Escalade IQ set for 2025 promises 450 mi/range

Volund

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring

Interesting video, this car is absolutely huge, I don't think the gravity will have a footprint this large, but at the price point, Lucid has more competitors in the area.. And with it being GM, they're on NACS

@hmp10
I'm interested to know your thoughts

Interesting video, this car is absolutely huge, I don't think the gravity will have a footprint this large, but at the price point, Lucid has more competitors in the area.. And with it being GM, they're on NACS

@hmp10
I'm interested to know your thoughts
I think the range will be based on having an enormous battery as opposed to good efficiency. Will take forever to charge!

The hood on that thing is larger than some cars. If they can't figure out how to leverage the space possibilities of an electric drivetrain -- or don't care -- why even both to create a new platform? Just throw a huge battery and a couple of electric motors onto an ICE chassis.

It seems GM is just sticking an electric motor into anything because it's now the cool thing to do. It's a throwback to the 70's and 80's when GM took a shortcut to "luxury" by gluing vinyl to rooftops and tacking chrome strips onto mediocre cars, or when Pontiac created "sport sedans" by clipping plastic cladding to doors and fenders.

The hood on that thing is larger than some cars. If they can't figure out how to leverage the space possibilities of an electric drivetrain -- or don't care -- why even both to create a new platform? Just throw a huge battery and a couple of electric motors onto an ICE chassis.

It seems GM is just sticking an electric motor into anything because it's now the cool thing to do. It's a throwback to the 70's and 80's when GM took a shortcut to "luxury" by gluing vinyl to rooftops and tacking chrome strips onto mediocre cars, or when Pontiac created "sport sedans" by clipping plastic cladding to doors and fenders.

It has a 12 cubic foot frunk AND 450 miles of range.

Don't see evidence you can do that with ICE chassis.

I think the range will be based on having an enormous battery as opposed to good efficiency. Will take forever to charge!

Obviously it will have a huge battery. 212 kWh with 200 kWh useable.

On 350 kW charger it will take a few more minutes. DC fast charging from 0-100% is for dummies. You charge enough to get home or the next charger. On a Signet DC Fast charger derated to 50 kW both Gravity and Escalade will take forever to charge. Cost of electricity per mile? This isn't for burger flippers.

Also if I remember correctly, the HUMMER EV is one the fastest charging curves and has 800v architecture (and 400v switch), granted an enormous battery, but it doesn't discredit them completely

It has a 12 cubic foot frunk AND 450 miles of range.

Good luck getting anywhere close to that range at highway speeds with the frontal area of that thing.

Don't see evidence you can do that with ICE chassis.

Lift out the V8, the transmission, and all the ancillary equipment and . . . easy, peasy.

Very inefficient, and will be bigger than the Gravity, poorer handling, poor packaging. 200KWH for 450 mile range....Gravity will do that with a 120-130KW battery. Gravity will also start lower, maybe 95k for the Gravity pure model.

Very inefficient, and will be bigger than the Gravity, poorer handling, poor packaging. 200KWH for 450 mile range....Gravity will do that with a 120-130KW battery. Gravity will also start lower, maybe 95k for the Gravity pure model.

There was speculation that the longer wheelbase of the Gravity would mean more batteries. However, Derek Jenkins recently said that the Gravity will have the same battery capacity as the Air (without saying if that meant the 118-kW pack of the Dream, GT-P, and Sapphire models or the 112-kW pack).

Some of us like driving a full-size SUV. Nice to have that option in an EV.

Some of us like driving a full-size SUV. Nice to have that option in an EV.

If the Gravity were to have as much passenger and cargo space and equal crash ratings, what would be the purpose of driving a larger vehicle?

If the Gravity were to have as much passenger and cargo space and equal crash ratings, what would be the purpose of driving a larger vehicle?
The Gravity and other cross-overs sit too low for me. I don't really care about the space. I like the ease of entry and exit plus sitting up straight. Even the Rivian is a little low for me but easy to get in and out of.

The Gravity and other cross-overs sit too low for me. I don't really care about the space. I like the ease of entry and exit plus sitting up straight. Even the Rivian is a little low for me but easy to get in and out of.

It's too early to tell about how upright the seating position in the Gravity will be. The seating position in our Honda Odyssey is quite upright although the vehicle has a lower ride height than most large SUV's.

My guess is the Gravity's air suspension will have park height adjustment which might address the entry/exit height issue to some extent.

The Gravity might not work given your concerns, but it might also be too early to write the it off on these counts.

My guess is the Gravity's air suspension will have park height adjustment which might address the entry/exit height issue to some extent.
In an interview one of Lucids people (don’t recall if it was Peter or someone else) said that the Gravity lowered at highway speed for better drag and efficiency so it definitely has the potential for height adjustment. I feel like all the cammo photos have the vehicle in the lowest position.

Good luck getting anywhere close to that range at highway speeds with the frontal area of that thing.

Lift out the V8, the transmission, and all the ancillary equipment and . . . easy, peasy.

You don't need luck. You need a big pack. GM has been conservative with their range ratings on Ultium.

F150 Lightning big pack is 131 kWh. Not easy peasy.

Is it me, or are massive EVs with massive lithium batteries antithetical to the “Let’s maybe not kill the planet in our grandkids’ lifetimes” effort?

Is it me, or are massive EVs with massive lithium batteries antithetical to the “Let’s maybe not kill the planet in our grandkids’ lifetimes” effort?

Then you should be driving a subcompact with a 25 kWh -45 kWh pack. Not a Lucid Air, Rivian SUV, or Tesla.

Climate change is a scientific problem that requires a scientific solution. We need to transition the global economy to carbon free renewable energy.

Climate change is not a religious problem than requires us to suffer for our environmental sins in hopes that Mother Gaia forgives us.

Back