EVs and road rage

CraZ8

Verified Owner
Cars
2018 velar 2002 bmw z8
I had an interesting encounter yesterday. While driving to my gym ( alone in the car so no wifey) I noticed a New Mercedes coupe coming up aggressively through some traffic behind me. Does he want to see what I am or does he want to play ? The road opens up at the one light in the middle of this parkway with this fellow behind me and he starts to go by( 4 lane highway for about 2 miles only ) ok no cars ahead and he wants to play. I bury him not once but twice. We get to where the road narrows back down to two lanes with a double yellow line and I slow to just over 50 ( speed limit 45 here)because I know there is often a speed trap near the end of the parkway. No trap today but when we get to the light I have two cars in front of me. My ICE buddy pulls along side blocking oncoming traffic partially and inches from me as well the car ahead. A beefy guy starts to get out. He is obviously butt hurt being shut down. The light changes before he can fully get out of the car and he stays behind till the road opens up to 4 lanes in a built up section. He roars by and I let him go. You just never know who you meet on the highway. Most times it’s people who want to measure their performance against mine for a short burst and I get a thumbs up.a small percentage is the absolute psychos who can’t stand either losing or EVs in general. Yes I could have avoided all this unpleasantness by just letting him roar by initially but where is the fun in that? Unfortunately some people view every interaction as a contest they must win and a loss trips some deep seated pool of anger and resentment that may have very little to do with you but is directed at you anyway. So be careful out there and let my experience be a warning to you all. I’m sure some of you have similar experiences

Maybe, he wanted to shake your hand and congratulate you on making such wonderful purchase.

When all the cars are talking to each other this shit will stop, I hope.
I love the new space-keeping cruse controls. What a shame I still have to suffer the random stress of the "i'm ahead of you" drivers who see any gap, no matter how small, just in front of them an an opportunity to change lanes. This hurts EVERYONE.

Wife and I shared strategies on which lane to cruse in:
My position: far left, keep your safe distance, floor it whenever it opens up and be the fastest car in the left lane, "safely". This means nobody attacks from the left, anyone behind you is no worries, and the "I've never merged on an 80+ mph highway before" people are two or more lanes away. I would prefer to be in the "slow lane", set the cruse and listen to my podcasts but ... does anyone know how to merge? ANYONE? And the center lane, you are vulnerable from every direction. T
The wife is going the speed limit in the passing lane and staying there.
Yes, I have told her that is she did this in Germany she'd be taken out and shot.
She's stubborn, she does not understand the harm. I point out when people behind her have to jerk around and cut in front of her, telling her she's a bad driver and she's pissing off everyone, but she just does not get it, self-righteously claiming she's allowed, as I point out the "keep right / pass left" signs that nobody understands. It's very stressful for me when she drives. She says the same about me.

I expect AI will be taking over our cars soon and we can enjoy "making trains" at the entrances to all our feeways. Not only safer, everyone gets there WAY FASTER.

Yep. EV's will be the cure for road rage, i hope.

Well, she would get a ticket here in NC. There are several states with signs on the side of the road that specifically state "Slower Traffic Keep Right". It has nothing to do with the speed limit,.

I love the new space-keeping cruse controls. What a shame I still have to suffer the random stress of the "i'm ahead of you" drivers who see any gap, no matter how small, just in front of them an an opportunity to change lanes. This hurts EVERYONE.

My position: far left, keep your safe distance, floor it whenever it opens up and be the fastest car in the left lane, "safely". This means nobody attacks from the left, anyone behind you is no worries, and the "I've never merged on an 80+ mph highway before" people are two or more lanes away. I would prefer to be in the "slow lane", set the cruse and listen to my podcasts but ... does anyone know how to merge? ANYONE? And the center lane, you are vulnerable from every direction. T
Yes, I have told her that is she did this in Germany she'd be taken out and shot.
She's stubborn, she does not understand the harm. I point out when people behind her have to jerk around and cut in front of her, telling her she's a bad driver and she's pissing off everyone, but she just does not get it, self-righteously claiming she's allowed, as I point out the "keep right / pass left" signs that nobody understands. It's very stressful for me when she drives. She says the same about me.

I expect AI will be taking over our cars soon and we can enjoy "making trains" at the entrances to all our feeways. Not only safer, everyone gets there WAY FASTER.

If only the Eagles had sung about “Life in the Passing Lane”.

I find people growing up with the term “Fast Lane” tend to think the speed limit is as fast as anyone is allowed to go, so they are fine driving the speed limit there. You can tell your wife this does indeed drive everyone behind her insane, and it is far less safe than driving 5-10 over the speed limit, as it drives up frustrations and causes passing on the right, which is one of the most dangerous things you can do on a highway.

As I mentioned in my post about using my spouse as my "sentry mode".... dangerous territory unless you have medical plan and close by medical facilities. After 49 years of marriage, when riding with my spouse...never any advice about the driving on both sides. (She actually is probably a better driver than I)

(She actually is probably a better driver than I)
I am sorry to say that this flagrant violation of MAN RULES require that we rescind your MAN CARD. Men are NEVER worse drivers than women. And admission is a clear violation. Sorry.
Management

I am sorry to say that this flagrant violation of MAN RULES require that we rescind your MAN CARD. Men are NEVER worse drivers than women. And admission is a clear violation. Sorry.
Management
Tell that to Danica Patrick, see what she says. Haha

Yeah..... we'll probably all be dead before that happen. Audi has been touting that for years and I think Toyota has as well. It was the next best thing and an argument to how 5G was going to change the world. Car companies can't even agree on standardizing a charging port location to make it easier for charging companies to deploy chargers. Plug and Charge has 30 different protocols that can be used. If they can't get something as simple as a charging port location and use the same protocol for plug and charge do you really think they're going to agree on a standard or car to car communication? I doubt it!

Yeah..... we'll probably all be dead before that happen. Audi has been touting that for years and I think Toyota has as well. It was the next best thing and an argument to how 5G was going to change the world. Car companies can't even agree on standardizing a charging port location to make it easier for charging companies to deploy chargers. Plug and Charge has 30 different protocols that can be used. If they can't get something as simple as a charging port location and use the same protocol for plug and charge do you really think they're going to agree on a standard or car to car communication? I doubt it!
Hey some countries can’t even get the steering wheel on the proper side!

Well, she would get a ticket here in NC. There are several states with signs on the side of the road that specifically state "Slower Traffic Keep Right". It has nothing to do with the speed limit,.
In CA, I've seen where the highway patrol will turn it's flashers on, move the car out of the fast lane then turn it's lights off and move on. And someone I know was going the speed limit, got pulled over and given a warning about letting cars pile up behind them and being passed by cars on the right, that it's not their job to enforce the speed limit and to move out of the fast lane. I don't think they'll ticket you if you are going the maximum posted speed limit but some angry drivers may cause you some grief. If there are 3 or more lanes, I only use the fast lane to pass because there are lots of people going faster than I am. Usually drive 5 mph over but plenty of people are going way faster.

In CA, I've seen where the highway patrol will turn it's flashers on, move the car out of the fast lane then turn it's lights off and move on. And someone I know was going the speed limit, got pulled over and given a warning about letting cars pile up behind them and being passed by cars on the right, that it's not their job to enforce the speed limit and to move out of the fast lane. I don't think they'll ticket you if you are going the maximum posted speed limit but some angry drivers may cause you some grief. If there are 3 or more lanes, I only use the fast lane to pass because there are lots of people going faster than I am. Usually drive 5 mph over but plenty of people are going way faster.

Thread somewhat going off-topic, but..

I just relocated from Chicago, and lived in Florida before that. People typically used the left lane for passing but Seattle is unbearable. Folks here regularly go MUCH SLOWER/below the speed limit in the left lane here because they're designated as HOV.

It drives me insane and generates so much road rage IMO.. folks regularly pass on the right (myself included) and cut eachother off. Hard to blame people when it causes a huge back-up. It's as if people think they need to use HOV if they have 2+ passengers rather than seeing it as a perk to pass slow traffic.

Some lanes have tolls too that are HOV only. Why would you pay money to go slower?! Good lord Im working myself up 😄

Thread somewhat going off-topic, but..

I just relocated from Chicago, and lived in Florida before that. People typically used the left lane for passing but Seattle is unbearable. Folks here regularly go MUCH SLOWER/below the speed limit in the left lane here because they're designated as HOV.

It drives me insane and generates so much road rage IMO.. folks regularly pass on the right (myself included) and cut eachother off. Hard to blame people when it causes a huge back-up. It's as if people think they need to use HOV if they have 2+ passengers rather than seeing it as a perk to pass slow traffic.

Some lanes have tolls too that are HOV only. Why would you pay money to go slower?! Good lord Im working myself up 😄
Fortunately, Colorado drivers seem to have been brought up with proper passing lane etiquette. I rarely get stuck behind a slower driver in the left lane. And our toll / HOV lanes are completely separated from the main traffic lanes. At least in the Denver metro area.

Maybe, he wanted to shake your hand and congratulate you on making such wonderful purchase.
You are lucky that he was leaving his car to come to you. Here in Arizona much of the road range is firearms related and he wouldn't have to leave his car to do that! Stay safe out there!

Back