Deposit’s down. But I’m probably #14000 in line

Dortreo

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT
Hi everyone, deposit’s down on a Lucid Air GT for the New England area. Now just waiting.

I think Lucid is building all the reserved GTs (probably extra for new orders yet to come in) before they start building T and Pure models so you are more likely #3,000. They haven't broken down reservations by trim.

Someone on the other Lucid forum posted last night that two people (one on Yahoo and one on Twitter) posted that they have been contacted by Lucid fulfillment to say their cars would be delivered on October 14.

Has anyone here seen anything similar?

This post just showed up on another Lucid forum. It suggests some Dream Edition buyers may be backing out. Interesting.

"They are not as sold out as one believes. I put in a reservation for an AGT back in April and “for snorts and giggles” added my name to the Dream Edition wait list. I never figured that it would amount to much. However, I received a call yesterday asking if I wanted to upgrade to a Dream which would be delivered in a 2-4 month timeframe. We talked a bit about the differences and I told him there wasn’t really anything on the Dream edition that I really wanted, especially for another $30k so left my reservation the same. I did find out that even with my reservation as late as April, the timeline for delivery might not be that different from a Dream - which was surprising. It was my feeling from the call that I might receive it as early as Q1 when I was expecting late Q2 or Q3. I have been trying to figure out how many of each trim have been reserved. by April, I was at about number 8000. Since they are working down the trim line, the vast majority of those first 8000 must be either Pure or AT models."

I'm actually not surprised by this. It would be almost unheard of for no reservation holders to drop out on a car that has been so long delayed. For instance, I still have a reservation for a Launch Edition Rivian R1S that I'm probably not going to take. That was going to be the car with which I replaced our 2015 Tesla when the extended warranty ran out, but Rivian's repeated delays made the R1S over a half year late for that purpose. I haven't canceled the reservation yet on the Rivian just in case something goes off-track with the Lucid at the last minute, but I will very likely end up canceling the reservation.

It has nothing to do with doubts about the vehicle itself, but a lot can change about one's personal circumstances in the four and a half years since Lucid first starting taking reservations. I hate to sound ghoulish but, given the likely age demographic of Dream buyers, some might even have passed away. I reserved my Air on my 67th birthday, and I'm now 70 and still waiting . . . and some days wondering which timer is going to buzz first.

What's with the being super secretive? Give the car to some reviewers for a day!

I'm 56 which I think is their issue, that they aren't addressing. It's great the Dream before offering the two versions was quick but this vehicles demographic won't need that. I posted on this or another forum, the interior sound level benchmark should have been Rolls Royce. There was little forward thinking. The S-class saloon was then, EQS is now. This should have been anticipated.

I'm sure it's quiet enough for me but the EV space is getting crowded. It's impossible to please everyone. I just hope this is just a speed bump.

Last edited:
Woo hoo! Now I’m #13,999!

Seriously, this isn’t surprising. There’s a significant opportunity cost to tying up $170K in a car. I’m sure people come and go on the list continually.

This post just showed up on another Lucid forum. It suggests some Dream Edition buyers may be backing out. Interesting.

"They are not as sold out as one believes. I put in a reservation for an AGT back in April and “for snorts and giggles” added my name to the Dream Edition wait list. I never figured that it would amount to much. However, I received a call yesterday asking if I wanted to upgrade to a Dream which would be delivered in a 2-4 month timeframe. We talked a bit about the differences and I told him there wasn’t really anything on the Dream edition that I really wanted, especially for another $30k so left my reservation the same. I did find out that even with my reservation as late as April, the timeline for delivery might not be that different from a Dream - which was surprising. It was my feeling from the call that I might receive it as early as Q1 when I was expecting late Q2 or Q3. I have been trying to figure out how many of each trim have been reserved. by April, I was at about number 8000. Since they are working down the trim line, the vast majority of those first 8000 must be either Pure or AT models."
I'm a bit surprised that if he upgraded today it would still be a 2-4 month timeframe before delivery. For us lowly Pure reservers, I have no idea where we are in their timeframe. Speaking of the clock ticking, I'm in my 70s too. Since I reserved the BMW I4 too, what makes me think I'll get a call from BMW long before Lucid?

I think the 2-4 month timeframe is just a stock answer Lucid employees have been told to use for every query. It's what I was told told a month ago in the same conversation I was told I was very early in the production queue. This was on September 21, just a week before Lucid announced that deliveries would begin in late October.

When I called Lucid earlier this week to get their reaction to a Twitter post claiming the poster was getting his car delivered on October 14 (yesterday), I was again told "2-4 months".

I just posted on another thread on this forum about the stunt Rivian pulled. They promised R1T deliveries would begin in September. They met that promise by delivering a few trucks to employees, but nothing since to reservation holders from the general public. And now Amazon is demanding compliance with the contract deadlines for van deliveries, causing Rivian to divert more production to vans. Many early Rivian reservation holders are now not expecting to see their trucks until next spring.

I hope Lucid is not going to meet its "late October" delivery promise by delivering only cars built for directors, senior executives, and PIPE investors, while putting outside customer deliveries in the 2-4 month bucket.

I'm a bit surprised that if he upgraded today it would still be a 2-4 month timeframe before delivery. For us lowly Pure reservers, I have no idea where we are in their timeframe. Speaking of the clock ticking, I'm in my 70s too. Since I reserved the BMW I4 too, what makes me think I'll get a call from BMW long before Lucid?

I was the one who posted about the waitlist on the other forum. It is not surprising on the 2-4 month timeframe. That has been their standard answer for a while now. They are only making 520 of these for customers and if one moves off the wait list they are just replacing another person and placed at the end of that line. It sounds like they plan on having all of those 520 cars delivered no later than late February (Probably earlier as saying 4 months gives them wiggle room for delays). From what I have seen is that Lucid wants to underpromise and over deliver If possible. this would be quite different from Tesla which always gives a timeline that is never met. The delivery dates have already been pushed from their very early projections, but they have been firm in a 2H delivery since February.

What I was surprised at was being told that my AGT might not be that much different as to a delivery date. I reserved in early April which places me somewhere between 7-8K on the list (likely closer to 8K). I do not know how many AGTs are in the first 8K reservations, but to say that I was ‘pretty early’ on the list was encouraging. I figured that I was MUCH further down the list. I still expect a late Q2 to Q3 delivery, but if it is earlier, I just need to know so that the funding is there to pay for it. Would absolutely LOVE to have it by possibly March.

I was the one who posted about the waitlist on the other forum. It is not surprising on the 2-4 month timeframe. That has been their standard answer for a while now. They are only making 520 of these for customers and if one moves off the wait list they are just replacing another person and placed at the end of that line. It sounds like they plan on having all of those 520 cars delivered no later than late February (Probably earlier as saying 4 months gives them wiggle room for delays). From what I have seen is that Lucid wants to underpromise and over deliver If possible. this would be quite different from Tesla which always gives a timeline that is never met. The delivery dates have already been pushed from their very early projections, but they have been firm in a 2H delivery since February.

What I was surprised at was being told that my AGT might not be that much different as to a delivery date. I reserved in early April which places me somewhere between 7-8K on the list (likely closer to 8K). I do not know how many AGTs are in the first 8K reservations, but to say that I was ‘pretty early’ on the list was encouraging. I figured that I was MUCH further down the list. I still expect a late Q2 to Q3 delivery, but if it is earlier, I just need to know so that the funding is there to pay for it. Would absolutely LOVE to have it by possibly March.
Our plan is to take delivery in California. We have not purchased our plane tickets yet. Once I see cars being delivered then we'll purchase for June.

It is not surprising on the 2-4 month timeframe. That has been their standard answer for a while now.

It is true that 2-4 months seems to be their standard answer. I confirmed my Dream order within an hour of receiving the email on September 20 announcing that it was time to confirm. My sale rep called me later that day to congratulate me and tell me I was among the first to confirm. She told me I had been assigned a Delivery Advisor who would call me the next morning at 8:00 a.m. PDT. The Delivery Advisor told me that cars would be put on the production schedule in the order in which orders had been confirmed and that I was very near the front of the queue. (I am also an early reservation holder from 2018.) She also told me the production would not begin for 2-4 months, which meant late November at the earliest. I asked if VINs would be assigned at the start of a car's production but was told it would be near the end of production.

But then, a week later at the Production Preview Week event, Lucid announced that customer production had begun, and the first delivery to customers would be in late October.

Let's go over some numbers:

Lucid began what they called production for customer delivery on September 28, and reports are that 5-8 cars are coming off the assembly line per day. Assuming a singe-shift, 5-day work week, that's 24 production days until the last Friday of October. That means 120-192 "customer" cars built by the end of October.

If you subtract out the 77 cars which appear to be slated for directors, senior executives, and PIPE investors, that means 43-115 "customer" cars produced by the end of October. Even if you then also subtract out a test driver for each of the 18 Design Studios that have opened thus far, you are left with 25-97 cars.

On October 13 I called my Delivery Advisor to check out posts Yahoo Finance and Twitter that claimed the posters had been given delivery dates of October 14 and October 28. She said that was false information and that no customers had received a VIN or been given a delivery date.

So, where are these October-build cars going? Or did production of "customer delivery" cars stop after the cameras stopped rolling at the Preview Week event?

Rivian just pulled a stunt that has many of its customers highly irritated. After several delays, they promised that customer deliveries of its R1T pickup would finally begin in September. They turned over a few trucks to employees near the end of the month and announced they had thus fulfilled their promise to make customer deliveries in September. They then promptly announced that they were diverting some of their resources to meeting a contract deadline for Amazon delivery vans, and additional pickup deliveries would be stretching out further than anticipated. No non-employee customer has yet received a pickup. On the Rivian forum, many early reservation holders are now talking about not receiving their trucks until next spring. (I still have an early reservation for an R1S SUV Launch Edition which was supposed to hit the market in late 2020. I have not yet heard anything from my assigned "Rivian Guide", nor has Rivian even announced a delivery timeframe for the R1S, which they originally said would follow R1T deliveries by a couple of months.)

I'm wondering if Lucid is about to do the same and will meet its promise of October delivery by delivering cars to a few directors, senior executives, and PIPE investors and call that a fulfillment of their October delivery promise to "customers".

I hate to sound cynical, but after being told by Lucid on September 21 that production would not begin for 2-4 months and then being told by Lucid on September 28 that production had already started and customers would receive their first cars in late October . . . . .

It is true that 2-4 months seems to be their standard answer. I confirmed my Dream order within an hour of receiving the email on September 20 announcing that it was time to confirm. My sale rep called me later that day to congratulate me and tell me I was among the first to confirm. She told me I had been assigned a Delivery Advisor who would call me the next morning at 8:00 a.m. PDT. The Delivery Advisor told me that cars would be put on the production schedule in the order in which orders had been confirmed and that I was very near the front of the queue. (I am also an early reservation holder from 2018.) She also told me the production would not begin for 2-4 months, which meant late November at the earliest. I asked if VINs would be assigned at the start of a car's production but was told it would be near the end of production.

But then, a week later at the Production Preview Week event, Lucid announced that customer production had begun, and the first delivery to customers would be in late October.

Lucid began what they called production for customer delivery on September 28, and reports are that 5-8 cars are coming off the assembly line per day. Assuming a singe-shift, 5-day work week, that's 24 production days until the last Friday of October. That means 120-192 "customer" cars built by the end of October.

If you subtract out the 77 cars which appear to be slated for directors, senior executives, and PIPE investors, that means 43-115 "customer" cars produced by the end of October. Even if you then also subtract out a test driver for each of the 18 Design Studios that have opened thus far, you are left with 25-97 cars.

On October 13 I called my Delivery Advisor to check out posts Yahoo Finance and Twitter that claimed the posters had been given delivery dates of October 14 and October 28. She said that was false information and that no customers had received a VIN or been given a delivery date.

So, where are these October-build cars going? Or did production of "customer delivery" cars stop after the cameras stopped rolling at the Preview Week event?

Rivian just pulled a stunt that has many of its customers highly irritated. After several delays, they promised that customer deliveries of its R1T pickup would finally begin in September. They turned over a few trucks to employees near the end of the month and announced they had thus fulfilled their promise to make customer deliveries in September. They then promptly announced that they were diverting some of their resources to meeting a contract deadline for Amazon delivery vans, and additional pickup deliveries would be stretching out further than anticipated. No non-employee customer has yet received a pickup. On the Rivian forum, many early reservation holders are now talking about not receiving their trucks until next spring. (I still have an early reservation for an R1S SUV Launch Edition which was supposed to hit the market in late 2020. I have not yet heard anything from my assigned "Rivian Guide", nor has Rivian even announced a delivery timeframe for the R1S, which they originally said would follow R1T deliveries by a couple of months.)

I'm wondering if Lucid is about to do the same and will meet its promise of October delivery by delivering cars to a few directors, senior executives, and PIPE investors and call that a fulfillment of their October delivery promise to "customers".

I hate to sound cynical, but after being told by Lucid on September 21 that production would not begin for 2-4 months and then being told by Lucid on September 28 that production had already started and customers would receive their first cars in late October . . . . .
Rawlinson did say at the event that the first cars being made were for the marketing department. Who knows what that number is before customer cars are made.

When I spoke to a sales rep a couple weeks ago, he said the test drive vehicles wouldn't be made until after all the Dreams, so you don't need to worry about that.

Now, none of that means your concerns aren't valid, but we can certainly keep our fingers crossed for you Dreamers.

Rawlinson did say at the event that the first cars being made were for the marketing department . . .

When I spoke to a sales rep a couple weeks ago, he said the test drive vehicles wouldn't be made until after all the Dreams . . . .

My understanding from talking to personnel in two Design Studios was that the marketing cars are the test drive vehicles that will be sent to the Design Studios. But who knows?

My experience with other cars I have ordered is that, once the car is in production, the customer receives the VIN so that he can bind insurance and, if necessary, arrange financing for the car before delivery. According to Lucid -- and supported by the absence of any legitimate claims on various internet sites -- no one has yet received a VIN. This would suggest that no cars destined for customers have yet been built.

We're just two weeks from the end of October. Given that the cars, once built, still must be road-tested, prepped for shipment, turned over to transport for shipment, and then put through post-shipping inspection and prep, time seems to be getting very tight if there are going to be any October deliveries to customers.

When we ordered our Tesla Plaid in July the car was in transit for two weeks. We were told that cross-country rail delivery was going smoothly enough, but when the cars hit the trucking depots for transport to final delivery points, they were sitting for indeterminate periods of times while the depots looked for drivers to take them. And, if anything, the shortage of drivers has only gotten worse of late. (This is also the start of the season for car carriers to transport cars for snowbirds down to their winter homes, thus tying up a lot of the car trucking capacity. The fleets of car carriers off-loading cars at the entrances to gated communities are as much a part of the autumn landscape in Florida as leaf changes are up north.)

My guess is that, if any cars are actually delivered to customers in October, it won't be based on time of order confirmation as the Delivery Advisor said, but based on how close the customer is to the factory and whether the customer needs to arrange financing.

Rawlinson did say at the event that the first cars being made were for the marketing department. Who knows what that number is before customer cars are made.

When I spoke to a sales rep a couple weeks ago, he said the test drive vehicles wouldn't be made until after all the Dreams, so you don't need to worry about that.

Now, none of that means your concerns aren't valid, but we can certainly keep our fingers crossed for you Dreamers.
Yes, it would make sense to produce ALL of the Dreams 1st instead of retooling to make some AGT test drive cars. Once they finish the dreams, retool for the AGTs and crank out test drive vehicles, followed by customer AGTs.

this was posted on another forum:

“I'm a reservation holder since Dec 2019 and recently changed to GT from Touring (at least for now, until I learn more about the option pricing on the Touring). The sales rep said I am one of the earlier reservations and should hear from them in the "next few weeks to months" to confirm my order. That was 2 weeks ago, but gave me some hope they the GTs could start delivering in early 22.”

Yeah, that was me. ;)
this was posted on another forum:

“I'm a reservation holder since Dec 2019 and recently changed to GT from Touring (at least for now, until I learn more about the option pricing on the Touring). The sales rep said I am one of the earlier reservations and should hear from them in the "next few weeks to months" to confirm my order. That was 2 weeks ago, but gave me some hope they the GTs could start delivering in early 22.”

IOW you'll get the car when you get the car. ;)

The lack of information, conflicting rumors on the net, and endless conjecturing gets a bit tiring...at least for me.

Here is a rather crude linear production ramp model fitting to 4 cars per day to start in October, 20k cars in 2022 and 50k cars in 2023. The real production ramp will likely be step functions with increasing shifts and additional equipment. Without that information, I can only create a linear model.

1634417930082.png

Peter Rawlinson was fairly emphatic during the keynote at the Production Preview event that customer deliveries would begin in October. Lucid is having a earnings call on Oct 26 and I am guessing that we will see cars being shipped to customers or customers getting cars by the 26th. It may only be customers in Arizona or Southern California as others have speculated. I have only been waiting since April 2020 so I may be more optimistic than earlier reservation holders.

Back