Current charging infrastructure in LA

MichaelW

Cars
LUCID Air Pure AWD
Just got my Air Pure AWD with 20’s a couple of weeks ago. Love the car, but for the love of god…someone needs to do something about the entire charging infrastructure. Most of the time, the EA chargers don’t work. Even if they do, they are only outputting 40-60kwh when it should be 150 as a min on many of them. Even going to EVgo and paying for it, the equipment doesn’t work well (or at all) and output is much lower than stated. The 7kwh at ChargePoint is not even worth a conversation.

Personally I made the switch thinking that a 20-25 min charge every week or so is no biggie, but it’s turning into hours just searching for a charger and hoping that not only is one available, but it’s also functioning.

Until a person can charge at home, it’s pretty annoying.

What do we know about upcoming charging infrastructure around LA?

The Valley was horrible up to a couple months ago with the same myriad of issues you described. But they upgraded a bunch of stations around me to new 350 kW chargers last month so it's better now. However, there are long lines of cars waiting at every station that add hours to the charging experience. So it doesn't even matter if the Air can get to 80% in 25-30 min as waiting in line to get to a charger is the time suck. Best advice is to do most your charging at home or work if you can and avoid the stations completely unless you really need it.

Last edited:
EA is improving for sure. But the EVs to charging networks ratio is out of balance. Charging at home if ideal. For road trip, we just wish there are more working chargers available.

EA is improving, but all those EVs sold with free charging is catching up to them - notice free charging is disappearing from car sales incentives.
Just hope they continue to build out more stations, otherwise we will be at the mercy of Tesla and their network.

PS. In my experience, most of the time EA chargers do work and there usually isn't a long wait. However, the speed is never as fast as you would hope. Agree with home charging as the solution 90% of the time.

Maybe my experience is unusual, but I live on the westside of LA (Santa Monica) where there are zero EA chargers. I had to drive to Culver City to charge the other day, and made it like a morning trip with my kids. The only other good option is Topanga Mall in Woodland Hills when I’m at work. 2/6 chargers are never online, and the others only charge at 50-60kwh. There’s also usually a line of 4-5 cars.

Ultimately, I think you guys are right that charging at home is the only thing that makes sense.

Please don't limit yourself just to EA. There is EVGo, Chargepoint, Flo, Shell Recharge, etc.

Please don't limit yourself just to EA. There is EVGo, Chargepoint, Flo, Shell Recharge, etc.
I’ve used EVgo once and the station was at 38kwh so just charged to 30% and got home. Shouldn’t have to be that way.

I’ve used EVgo once and the station was at 38kwh so just charged to 30% and got home. Shouldn’t have to be that way.
True, West LA seems way worse than East LA. Not sure why

True, West LA seems way worse than East LA. Not sure why
EVgo has better infrastructure than EA in Santa Monica. Our local chase branch just installed 5 new chargers a block away and just waiting for them to go online.

Back