Daily Charge

Baher

Reaction score
Cars
Lucid Air Pure
Hi guys, I just got a new Lucid Air. I spoke to a Lucid technician and he recommended that I charge the car nightly to the 80% threshold as a best practice; he mentioned that it would not have any harmful or residual impact on the battery pack. I wonder if anyone else heard that recommendation before and your thoughts on it. Thanks

Straight from the manual:

The most effective way to prolong the battery, (when not driving), is leaving it plugged into a charging source. Setting the charge level to Daily usage also helps preserve battery health.

CAUTION:
When the vehicle is not in use for long periods of time, it is necessary to plug it into a charging source and set the charge target to the minimum Daily value (typically 50% state of charge).

Hi guys, I just got a new Lucid Air. I spoke to a Lucid technician and he recommended that I charge the car nightly to the 80% threshold as a best practice; he mentioned that it would not have any harmful or residual impact on the battery pack. I wonder if anyone else heard that recommendation before and your thoughts on it. Thanks
There are lots of discussions here about battery health and charging practices. You can search for them at the top of the site.

Short answer: The tech gave you good advice.

My advice: Don't worry too much about your battery. People obsess about this stuff, and it's fairly pointless.

It's pretty hard to do damage to these batteries. Lucid has a vested interest in keeping that battery charging at high capacity, since they are on the hook for 8 years if it doesn't hold a charge. Which means they've optimized the software to make sure you can't do too much harm to it.

Basic rule of thumb: Only charge to 100% when you need it for an extended road trip. Don't worry if you do that fairly frequently. Don't let it drop below 20% if you can avoid it. Again, on road trips, that's sometimes necessary and not a big deal. How low you want to go before recharging is mostly about your tolerance for risk. Just don't leave the car sitting at 100% or single-digit percentage for long periods.

Level 2 charging at home is generally better for the battery than fast charging. Again, I wouldn't worry if you need to fast charge fairly often.

If you have a charger at home, plug it in when you get home every day, set it to daily, and never think about it. The car will go further than you want to drive it most days.

The manual also says:

"Battery pack life and performance are greatly improved by maintaining a healthy state of charge (generally between 40% and 80%)."

So, any number from 40 to 80 is covered by the manual.

The tech said 80: that's within the parameters.

The message above said 50: That's also within parameters.

it is good advice. I usually let the care get down to about 100 miles before charging it up.

Hi Baher,

Yes, this is common practice with any battery, especially in an electric vehicle since the batteries are so expensive. If you like to charge your battery regularly after each day, set the max at 80% and it won’t degrade the battery life at all. If you leave it at 100% and charge daily without draining the battery significantly each day, the battery life will be shortened. I suggest you only charge above 80% when you are taking a long trip or don’t plan to recharge until the battery is near empty, at least below 20%.

By the way, this is also common practice with your cell phone, tablets and any other device you have with a chargeable battery that you use often. I keep my iPhone at 90% max charge as a compromise because I charge it every evening and don’t always drain it below 20% at the end of the day. Hope this helps.

Vince

By the way, this is also common practice with your cell phone, tablets and any other device you have with a chargeable battery that you use often. I keep my iPhone at 90% max charge as a compromise because I charge it every evening and don’t always drain it below 20% at the end of the day. Hope this helps.
The iPhone even has settings for this in recent versions.
IMG_0332.webp

Last edited:
The iPhone will also recognize your daily charging habits and automatically stop charging as well if it thinks you don’t need the power. Or it will wait until shortly before you usually take it off the charger to charge up fully.

With the iPhone, even if you need to replace the battery more often because you want a full charge every day, it's less than $100 to replace the battery early - not a big deal. Think of how much more important it is not to charge fully the Lucid every day when you just use it for around town and don't drain much battery before you recharge. I'll bet it's more than $25K to replace this battery, so it is highly recommended that you follow proper charging procedures the Lucid or for that matter, with any electric car.

The manual also says:

"Battery pack life and performance are greatly improved by maintaining a healthy state of charge (generally between 40% and 80%)."

So, any number from 40 to 80 is covered by the manual.

The tech said 80: that's within the parameters.

The message above said 50: That's also within parameters.
80% is the "sweet spot" according to Lucid service to gain the best range with proper battery health and longevity. If you charge less, it's also good for the battery but leaves you with less range if you ever need it before charging.

There are lots of discussions here about battery health and charging practices. You can search for them at the top of the site.

Short answer: The tech gave you good advice.

My advice: Don't worry too much about your battery. People obsess about this stuff, and it's fairly pointless.

It's pretty hard to do damage to these batteries. Lucid has a vested interest in keeping that battery charging at high capacity, since they are on the hook for 8 years if it doesn't hold a charge. Which means they've optimized the software to make sure you can't do too much harm to it.

Basic rule of thumb: Only charge to 100% when you need it for an extended road trip. Don't worry if you do that fairly frequently. Don't let it drop below 20% if you can avoid it. Again, on road trips, that's sometimes necessary and not a big deal. How low you want to go before recharging is mostly about your tolerance for risk. Just don't leave the car sitting at 100% or single-digit percentage for long periods.

Level 2 charging at home is generally better for the battery than fast charging. Again, I wouldn't worry if you need to fast charge fairly often.

If you have a charger at home, plug it in when you get home every day, set it to daily, and never think about it. The car will go further than you want to drive it most days.
If you do use super-fast public charging, it's always best to precondition the battery before you do this. You can set this in the app.

Back