EA's new strategy of under promising

ViperSSD

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT ZR Tahoe
DE Number
Pulled up to a charger, ended up having to wait in line. A spot opens up and I see the it's dreaded 150KW ....or is.
Was confused and surprised when I removed to 250 immediately......I'll take it

Attachments

• IMG_20240302_165431.jpg
    IMG_20240302_165431.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20240302_165438.jpg
    IMG_20240302_165438.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 114
Is this charger also labeled as 150 kW on the EA app? There are some chargers out there that have the wrong labelling.

Wait… we can get over 150???? 😳😔 I wanna find!

Our new GT-P either somehow magically resolves our long standing issues of capped charging, or EA is improving. Aside from connection issues, our first two stops in the new car have absolutely ripped.

Does make me wonder if our suspicion of a better experience in the higher trims is a real thing? 175kwh is the max from a 150, but I have seen it peak to 200+ for a short while.

Our new GT-P either somehow magically resolves our long standing issues of capped charging, or EA is improving. Aside from connection issues, our first two stops in the new car have absolutely ripped.

Does make me wonder if our suspicion of a better experience in the higher trims is a real thing? 175kwh is the max from a 150, but I have seen it peak to 200+ for a short while.
I think there's no question that the Samsung cells and higher capacity packs used in the Dream, GT-P, and Sapphire have better charging peformance. The increased voltage and capacity increase charging capabilities at low SoC compared to the other trims, and my impression is that the charging curve is stronger overall as well.

Time taken to charge up to 80% is probably pretty comparable between all the trims, but the higher ones can certainly onboard more energy faster, which can give a slight edge on a long road trip when you're hopping charger to charger. The higher voltage can let you squeeze out even more energy from the 150 kW units, too.

While EA can still be very hit-and-miss, I think reliability and performance are improving, at least in some areas. Other CPOs are certainly not without the same or similar issues.

I hope you're very much enjoying your trip with the GT-P!

I've routinely seen 170 to 180kW on 150kW EA chargers AND seen a peak (so far) of 212kW on a 350kW charger. My car is the bottom of the line Air Pure btw. lol

I've routinely seen 170 to 180kW on 150kW EA chargers AND seen a peak (so far) of 212kW on a 350kW charger. My car is the bottom of the line Air Pure btw. lol
At what SOC are you seeing these charge rates?

At what SOC are you seeing these charge rates?
I didn't watch that closely TBH BUT if I remember right, I was at 19% SOC for the 212kW peak (only lasted maybe 3 or 4 minutes as I recall) but the 170 to 180 is typically anywhere from 25 to 35% SOC start. I try to never go below 20% and max of 85%.

I didn't watch that closely TBH BUT if I remember right, I was at 19% SOC for the 212kW peak (only lasted maybe 3 or 4 minutes as I recall) but the 170 to 180 is typically anywhere from 25 to 35% SOC start. I try to never go below 20% and max of 85%.

Can you please let us know your SOC and the how much you are pulling?
I have a Touring and I was down to 7% other day and was pulling only 123 KW. It took 45 minutes (little longer than I expected) to charge until 80% while waiting to pick my kids up. All the chargers were occupied in Walmart in East Brunswick, NJ.

At the local EA that I use, there seems to be little difference in charging time for 150kW and 350kW stations... I seem to recall an article confirming this. Maybe 5-10 minutes faster for a 20 to 80% fill?

Can you please let us know your SOC and the how much you are pulling?
I have a Touring and I was down to 7% other day and was pulling only 123 KW. It took 45 minutes (little longer than I expected) to charge until 80% while waiting to pick my kids up. All the chargers were occupied in Walmart in East Brunswick, NJ.
I can tell you right now I haven't been anywhere near east coast yet (not even in Indiana yet actually. I would have to try to go through my photos I took when charging but I do happen to have this from last week as an example (no it wasn't 212 this time but 196 at 26% SOC is certainly good too!) This was Rockford, IL EA on a 350kW charger with all 4 chargers in use btw!

Attachments

• 26percent.jpg
    26percent.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 47
  • chargersrockford.jpg
    chargersrockford.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 45
  • alloccupied.jpg
    alloccupied.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 50
hey guys. anyone else having problems signing into the 'Unofficial API'? I've been trying and know 100% its the correct email and password to sign in here and keep getting this error message:

"
  • Key: 'LoginRequest.Username' Error:Field validation for 'Username' failed on the 'required' tag Key: 'LoginRequest.Password' Error:Field validation for 'Password' failed on the 'required' tag"

hey guys. anyone else having problems signing into the 'Unofficial API'? I've been trying and know 100% its the correct email and password to sign in here and keep getting this error message:

"
  • Key: 'LoginRequest.Username' Error:Field validation for 'Username' failed on the 'required' tag Key: 'LoginRequest.Password' Error:Field validation for 'Password' failed on the 'required' tag"
Taking a look. I just added support for other regions to login, may have broken something else in the process.

I plugged in at 4% SOC, I also got a popup notification about how to increase my charging speeds, it may not have preconditioned even though I added the charger as a waypoint in the built in nav....otherwise I'm not sure if the popup comes up for everyone or if it's targeted.

Just charged at the Target in Falls Church, VA. Only a 350 was open and I took it. 20% SOC to 85% took 30 min. Began at 212. Charging curve seemed to be better as it did not decline as quickly. More robustness! Air Touring

I plugged in at 4% SOC, I also got a popup notification about how to increase my charging speeds, it may not have preconditioned even though I added the charger as a waypoint in the built in nav....otherwise I'm not sure if the popup comes up for everyone or if it's targeted.
I'm pretty sure this message pops up either when the charging speeds are limited by the charger or the car. I wish it would tell you which is the limiting factor. It used to say something like "Charging speed limited by station." If you're not getting limited by either the message does not pop up. In your case I'd guess it popped up due to the charger being a 150 kW unit.

I'm pretty sure this message pops up either when the charging speeds are limited by the charger or the car. I wish it would tell you which is the limiting factor. It used to say something like "Charging speed limited by station." If you're not getting limited by either the message does not pop up. In your case I'd guess it popped up due to the charger being a 150 kW unit.
I remember seeing the 'charging speed limited by station message'
I don't charge often away from home so this was my first time seeing this new message and I agree, it would be better to get a more specific minder than some generic thing listing everything.

In a similar vein, does anyone know if automatic pre-conditioning happens when a charger is selected as a waypoint?

I don't charge often away from home so this was my first time seeing this new message and I agree, it would be better to get a more specific minder than some generic thing listing everything.

In a similar vein, does anyone know if automatic pre-conditioning happens when a charger is selected as a waypoint?
It should.

As long as you have the option enabled in the Advanced Settings submenu in the Charging menu, then yes.

Back