• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Do the aero wheel inserts scratch all of the wheels?

AIR.LUCID

Cars
‘04 Prius, ‘98 MB SLK230
I have read on this forum that the aero inserts scratch the 21” wheels. Is that also the case with the 19”?

Yes. 20” wheels scratched to hell by the inserts, particularly around the clips.

Not sure if it is an issue with the wheel paint or the insert clips, but it is really quite noticeable. I’ll just take the range hit just to avoid putting on the inserts.

I've solved this issue by never taking them off 🤣

Just touching them minimally.
But someone mentioned they still get scratched due to the vibration of driving it

I've solved this issue by never taking them off 🤣

Just touching them minimally.
But someone mentioned they still get scratched due to the vibration of driving it

I know it sounds like a tremendous waste of money not to mention irritatingly ostentatious - rather than dealing with the inserts I’m inclined to just buy a full set of 21” rims and tyres, have the service centre swap them out as my whim strikes me.

More likely, I’m just going to stick with the pan pie reject 19” rims and inserts. For me it’s “range uber alles”.

I wonder what the range reduction is of each of the wheels with the caps removed. Since being cover free will prevent scratches. But what's the range penalty... 5%?

Yes, they also scratch the black paint on the 19” wheels.
I decided to remove the (19") aero covers after 2 weeks of ownership . . . doing so as carefully as possible. My results were similar to others - sine scratches where the tabs pull across the black paint. Design flaw in that one side of each tab has a sharper corner than the other side of the tab. Tabs should have had a larger radius put in or each tab should have been smoothed/sanded to remove the sharp edges (not likely given there are a maybe 20 or more tabs per aero cover - I didn't count but 2X each spoke). I was hoping that I could reinsert the aero covers whenever planning a long road trip (range, uber alas as noted by "Bus Driver") but it seems that will be detrimental to the wheels over multiple insertions/removals, unless I modify the inserts.

Also of note - although the vehicle was decently washed/detailed prior to delivery there were 2 places that were overlooked and had a layer of beige Arizona dust . .. the wheels (behind aero covers) and the narrow rubber rain gutters where the glass roof meets the body. Call out to anyone awaiting delivery - ask them to deliver with aero inserts REMOVED. This will force the derailers to clean the wheels - and buff out the scratches if they are bad enough. And also allow you to sand/file down the hard edges on the aero covers if you desire to do so.

Final comment/question - is anyone aware of an aftermarket molded or 3D printed plastic center cap that could cover the hub/center and the 5 lug nut holes with a plastic cover ? If not could be a business opportunity for someone !

Final comment/question - is anyone aware of an aftermarket molded or 3D printed plastic center cap that could cover the hub/center and the 5 lug nut holes with a plastic cover ? If not could be a business opportunity for someone !
Lucid's parts department has silver and black hub covers, and black lug nut covers. I've had them on my car since new.

Attachments

• Lucid at Diablo.jpg
    Lucid at Diablo.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 141
My DA asked if I wanted the aero inserts installed when I scheduled pick up. I opted not to because of the comments in this forum on scratching the wheels. I've wondered though if some type of tape on the wheels would provide temporary protection so that I could use them if I were taking a long trip and wanted the range boost. Anyone tried this?

My DA asked if I wanted the aero inserts installed when I scheduled pick up. I opted not to because of the comments in this forum on scratching the wheels. I've wondered though if some type of tape on the wheels would provide temporary protection so that I could use them if I were taking a long trip and wanted the range boost. Anyone tried this?
I'd fully expect the grit to rub through the tape

Lucid's parts department has silver and black hub covers, and black lug nut covers. I've had them on my car since new.
Does anyone know the part# for the Black Center Hub covers? I remember reading other post somewhere someone posted the part# for the Silver Center Hub. I tried to order the black ones and was told they weren't available, so I ended up ordering the silver...but that was about 3 months ago. Maybe the black center hubs are now available?

Does anyone know the part# for the Black Center Hub covers? I remember reading other post somewhere someone posted the part# for the Silver Center Hub. I tried to order the black ones and was told they weren't available, so I ended up ordering the silver...but that was about 3 months ago. Maybe the black center hubs are now available?
I've had the black since October. I don't know part number though

Back