Excessive Battery Drain

mooth

My new touring has 3300 miles on it. I have always questioned the amount of battery used per trip. Last trip was 220 miles from battery to go 137miles. Thats 160%. No air, no heat, no wipers, no lights, no wifi....just cruise control set on 60 MPH for 80% of trip.

Please comment on your experience

I only went about 30 miles yesterday, 30% highway 70% local. For that trip I was 4.2 in about 60 degree temps with the HVAC set to auto. My lifetime with 5,000+ miles is 4.1.

60 MPH will pretty much get you EPA numbers. Tell us more about your case. Are you using numbers since last charge or one of the trip counters? How many stops did you make and how long did the car sit since it was last charged? The since last charge numbers include all energy used even when not driving. The trip counters only calculate energy used while driving.

I only went about 30 miles yesterday, 30% highway 70% local. For that trip I was 4.2 in about 60 degree temps with the HVAC set to auto. My lifetime with 5,000+ miles is 4.1.
It’s interesting how you are getting 4.1. My lifetime(7000 mi) average is 3.7 and I drive 30% highway(CNJ to NNJ on turnpike) and 70% local. Do you drive at 60-65? I always drive 70-75 and 55-60 local

Local speeds are all over the place depending upon traffic and limits. Highway speeds probably average about 65. In some of the lousier winter weather I’d tend to take the i4, so that also helps the Lucid’s lifetime #s at the expense of the BMW.

There are just so many variables that it's next to impossible to peg an "average" efficiency number. I drive an Air Touring, about 50 percent on the Interstate and 50 percent around town. My average efficiency after 10K miles is 3.6. I generally set the heat to 67 degrees in the winter and use the seat heaters.

Yes, 60 mph in steady driving without a strong wind can achieve about the EPA figure. But who drives at 60 mph these days unless you drive only on secondary highways? My Honda Accord hybrid only achieves its EPA rated mileage between 50-60 mph.

Last December driving my Air Touring at 70 mph on a 38 degree day with a howling wind and rain my Air barely managed 2.8. On some light wind summer days I've managed 4.1 at 70 mph.

Every pound of weight you put in the vehicle reduces efficiency. And don't forget proper tire inflation.

My new touring has 3300 miles on it. I have always questioned the amount of battery used per trip. Last trip was 220 miles from battery to go 137miles. Thats 160%. No air, no heat, no wipers, no lights, no wifi....just cruise control set on 60 MPH for 80% of trip.

So, if I'm understanding you, you are getting around 2.8 miles/kWh, which is quite low for the way you characterize your driving. I suggest you try resetting your trip computer for your next few trips, and take a photo of a few results. If you're running that low, I would talk to customer service. Talk about your miles/kWh, as I think the '160%' you mentioned will not make any sense to them. (I'm assuming you are not driving in a super cold area, and that you are not 'launching' the car to 60 MPH every time you stop. :) )

It’s interesting how you are getting 4.1. My lifetime(7000 mi) average is 3.7 and I drive 30% highway(CNJ to NNJ on turnpike) and 70% local. Do you drive at 60-65? I always drive 70-75 and 55-60 local
After 26k miles I'm getting 3.2. Probably about 60% highway where I drive at the speed traffic allows, sometimes with a heavy foot. Locally, speed is about 60-65. Almost always use heat or a/c & all the other creature comforts - radio, seat ventilation, etc. Mostly travel in weather between high 30s to low 80s. I wish I had more range in my Touring, but I'm enjoying the ride.

It sounds like you are measuring your efficiency by comparing the miles remaining at the start at the start of a trip with the mileage at the end. That is not a good way to measure as the Lucid uses EPA measure for that, not the actual driving experience of the owner nor the current conditions (you will see lots of posts complaining about that). I suggest charging to a standard level (80% unless you need more) SOC and then compare the SOC at the end. See what your efficiency is (as Lucken and others have been measuring it). Also, your post was pretty complete with two exceptions: were there any significant uphill elevation changes and what was the weather (extreme cold can really impact range on ALL EVs).

Unless you drove that way in order to measure the efficiency, that is a pretty sad way to drive a Lucid. 😢

Speed and ambient temperature, I've observed, make a large difference. Last week on a ~200 mile roundtrip I averaged 2.9 mi/kWh - but it was cooler and I was driving with a heavy foot. This week on ~100 mile roundtrip, 4.4 mi/kWh - but it was warmer, and I had a light touch. I'm not accounting for phantom drain while parked, but it still illustrates the point.

After around 2,500 miles, and about a 50/50 city/highway split, I'm averaging 3.7 miles/kWh on my Pure AWD on 19" tires. Fairly conservative driving, and temperate AZ weather.

I think a huge source of range confusion/anxiety is Lucid's continued use of the EPA based (around) 4.5 miles/kWh on the main range displays. Numbers are my life, so I can pretty easily do the math between the EPA & ACTUAL in my head, but I wonder how many people get a very stressful surprise when doing a 'can I make it there' decision on the fly. As simple a change as using a more 'real time' miles/kWh calculation would really help, IMO.

So, if I'm understanding you, you are getting around 2.8 miles/kWh, which is quite low for the way you characterize your driving. I suggest you try resetting your trip computer for your next few trips, and take a photo of a few results. If you're running that low, I would talk to customer service. Talk about your miles/kWh, as I think the '160%' you mentioned will not make any sense to them. (I'm assuming you are not driving in a super cold area, and that you are not 'launching' the car to 60 MPH every time you stop. :) )
It was a nice sunny 60 degree day. No launching at stops. My tesla used about 20% more than trip. Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input...I believe I have an issue. The navigations says Ill make it home with say 50 miles remaining but I have to stop as it drains well before arrival.

Thanks for the input...I believe I have an issue. The navigations says Ill make it home with say 50 miles remaining but I have to stop as it drains well before arrival.
We may be talking apples and oranges to some degree here. The range depicted on the left main display and the charging tab of pilot panel is calculated by taking the remaining kWh and multiplying by the (way optimistic) EPA estimate of around 4.5 miles per kWh. Lucid's navigation app supposedly calculates the remaining range at your destination using real time data. It's hard to understand the magnitude of your problem without knowing how long a trip you had entered into the navigation app, but it does sound like you have a problem. As I mentioned before, only getting 2.8 miles/kWh for driving the way you characterize your habits (assuming temperate conditions) is awfully low.

60 MPH will pretty much get you EPA numbers. Tell us more about your case. Are you using numbers since last charge or one of the trip counters? How many stops did you make and how long did the car sit since it was last charged? The since last charge numbers include all energy used even when not driving. The trip counters only calculate energy used while driving.
Using actual miles used from battery compared to odometer miles driven. Not using trip. Car was charged approximately 1 hour before trip. No stops other than a few red lights along the route

where do you find lifetime average please?

Back