EA - Charging power Limited

Marco

Verified Owner
Cars
GT, Pure, I7, 911, Y
DE Number
Referral Code
N1VM1DOS
Saturday , I was at EA - Palm Beach Gardens, FL - (8 X 150KWh) chargers - Everything looks new.
Just me and a Taycan charging. -
I was surprised when I got this message on the car's screen : "Charging power limited by station"
I 've never seen this before.
Do they control the maximum charging speed by software? In this case 100 KWh (each car).
Have you seen this before?

DISPLAY.JPG
IMG_2828.JPG

I am not sure how much control EA has in real time but they do throttle the charging speeds at times. Other factors such a load at the site, thermal limit on charger or cable can also limit charging speed.

I read somewhere that EA throttles speed so they don't have to replaced any components because they are backlogged on replacement parts.

Saturday , I was at EA - Palm Beach Gardens, FL - (8 X 150KWh) chargers - Everything looks new.
Just me and a Taycan charging. -
I was surprised when I got this message on the car's screen : "Charging power limited by station"
I 've never seen this before.
Do they control the maximum charging speed by software? In this case 100 KWh (each car).
Have you seen this before?

View attachment 19957View attachment 19958

Those are most def some older chargers. I'd check plugshare and for reviews of the output. I was having the same on newer chargers in SoCal the other night with 30-35 mins of preconditioning.

Moved to another station and immediately jumped up to 270kW for a hot sec before staying around 230 and ramping down from there.

this is not uncommon. in fact at times it appears that the whole system is throttled. in addition to the throttling issues units that are inoperable and crowds of people charging to 100% because it is "free" sometimes it is worth finding alternatives to EA. Here in FL there are many FPL chargers and others that seem to be more reliable.

this is not uncommon. in fact at times it appears that the whole system is throttled. in addition to the throttling issues units that are inoperable and crowds of people charging to 100% because it is "free" sometimes it is worth finding alternatives to EA. Here in FL there are many FPL chargers and others that seem to be more reliable.
Yup, it happens all the time with EA chargers.

In contrast, I have never experienced this kind of throttling with the Rivian 300W Adventure charger (charging a Rivian).

Some readers on this forum said adjacent EA chargers "share" the available power. Hence, even though both chargers are rated at 350kW, they cannot simultaneously supply the high power to both cars. Separately, there is a bank of 3 EA 350W chargers in Mill Valley. But I have never experienced power of greater than 200KW irrespective of my SoC/preconditioning, even if I were the only car at the 3 charger station.

Back