Extending Lease miles

Sal89

Reaction score
Cars
Lucid Air Pure
Referral Code
5P93WABM
I leased an Air Pure for 36months with 12k/year miles. Just commuting to work, it seems I will reach 12k miles in 9-10 months. But I also know that during the 3rd year of the lease, I won't be commuting much to the site, so there will be less car use. Question is do you have to report mileage at the end of every year (or the cat reports over the air) OR would it be fine if I go over 12k the first and second year of the lease, and at the end of the lease I keep the miles at 36k mark.
Once leased, can you extend the yearly miles?
This is my first time leasing a car, so don't know how it works.

My understanding is, you are good as long as you are within 36k within the 3 years. When I calculated my lease, it comes to around 13 cents a mile to pre-pay (36k in your case). Any excess over that is charged at 25 cents per mile. I too plan to drive more during the first two years and reduce the usage on the 3rd year. I was able to do that with my previous leases. If for some reason I exceed it, I will pay 25 cents per mile for additional miles. Let’s say if I drive 10k over by the lease end, I will need to pay Lucid $2.5k at the end of the lease versus $1300 if I would have pre-paid for it while I was leasing. Hope it makes sense?

I don’t think they will adjust the mileage post executing the lease. Please let me know what you would find out. If they allow it, I might take advantage of it as well.

At lease turn-in you would pay a penalty fee for each mile you exceed your total mileage limit which should be listed on your lease contract.

I just called LFS to see if the miles can be increased and they referred me to Sales. I have an inquiry out now. I kind of regret choosing 12k instead of 15k lol.

I just called LFS to see if the miles can be increased and they referred me to Sales. I have an inquiry out now. I kind of regret choosing 12k instead of 15k lol.
Keep us posted! I too regret not opting for more miles!

I texted my salesperson, and he told me there was no other option than paying .25 per excessive mile at lease return. This is the case once the contract is executed. I think that makes sense. Please let me know if you hear something different.

Thank you all. From what I learned here is 1) there isn't an option to increase the lease term miles. 2) You would only pay for the excessive miles at the lease return, not at the year mark. So, I can drive 15k/year for 2 years and then limit to 6k for the 3rd year (if I don't want to pay for the excessive miles).
Another thing came to my mind, does the wear&tear charge applies to the miles driven or to the leased years? Is wear&tear included in the .25/mile for excessive miles?

Thank you all. From what I learned here is 1) there isn't an option to increase the lease term miles. 2) You would only pay for the excessive miles at the lease return, not at the year mark. So, I can drive 15k/year for 2 years and then limit to 6k for the 3rd year (if I don't want to pay for the excessive miles).
Another thing came to my mind, does the wear&tear charge applies to the miles driven or to the leased years? Is wear&tear included in the .25/mile for excessive miles?
Not sure on the second question but: keep in mind that while contract terms are generally not modifiable after signing/executing the contract, what happens at the end of the contract is between the parties to the contract.

Meaning: when you give up the car at the end of the lease (or a month or two before the end, or whatever), companies are generally incentivized to keep you in the brand. The money they will make from reselling the car is not massive, especially because Lucid has set its residuals fairly aggressively, it seems. But they make a lot of money from loyalty, and keeping you within the brand.

If you have excess miles, or a small amount of damage, or bald tires, or something... provided you are interested in either a new lease or purchasing a Lucid, there is a chance they will be willing to negotiate with you. I have no idea, because to my knowledge nobody has ever finished a Lucid lease yet.

When I leased my first Mazda, I had 42k miles on a 36k mile lease, and the dealership ate the 6k mile overage, as well as the last two months of the lease, to give me a great price for the trade-in so that I would buy a new Mazda, which I then did (I loved the car). That happens all the time at the end of leases, in other car brands. I have no idea what will happen with Lucid.

Tesla is known for screwing you at the end of leases and dinging you at every possible turn, but they are the only company I know of that does.

Back