DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
It's not pretty:
Tesla vs EA.png

I’m sure the EA numbers would look worse if you subtracted the number of non functional and reduced performance units. In 5 years of my Model S, I’ve only encountered 2 or 3 chargers that weren’t working but quickly switched to another charger. I have free supercharging, so I use SCs pretty frequently.

I’m sure the EA numbers would look worse if you subtracted the number of non functional and reduced performance units. In 5 years of my Model S, I’ve only encountered 2 or 3 chargers that weren’t working but quickly switched to another charger. I have free supercharging, so I use SCs pretty frequently.

Ours came with free unlimited supercharging too. Or, FUSC, in the parlance of the old Tesla Forum. I don’t supercharge very much anymore, but it sure is a nice perk to have. We will keep at least one of our Teslas until the wheels fall off, just for the “lifetime” FUSC.

BB15099B-A44C-41EE-91C1-803FC923BFA4.jpeg

Shame on EA, even Rivian is trying to have more total stalls than EA in 2 years time.

I agree that this is pretty pathetic on EA's part.

I think it would be fair play that Tesla and Rivian owners be locked-out of using chargers not of their brand.

It's such a crappy trend ... one hoped that EV manufacturers were trying to promote the change-over to electric car infrastructure...

Rivian and Tesla are short-sighted. They are not with us...they are the problem. I'd like to hear their rationalization, and how they justify to themselves that this is good for humanity...and before anyone says "capitalism" ... I say: we are already looking at catastrophic consequences of "we'll fix that later" capitalism. We have to promote the entire industry ... Tesla and Rivian ... they don't seem to understand long-term consequences. Are they looking forward to the end of civilization ?

So let's start the rumor: Rivian can only charge on their propitiatory chargers. Let Rivian suck on "alternative facts".

I think it would be fair play that Tesla and Rivian owners be locked-out of using chargers not of their brand.

It's such a crappy trend ... one hoped that EV manufacturers were trying to promote the change-over to electric car infrastructure...

Rivian and Tesla are short-sighted. They are not with us...they are the problem. I'd like to hear their rationalization, and how they justify to themselves that this is good for humanity...and before anyone says "capitalism" ... I say: we are already looking at catastrophic consequences of "we'll fix that later" capitalism. We have to promote the entire industry ... Tesla and Rivian ... they don't seem to understand long-term consequences. Are they looking forward to the end of civilization ?

So let's start the rumor: Rivian can only charge on their propitiatory chargers. Let Rivian suck on "alternative facts".
I would prefer them both can charge their brand with discount and open up to public at premium price as solution. Rivian said their Adventure Network is only free until later this year then even their brand has to pay. Rivian seems to be focusing more on Nation Parks or scenery recreational routes. I cannot believe that map has Hawaiian islands with 6 stations when Tesla only has their first and only station on Oahu island last year since Hawaiian residents Tesla owners barked for 10 years to finally get it.

1. Nobody currently makes a Tesla Supercharger-to-CCS adapter.

2. It currently wouldn't work. Tesla Superchargers data communication protocol is the same protocol as CHAdeMO, not CCS. That's why Tesla offered a CHAdeMO adapter a long time ago - because the Tesla vehicles "speak CHAdeMO" already.

3. It currently wouldn't work because the only way to authorize a Tesla Supercharger in the US is by plugging in to a Tesla vehicle. They have added the "Charge your non-Tesla" to the app, but it isn't active yet. There are no available Superchargers with so called “Magic Dock”, there were only teaser news.

4. Tesla now offers a CCS adapter in the US - for newer Tesla vehicles that are "bilingual" in that the vehicle can "speak" both CCS and CHAdeMO data formats. Largely based on the fact that they *HAD* to make the vehicles "speak CCS" for Europe. This allows compatible Tesla vehicles to charge at CCS stations. Tesla has said that a retrofit will be available for older vehicles (presumably replacing part of the charging circuitry with the new "bilingual" one.)

5. Tesla is supposedly working on adding CCS connectors to their Superchargers - but none are there yet. Only Magic Dock teaser on its mobile app.

6. There *ARE* adapters to let a J1772-equipped non-Tesla vehicle use a Tesla-connector charging station - but only 240V AC Level-2 stations, like the Tesla Destination Charger, Tesla Wall Connector, or Tesla Mobile Cord. These adapters do not work on Superchargers. (Absolutely nothing happens - the Supercharger "errs out" and doesn't provide any power.)

7. In 2022, the White House stated Tesla was developing “new Supercharger equipment” that would enable other EVs to use the company’s charging infrastructure:

“Tesla is expanding production capacity of power electronics components that convert alternating current to direct current, charging cabinets, posts, and cables. Later this year, Tesla will begin production of new Supercharger equipment that will enable non-Tesla EV drivers in North America to use Tesla Superchargers.”

8. In mid-2022, details regarding the “V4 Supercharger” began to surface, hinting toward CCS compatibility and new, higher charging capabilities.

IMO, it’s not Tesla doesn’t want to share, it is just very costly to update all existing Tesla supercharging network infrastructure. But these V4 Super Chargers are rolling out with CCS capability. Tesla is not spending $ for nothing. Tesla will get Federal grant for this effort. It’s up to Tesla when to make it official.

New CEO at EA - an insider. The previous CEO was promoted.

This isn't surprising is it? A company with an eight year lead is able to build more infrastructure to support itself than another one who is just satisfying a penalty?

This isn't surprising is it? A company with an eight year lead is able to build more infrastructure to support itself than another one who is just satisfying a penalty?
Not surprising, just kinda pathetic.

This seems a little sensationalist. Rivian is acting to end civilization by building their own charging network? At least they are getting off their asses and actually doing something to make the charging experience better for their customers, unlike every single other auto manufacturer except Tesla. If a tiny company like Rivian can build out a network the size of EA’s that just proves that the reason others are not doing the same is not because they can’t, it’s simply that they cannot be bothered.

Would I prefer they opened to everyone? Sure. But at least every charger they build takes demand off EA’s (unreliable and pathetically slow-expanding) charge network, so indirectly improves experience for other CCS users.

DeaneG's post above shows a shocking and paltry 15% increase in EA stations last year. $2 billion (see below) over ten years? Is EA kidding? I cannot help but think that Lucid and the SA PIF could do much more. A few billion is trivial to the PIF and if Lucid wants to sell more vehicles it should lean on VW to get its EA outfit up to speed. Or maybe Lucid and the PIF should just buy EA and make it work for all EV owners. Also, where are Ford, GM and other EV makers in this charging nightmare?

This underwhelming message from the Elicrify America site this morning:

Over a 10-year period (made up of four 30-month “cycles”), Electrify America plans to invest $2 billion in Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) infrastructure, access, and education programs in the United States.

Highlights​

• Of this $2 billion, we’re investing $800 million in California, one of the largest ZEV markets in the world.
  • We plan to invest $1.2 billion in the remainder of the United States, providing support to current electric vehicle owners and those interested in learning more about the benefits of driving electric vehicles.

Cycle 3
(January 2022-July 2024)​

Planned investments​

The Cycle 3 National ZEV Investment Plan and the Cycle 3 California ZEV Investment Plan detail Electrify America’s investments between January 2022 and July 2024. The planned investments will expand Electrify America’s network of ultra-fast charging stations in new communities and along additional travel corridors, strengthen education and awareness activities, and initiate Electrify America’s second “Green City” project in the city of Long Beach and the Los Angeles neighborhood of Wilmington.

Plan highlights​

• New metro charging investments in the communities of Dallas, Detroit, Nashville, Orlando, Providence, Bakersfield, Stockton, and many other metropolitan areas across the nation
  • Expand the nation’s largest open DC fast charging network to highways in all lower-48 states, creating two new cross-country routes and serving 28 new regional highway corridors
  • $31-35 million of investment in transit, medium- and heavy-duty fleet charging in California

Cycle 3​

(January 2022-July 2024)​

Planned investments​

The Cycle 3 National ZEV Investment Plan and the Cycle 3 California ZEV Investment Plan detail Electrify America’s investments between January 2022 and July 2024. The planned investments will expand Electrify America’s network of ultra-fast charging stations in new communities and along additional travel corridors, strengthen education and awareness activities, and initiate Electrify America’s second “Green City” project in the city of Long Beach and the Los Angeles neighborhood of Wilmington.

Plan highlights​

• New metro charging investments in the communities of Dallas, Detroit, Nashville, Orlando, Providence, Bakersfield, Stockton, and many other metropolitan areas across the nation
  • Expand the nation’s largest open DC fast charging network to highways in all lower-48 states, creating two new cross-country routes and serving 28 new regional highway corridors
  • $31-35 million of investment in transit, medium- and heavy-duty fleet charging in California
Also they have cycle 3 as "Planned". Cycle 2 which ended in 2021 is shown as the current cycle on the website. We should be one year into Cycle 3 already. I-20 in Texas / Louisiana is one of the Cycle 3 projects and they have ONE station in Monroe as "Coming Soon" and have done ZERO expansion in Dallas. So clearly they have barely done any work on Cycle 3 and its almost half over. They haven't even bothered to update their website. I think the only hope is for Tesla to open their network because EA moves at a glacial pace.

Also they have cycle 3 as "Planned". Cycle 2 which ended in 2021 is shown as the current cycle on the website. We should be one year into Cycle 3 already. I-20 in Texas / Louisiana is one of the Cycle 3 projects and they have ONE station in Monroe as "Coming Soon" and have done ZERO expansion in Dallas. So clearly they have barely done any work on Cycle 3 and its almost half over. They haven't even bothered to update their website. I think the only hope is for Tesla to open their network because EA moves at a glacial pace.

EA’s actions have “we don’t really want to do this…” written all over it.

Back