Finally got great wiper performance

L-Dude

Active Member

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2025
Messages
1,347
Reaction score
1,726
Location
SE US
Cars
2025 Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
KYSLYZ47
So, it turns out I am an idiot. (Apparently my wife knows this, but I've fooled others.) I've had my AGT almost a year, and I haven't had any problems with it at all. I mean nothing. It is an astounding car in every way. Except the wipers. From day one, my wipers have left a wet streak right in my eye line. Not a big deal, but not optimum. It hasn't bothered me at all because it hasn't rained here in about 6 months. For some reason, I recently read several threads about wiper replacement, blade replacement etc etc. Buried in each of those threads was some advice about cleaning your wiper blades. I never bothered cleaning because my problem looked like it was due to poor contact between the blade and windshield.

For some reason yesterday (probably due to the pain meds) I decided to clean my wipers and my windshield. Holy crow what a difference!! Streaks are gone. Windshield is perfect. What a stupid I am! (any golfers out there ;)) I want to apologize to Lucid for criticizing their wiper design when really it was just dirty blades. 🤷‍♂️
 
So, it turns out I am an idiot. (Apparently my wife knows this, but I've fooled others.) I've had my AGT almost a year, and I haven't had any problems with it at all. I mean nothing. It is an astounding car in every way. Except the wipers. From day one, my wipers have left a wet streak right in my eye line. Not a big deal, but not optimum. It hasn't bothered me at all because it hasn't rained here in about 6 months. For some reason, I recently read several threads about wiper replacement, blade replacement etc etc. Buried in each of those threads was some advice about cleaning your wiper blades. I never bothered cleaning because my problem looked like it was due to poor contact between the blade and windshield.

For some reason yesterday (probably due to the pain meds) I decided to clean my wipers and my windshield. Holy crow what a difference!! Streaks are gone. Windshield is perfect. What a stupid I am! (any golfers out there ;)) I want to apologize to Lucid for criticizing their wiper design when really it was just dirty blades. 🤷‍♂️
Nothing a little rubbing alcohol couldn't fix. :) Keep a pack of wipes in the car :P
 
I’ve tried a million things. Sometimes cleaning them helps for a short while but they seem to go back to terrible after I park and get back in. Even when they’re working as well as they can they leave somewhat of a haze in my eye line right where the wiper blade connects to the arm. And on the very end of the blade although that’s less annoying since it’s at the edge.
 
Ok this is wild. Thought it was just me.
 
For some reason yesterday (probably due to the pain meds) I decided to clean my wipers and my windshield. Holy crow what a difference!! Streaks are gone. Windshield is perfect.
Congrats on your success. A caveat, however: Some wiper blades feature a functional coating at their contact edge. Rubbing that edge to clean it will accelerate the removal of the coating.

For example, if you clean the edge of a wiper blade and see deep black or dark gray left on the towel, almost certainly you are removing the graphite coating from that blade. Similarly, Rain-X brand blades feature (unsurprisingly) the special Rain-X formulation on their contact edge (which has to be activated by water).

My guess is that, whereas you might have cleared the blades' contact edge of debris, a big part of your success here was cleaning the greasy patch on the windshield, underneath where the wiper blades rest.
 
Congrats on your success. A caveat, however: Some wiper blades feature a functional coating at their contact edge. Rubbing that edge to clean it will accelerate the removal of the coating.

For example, if you clean the edge of a wiper blade and see deep black or dark gray left on the towel, almost certainly you are removing the graphite coating from that blade. Similarly, Rain-X brand blades feature (unsurprisingly) the special Rain-X formulation on their contact edge (which has to be activated by water).

My guess is that, whereas you might have cleared the blades' contact edge of debris, a big part of your success here was cleaning the greasy patch on the windshield, underneath where the wiper blades rest.
Good point, but not the case here. The manual explicitly states: “You should periodically check and clean the wiping edge of the wiper blade. Clean the blade edge using a soft cloth or sponge, and isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol or windshield washer fluid.”

Manual: https://publications.infotainment.p...tml#GUID-01EDC265-B424-499B-A35B-CCCBB9648934
 
My joy was short lived. The streaking is back 😥
 
That is too bad, but I think your first premise was correct. There is some sort of flaw in the blade beam design with a low pressure zone is right in the line of sight.

Cleaning blades as been a recommendation for years. The black is not a coating, its the oxidized rubber being cleaned off. Pro tip; use WD-40 to clean the blades. Spray on a rag and then wipe down the rubber.
 
I have the same issue. Service center said they could manually bend the wiper arm, then they didn’t. I raised it when I picked up car from recent service, they said they have never heard of the issue before, meanwhile the loaner air I had had the same issue. It’s really annoying. Cleaning blades didn’t work for me, there is definitely too much pressure on the middle of the drivers blade causing the streak. This is actually my one gripe with the car
 
Back
Top