the 2016 7-series.

Be it charging performance, efficiency, interior comfort or ride quality — I really can’t get over what a marvel of engineering this thing is. Sooo damned GOOD!
Thank you for this post, I will say my bladder has no where near a three hour capacity so we stop to charge more frequntly anyway😎 I am so looking forward to getting our Gravity ( in October PLEASE!)
 
This week, I took my first real road trip in my Gravity -- and damn, this car is a roadtripping beast!

I drive between San Francisco and Palm Springs several times a year, and this was my first time making the trek since taking delivery of my Gravity Dream Edition last month.

On this inaugural trip, I backed out of my garage at my home in San Francisco at a 100 percent SoC, and arrived at my usual first stop (Kettleman City) for food and a restroom break, and still had an SoC in the high 20’s when I hit the Kettleman City offramp. In my Model X Plaid, I’d usually have to stop at a Supercharger in Firebaugh for about 5-10 minutes to top up if I had any hope of arriving in Kettleman City at my preferred arrival SoC of 10%. Super impressed with the efficiency of Gravity, especially considering I have a lead foot, this is a less-efficient Dream Edition and is running on the 22/23 summer tires.

Kettleman City also afforded me the ability to try an Electrify America EV Fast Charging station for my first time ever. I was expecting there to be problems given how much I’ve read about the miserable reliability of EA stations, so imagine how pleasantly surprised I was to plug in (using my supplied Lucid CCS to NACS adapter), watch the handshake happen (in mere seconds!) and the charging session started without me ever interacting with the touchscreen on the charger! Plug-N-Charge worked perfectly! The best I was able to pull at this 350kW station was 311kW, but that’s a lot higher than anything I’d ever experienced in my Model X. I was giddy 😜

View attachment 31761View attachment 31762

Several people walked by to check out the car, and one nice couple who’d pulled up in a Volkswagen ID.4 gestured for me to lower my window. They said they’d heard production had started on the Gravity and were excited to see their first one in the wild. The husband was hilarious. He said “…I’m not going to ask you whether you love it or not, because I can see it written all over your face! Congratulations — enjoy it!” Then they took off.

I didn’t charge quite to 80% during the EA session because I knew I’d want to stop to try a Tesla Supercharger a little closer to my destination.

I ultimately stopped at Ontario Mills (for the uninitiated, it’s a massive mall in California’s inland empire — SE of Los Angeles). I chose this location because it was just over three hours’ drive, which I’ve learned is the limit of my bladder on these long trips haha!, and because they had new 325kW chargers. I arrived at such a ridiculously high SoC for a charging stop that all I was able to pull at a sustained rate was ~220kW, but it held that rate for a long time.

One interesting contrast between my Electrify America experience vs Tesla Supercharger experience — the people. At EA, people allowed themselves to be curious; culminating with that friendly couple in the ID.4. However, at the supercharger, I chuckled to myself at how the Tesla folks were actively (and some were aggressively) NOT casting even a passing glance at the Gravity. It was as if I'd infiltrated a Borg cube and for a time was out of phase with them and, therefore, invisible as they went about their robotic ways hahaha! I was actually relieved since I didn’t want to have to spend time answering more questions; especially from Tesla acolytes who may have been present. 20 stalls — all full (including my Gravity) and the people there couldn’t have cared less. Bliss.

I stopped charging at about a 60% SoC and drove the final hour and fifteen minutes to my house in Palm Springs, and DAMN, doesn’t the Gravity look GREAT in the driveway?! 😍

View attachment 31763

I’ve driven Interstate 5 between Northern and Southern California so many times that I can literally anticipate how each different bit of highway is going to feel; right down to the texture of the road surface on certain stretches, and can say this car manages those hundreds of miles of I-5 BETTER than any car I’ve owned. That includes a couple of very luxurious BMW 7 series variants (the last of which I'd dubbed ‘The Palm Springs Express’). My Gravity (Velocitron) has snatched the ‘Palm Springs Express’ crown from the previous wearer — the 2016 7-series.

Be it charging performance, efficiency, interior comfort or ride quality — I really can’t get over what a marvel of engineering this thing is. Sooo damned GOOD!
Seems we were in the vicinity of each other. I went from SF to Joshua Tree last Sunday and was in Palm Springs last Tuesday.

I avoided EA like the plague and solely used Tesla chargers with a flawless experience. Although, I tested out the RAN charger in Joshua Tree and that just worked as well.

Totally agree with you, this car is a roadtripping beast…..4,500 miles and counting!
 
This week, I took my first real road trip in my Gravity -- and damn, this car is a roadtripping beast!

I drive between San Francisco and Palm Springs several times a year, and this was my first time making the trek since taking delivery of my Gravity Dream Edition last month.

On this inaugural trip, I backed out of my garage at my home in San Francisco at a 100 percent SoC, and arrived at my usual first stop (Kettleman City) for food and a restroom break, and still had an SoC in the high 20’s when I hit the Kettleman City offramp. In my Model X Plaid, I’d usually have to stop at a Supercharger in Firebaugh for about 5-10 minutes to top up if I had any hope of arriving in Kettleman City at my preferred arrival SoC of 10%. Super impressed with the efficiency of Gravity, especially considering I have a lead foot, this is a less-efficient Dream Edition and is running on the 22/23 summer tires.

Kettleman City also afforded me the ability to try an Electrify America EV Fast Charging station for my first time ever. I was expecting there to be problems given how much I’ve read about the miserable reliability of EA stations, so imagine how pleasantly surprised I was to plug in (using my supplied Lucid CCS to NACS adapter), watch the handshake happen (in mere seconds!) and the charging session started without me ever interacting with the touchscreen on the charger! Plug-N-Charge worked perfectly! The best I was able to pull at this 350kW station was 311kW, but that’s a lot higher than anything I’d ever experienced in my Model X. I was giddy 😜

View attachment 31761View attachment 31762

Several people walked by to check out the car, and one nice couple who’d pulled up in a Volkswagen ID.4 gestured for me to lower my window. They said they’d heard production had started on the Gravity and were excited to see their first one in the wild. The husband was hilarious. He said “…I’m not going to ask you whether you love it or not, because I can see it written all over your face! Congratulations — enjoy it!” Then they took off.

I didn’t charge quite to 80% during the EA session because I knew I’d want to stop to try a Tesla Supercharger a little closer to my destination.

I ultimately stopped at Ontario Mills (for the uninitiated, it’s a massive mall in California’s inland empire — SE of Los Angeles). I chose this location because it was just over three hours’ drive, which I’ve learned is the limit of my bladder on these long trips haha!, and because they had new 325kW chargers. I arrived at such a ridiculously high SoC for a charging stop that all I was able to pull at a sustained rate was ~220kW, but it held that rate for a long time.

One interesting contrast between my Electrify America experience vs Tesla Supercharger experience — the people. At EA, people allowed themselves to be curious; culminating with that friendly couple in the ID.4. However, at the supercharger, I chuckled to myself at how the Tesla folks were actively (and some were aggressively) NOT casting even a passing glance at the Gravity. It was as if I'd infiltrated a Borg cube and for a time was out of phase with them and, therefore, invisible as they went about their robotic ways hahaha! I was actually relieved since I didn’t want to have to spend time answering more questions; especially from Tesla acolytes who may have been present. 20 stalls — all full (including my Gravity) and the people there couldn’t have cared less. Bliss.

I stopped charging at about a 60% SoC and drove the final hour and fifteen minutes to my house in Palm Springs, and DAMN, doesn’t the Gravity look GREAT in the driveway?! 😍

View attachment 31763

I’ve driven Interstate 5 between Northern and Southern California so many times that I can literally anticipate how each different bit of highway is going to feel; right down to the texture of the road surface on certain stretches, and can say this car manages those hundreds of miles of I-5 BETTER than any car I’ve owned. That includes a couple of very luxurious BMW 7 series variants (the last of which I'd dubbed ‘The Palm Springs Express’). My Gravity (Velocitron) has snatched the ‘Palm Springs Express’ crown from the previous wearer — the 2016 7-series.

Be it charging performance, efficiency, interior comfort or ride quality — I really can’t get over what a marvel of engineering this thing is. Sooo damned GOOD!
Really nice post, thank you. My first ev was a 2018 Model S 100D. So many things bugged me about Tesla and still does even though I sold and left tesla after 6 months. It's so funny to read your Tesla owner comments as I've felt that way since 2018. I'm curious so if someone else is charging, I'll usually start a conversation. For some reason, I've had little luck getting Tesla owners to talk and I've never understood that. Tesla doesn't make a luxury car (sorry Tesla people but that is the truth) adding leather seats doesn't make it luxury. It was the most Spartan vehicle I've owned that was newer than 1980. The interior noise was deafening. The efficiency was not great, about the same as my rivian. Tesla service swore it was normal. The best thing I can say is there charging system is better but ccs1 DC charging is catching up. The software is me refined but it should be because it's had a 10 year head start. One odd story..I just finished topping up my rivian in central Cali. There were 6 ccs1 chargers and 29 Tesla chargers. There were never more than 3 Tesla charging but fit sums reason, tesla owners would choose to park in the ccs1 spots. While there was a line for ccs1, I finally asked a tesla guy why he parked there when taka was wide open. He said it was close to the restaurant he was going to and he didn't want to block any Tesla spots. When I pointed out the cars waiting on line for the ccs1 charges, he shrugged and said "they should've bought a Tesla". I, by no means think that this is typical of Tesla drivers, but as I waited for my family to finish shipping, I saw 3 more Tesla do the same thing and walk to the same restaurant. Is it just California or was this just an aberration? After finding Tesla owners les willing to make eye chat and start a conversation, it makes me wonder. My Gravity gt is set to be delivered Saturday with a 5000 mile roadtrip set for Sunday. I do miss my air gt though.
 
Really nice post, thank you. My first ev was a 2018 Model S 100D. So many things bugged me about Tesla and still does even though I sold and left tesla after 6 months. It's so funny to read your Tesla owner comments as I've felt that way since 2018. I'm curious so if someone else is charging, I'll usually start a conversation. For some reason, I've had little luck getting Tesla owners to talk and I've never understood that. Tesla doesn't make a luxury car (sorry Tesla people but that is the truth) adding leather seats doesn't make it luxury. It was the most Spartan vehicle I've owned that was newer than 1980. The interior noise was deafening. The efficiency was not great, about the same as my rivian. Tesla service swore it was normal. The best thing I can say is there charging system is better but ccs1 DC charging is catching up. The software is me refined but it should be because it's had a 10 year head start. One odd story..I just finished topping up my rivian in central Cali. There were 6 ccs1 chargers and 29 Tesla chargers. There were never more than 3 Tesla charging but fit sums reason, tesla owners would choose to park in the ccs1 spots. While there was a line for ccs1, I finally asked a tesla guy why he parked there when taka was wide open. He said it was close to the restaurant he was going to and he didn't want to block any Tesla spots. When I pointed out the cars waiting on line for the ccs1 charges, he shrugged and said "they should've bought a Tesla". I, by no means think that this is typical of Tesla drivers, but as I waited for my family to finish shipping, I saw 3 more Tesla do the same thing and walk to the same restaurant. Is it just California or was this just an aberration? After finding Tesla owners les willing to make eye chat and start a conversation, it makes me wonder. My Gravity gt is set to be delivered Saturday with a 5000 mile roadtrip set for Sunday. I do miss my air gt though.
Congratulations on the imminent delivery of your Gravity GT! You’re going to LOVE it!!
 
Really nice post, thank you. My first ev was a 2018 Model S 100D. So many things bugged me about Tesla and still does even though I sold and left tesla after 6 months. It's so funny to read your Tesla owner comments as I've felt that way since 2018. I'm curious so if someone else is charging, I'll usually start a conversation. For some reason, I've had little luck getting Tesla owners to talk and I've never understood that. Tesla doesn't make a luxury car (sorry Tesla people but that is the truth) adding leather seats doesn't make it luxury. It was the most Spartan vehicle I've owned that was newer than 1980. The interior noise was deafening. The efficiency was not great, about the same as my rivian. Tesla service swore it was normal. The best thing I can say is there charging system is better but ccs1 DC charging is catching up. The software is me refined but it should be because it's had a 10 year head start. One odd story..I just finished topping up my rivian in central Cali. There were 6 ccs1 chargers and 29 Tesla chargers. There were never more than 3 Tesla charging but fit sums reason, tesla owners would choose to park in the ccs1 spots. While there was a line for ccs1, I finally asked a tesla guy why he parked there when taka was wide open. He said it was close to the restaurant he was going to and he didn't want to block any Tesla spots. When I pointed out the cars waiting on line for the ccs1 charges, he shrugged and said "they should've bought a Tesla". I, by no means think that this is typical of Tesla drivers, but as I waited for my family to finish shipping, I saw 3 more Tesla do the same thing and walk to the same restaurant. Is it just California or was this just an aberration? After finding Tesla owners les willing to make eye chat and start a conversation, it makes me wonder. My Gravity gt is set to be delivered Saturday with a 5000 mile roadtrip set for Sunday. I do miss my air gt though.
Sorry for ago the spell check errors. As a long ago spelling bee champion, I don't usually proofread too much but with the newer ai speell check, it's necessary energy time.
 
Really nice post, thank you. My first ev was a 2018 Model S 100D. So many things bugged me about Tesla and still does even though I sold and left tesla after 6 months. It's so funny to read your Tesla owner comments as I've felt that way since 2018. I'm curious so if someone else is charging, I'll usually start a conversation. For some reason, I've had little luck getting Tesla owners to talk and I've never understood that. Tesla doesn't make a luxury car (sorry Tesla people but that is the truth) adding leather seats doesn't make it luxury. It was the most Spartan vehicle I've owned that was newer than 1980. The interior noise was deafening. The efficiency was not great, about the same as my rivian. Tesla service swore it was normal. The best thing I can say is there charging system is better but ccs1 DC charging is catching up. The software is me refined but it should be because it's had a 10 year head start. One odd story..I just finished topping up my rivian in central Cali. There were 6 ccs1 chargers and 29 Tesla chargers. There were never more than 3 Tesla charging but fit sums reason, tesla owners would choose to park in the ccs1 spots. While there was a line for ccs1, I finally asked a tesla guy why he parked there when taka was wide open. He said it was close to the restaurant he was going to and he didn't want to block any Tesla spots. When I pointed out the cars waiting on line for the ccs1 charges, he shrugged and said "they should've bought a Tesla". I, by no means think that this is typical of Tesla drivers, but as I waited for my family to finish shipping, I saw 3 more Tesla do the same thing and walk to the same restaurant. Is it just California or was this just an aberration? After finding Tesla owners les willing to make eye chat and start a conversation, it makes me wonder. My Gravity gt is set to be delivered Saturday with a 5000 mile roadtrip set for Sunday. I do miss my air gt though.
That makes zero sense - why would any Tesla owner choose to pay significantly more by charging at a non-Tesla SC when the superchargers are open? And why would a Tesla owner not want to block a Tesla spot? None of this makes any sense.
 
That makes zero sense - why would any Tesla owner choose to pay significantly more by charging at a non-Tesla SC when the superchargers are open? And why would a Tesla owner not want to block a Tesla spot? None of this makes any sense.
He said parked in, not charging at a CCS spot. Big difference.
 
Makes even less sense as Tesla owners know about basic etiquette with charging spots. I’ve never seen this behavior anywhere.
Tesla owners USED to know about this etiquette. Now that the 3 and Y are mass market cars, most owners are clueless. At least, that’s been my experience.
 
Makes even less sense as Tesla owners know about basic etiquette with charging spots. I’ve never seen this behavior anywhere.
I've seen Tesla owners pull into SC sites sideways blocking multiple spaces in a M3 or MY more than once, for no reason at all I can tell other than when they got there they had to have been the only car. Many Tesla drivers do not know about any kind of etiquette IMO. Just look at how often there's random trash just dumped on the ground at SC sites too.
 
We’ve got a roadtrip this weekend where the destination requires valet parking (long story, but there’s no way around it).

Because I am so paranoid, we will be takings our X! I don’t want to risk the valet parking or driving our Gravity! I hope she/he parks the X so it slides off a cliff and we can get insurance proceeds! 😆
 
We’re in Tahoe this weekend. Gravity handled like a beast. Had one issue where everything was delayed by like half a second; I mean everything. Cameras, changing speeds in DA, etc. A steering wheel reboot fixed it.

Charged at a supercharger with like twelve stalls. Zero issues. Plugged in, peed at a closed jack in the box across the street, and life was grand.
 
We’re in Tahoe this weekend. Gravity handled like a beast. Had one issue where everything was delayed by like half a second; I mean everything. Cameras, changing speeds in DA, etc. A steering wheel reboot fixed it.

Charged at a supercharger with like twelve stalls. Zero issues. Plugged in, peed at a closed jack in the box across the street, and life was grand.
So the Jack in the Box was closed? Did you pee in the bushes around back?
 
That was option 2. Option 1 was knock and ask nicely, and that worked. :)

Good thing you weren't trying to find a bathroom while waiting for someone at the Miami Airport cell phone lot. No Porta-Johns, and every convenience store bathroom for miles around is mysteriously "out of order". Fortunately there is a highway overpass at the back of the lot that casts enough of a shadow that you can, at least at the right time of day, manage a go without being too exposed to passing traffic.
 
Fortunately there is a highway overpass at the back of the lot that casts enough of a shadow that you can, at least at the right time of day, manage a go without being too exposed to passing traffic.
It is surprising to me that peeing on cars from a highway overpass would leave you unexposed to passing traffic in any way.

But hey, I’m in.

It’s raining!
 
It is surprising to me that peeing on cars from a highway overpass would leave you unexposed to passing traffic in any way.

But hey, I’m in.

It’s raining!

I wasn't clear. The overpass arches over the back of the cell phone lot. You stand under the overpass to do the deed.

Apparently Miami has decided to deal with its homeless population by making sure no sanitary facilities are available to members of the public. Hence no port-a-johns at places like cell phone lots, and every bathroom at every inner city convenience store "out of service".
 
We’re in Tahoe this weekend. Gravity handled like a beast. Had one issue where everything was delayed by like half a second; I mean everything. Cameras, changing speeds in DA, etc. A steering wheel reboot fixed it.

Charged at a supercharger with like twelve stalls. Zero issues. Plugged in, peed at a closed jack in the box across the street, and life was grand.
which SC is your fav stop going up to Tahoe ??(assuming you only needed one stop)
 
Back
Top