Deposit’s down. But I’m probably #14000 in line

Yes, it would make sense to produce ALL of the Dreams 1st instead of retooling to make some AGT test drive cars. Once they finish the dreams, retool for the AGTs and crank out test drive vehicles, followed by customer AGTs.

this was posted on another forum:

“I'm a reservation holder since Dec 2019 and recently changed to GT from Touring (at least for now, until I learn more about the option pricing on the Touring). The sales rep said I am one of the earlier reservations and should hear from them in the "next few weeks to months" to confirm my order. That was 2 weeks ago, but gave me some hope they the GTs could start delivering in early 22.”
What I don't know is what I'd be hearing right now had I not planned this trip in June. Reserved May 2021 AGT.

IOW you'll get the car when you get the car.

When that became Rivian's attitude toward communication with customers I walked away and bought an EV that was actually on the market.

The lack of information, conflicting rumors on the net, and endless conjecturing gets a bit tiring . . .

As does being told one thing by a Delivery Advisor and hearing something else from Rawlinson a few days later and then a week later hearing the original timeline again from the delivery team. Lucid needs to get its communications act together.

People are wondering why the stock price is flagging when most investors expected a sustained pop after the announcement of start of production. Perhaps it's because no one can take seriously anything these startups say about production.

It's important to remember that many buyers are trying to coordinate their EV purchases with other situations. In my case, I reserved both a Rivian and a Lucid, thinking that, based on their claims at the time of production start, at least one of them would become available by the time the extended warranty on my Tesla ran out. Then I would trade the Tesla for whichever EV made it to market and drop the reservation for the EV that didn't make it to market on time.

It turned out both Rivian and Lucid kept moving their production dates out, and I wound up trading our 2015 Tesla for a Tesla Plaid that came out just in the nick of time. (We actually ordered the Model S Long Range initially, but Tesla moved that date out more than six months beyond our warranty expiration. When we found we could close the gap by getting a Plaid, we switched our order.)

A friend wanted to replace his ICE car coming off lease with an EV. He negotiated a lease extension when he got a tentative production date from Ford for a Mach-E. Then the Mach-E delivery got pushed out, so he gave up and rolled over into another ICE lease.

Some people can live with a "you'll get your car when you get it" communications strategy from a manufacturer. A lot of people can't.

It's important to remember that many buyers are trying to coordinate their EV purchases with other situations. In my case, I reserved both a Rivian and a Lucid, thinking that, based on their claims at the time of production start, at least one of them would become available by the time the extended warranty on my Tesla ran out. Then I would trade the Tesla for whichever EV made it to market and drop the reservation for the EV that didn't make it to market on time.

It turned out both Rivian and Lucid kept moving their production dates out, and I wound up trading our 2015 Tesla for a Tesla Plaid that came out just in the nick of time. (We actually ordered the Model S Long Range initially, but Tesla moved that date out more than six months beyond our warranty expiration. When we found we could close the gap by getting a Plaid, we switched our order.)

A friend wanted to replace his ICE car coming off lease with an EV. He negotiated a lease extension when he got a tentative production date from Ford for a Mach-E. Then the Mach-E delivery got pushed out, so he gave up and rolled over into another ICE lease.

Some people can live with a "you'll get your car when you get it" communications strategy from a manufacturer. A lot of people can't.
We have a lot of difficult to obtain reservations made for this California to Indianapolis trip. I don't want to cancel it, but being forced to rent a car to drive back would seriously make me consider another vehicle. Lucid and Rivian are being super secretive about something that shouldn't be. If a Rolls Royce was a daily driver for me I'd get on their wait list.

I keep considering the GT for $139,000. If I recall, this trim was supposed to offer a full range of self-driving hardware, including lidar.

At $139,000, it seems more prudent to buy an EQS 580 or a vehicle from an established company. Even if the Air is a great vehicle, what’s the market for premium sedans?
I guess that I want to be convinced to put a deposit on an Air. :)

I'm trying to figure out Kyle Connor reviews. The Volvo C40 he starts out using a high quality audio recorder with Røde mic. Then gets in the car and uses mic on GoPro???

He was probably too lazy to synch the Rode audio recording with the GoPro video. I’m not sure if the GoPro has an external mic jack.

He was probably too lazy to synch the Rode audio recording with the GoPro video. I’m not sure if the GoPro has an external mic jack.
Some of us are trying to get a real sense of interior noise level. Using mic on a Go Pro mounted to the window transmits sound directly from the glass. I wonder if this can make one car sound more quiet than the next. Just by the nature of the glass. I've used Go Pro and I bought a Zoom H2n just for this reason, transmission from the mounted surface to the Go Pro mic.

The best way to accurately measure noise, or record what’s being heard by the driver, is to place the mic at ear level. You’d also want to use an omnidirectional mic rather than a directional unit if you really want to give the viewer a sense of the ambient noise in the cabin.

Some mics will record the narrator’s voice very well, but attenuate noise beyond the speaker. That too can be very misleading, leading one to think that the ambient noise is less than it actually is. I wonder if Kyle didn’t use that type of mic for his Mercedes review.

The best way to accurately measure noise, or record what’s being heard by the driver, is to place the mic at ear level. You’d also want to use an omnidirectional mic rather than a directional unit if you really want to give the viewer a sense of the ambient noise in the cabin.

Some mics will record the narrator’s voice very well, but attenuate noise beyond the speaker. That too can be very misleading, leading one to think that the ambient noise is less than it actually is. I wonder if Kyle didn’t use that type of mic for his Mercedes review.

Just the way the window is mounted in the door can play a role. Framed vs frameless doors.

Using mic on a Go Pro mounted to the window transmits sound directly from the glass. I wonder if this can make one car sound more quiet than the next.

This is exactly what happened in the first ride-along video posted by "Transport Evolved". The microphone they usually use was broken, so they did the ride-along using the mic on the GoPro camera attached to window glass. There was an eruption of concern about the car's noise level heard in the video to the point that "Transport Evolved" posted a second video explaining the problem and assuring watchers that the car was much quieter in reality.

I'm sure that's what Lucid knew to do during the development of the car. In a podcast shortly after his video, Conner said Lucid engineers showed him an array of graphs they had generated comparing the interior noise levels to a Mercedes S-Class and that the graphs, in fact, showed the Lucid to be quieter.

The noise Conner heard may be related to two things: the unusually rough road surface during that part of the drive and the Pirelli tires on the 21" wheels. "Car & Driver" also noted the tire noise and specifically attributed it to those two factors when they test drove the car on the same circuit.

If you are very sensitive to tire noise, using the 19" wheels which wear all-season instead of summer performance tires may make a significant difference.

Just the way the window is mounted in the door can play a role. Framed vs frameless doors.

Lucid uses framed doors (with almost obtrusively-large gaskets) which generally provide more sound insulation that frameless doors. Also, in some of the reading I've been doing on tire noise, it tends to transmit more through the structure of the car. Also, being primarily low frequency, it generates sound waves that are longer than the thickness of insulation that can be fitted around wheel wells and is thus particularly difficult to control. That is why so much tire noise is tackled through tread design and the newer tactic of using foam inserts in the air cavity of the tires (something which I think Pirelli is doing on the Lucid tires).

On the subject of vehicle noise and a comparison with Rolls Royce, here's the CEO of Rolls saying that their electric cars could be as loud as their V-12s and in some cases had to be made louder:

An electric Rolls-Royce could be louder inside than one of the current V12 cars, because there will be no engine noise to drown out road and wind roar. But CEO Torsten Müller-Ötvös believes “it’s probably not worth” trying to combat this. The Ghost, he said, is already so quiet on the move “that people felt a little disorientated and we needed to bring certain noise levels back in”. “I think we have super experience in understanding how to tackle that,” he added. From Autocar

That's an interesting take from Rolls Royce. Many years ago I worked at GE Aircraft Engines and was told that airplane cabins could easily be made quieter to block engine roar better, but doing so unmasked the constant squeaks and groans an airframe makes during takeoff and landing and with pressure changes in flight. Those types of noises so unsettle passengers that airframe designers intentionally allow more wind and engine roar into the cabin.

Back