Curb rashes galore

mecci

Reaction score
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Driver visibility (or lack thereof) in the Air is just ridiculous. Venting my frustration with the number of curb rashes on wheels and front bumper.
Extended dash and thick A-pillars make it really difficult to take tight turns. I have even resorted to sitting higher than I would like to.

Other manufacturers include a cutout to improve visibility, Lucid should think on the same lines

Attachments

• 20241015_092729.webp
    20241015_092729.webp
    364.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20241015_092719.webp
    20241015_092719.webp
    528.7 KB · Views: 50
I don't know. Between the 360 cam and the tilting passenger mirror, I've actually found it pretty easy NOT to curb the Air.

The A pillar is another story. I agree, visibility definitely suffers there. But that's common on newer cars and particularly EVs, since reducing drag is so vital to maximizing range.

Take your pick: Blind spots vs. increased range. It's a tradeoff. Can't have both.

I don't know. Between the 360 cam and the tilting passenger mirror, I've actually found it pretty easy NOT to curb the Air.

The A pillar is another story. I agree, visibility definitely suffers there. But that's common on newer cars and particularly EVs, since reducing drag is so vital to maximizing range.

Take your pick: Blind spots vs. increased range. It's a tradeoff. Can't have both.
I'll second that. The 360 cam and the tilting mirror have all buy eliminate curbing for me. That said, for new owners, the front bumper is lower to the ground than most vehicles and does take some getting used to.

The A pillar is thick, no question about that. While the pillar itself creates blind spots, in terms of changing lanes while driving, I find that the rear cameras that pop up when engaging turn signal all but eliminates them. Separately, the A pillar is needed to maintain the integrity of the car in the event of an accident/crash, given the amount of glass everywhere.

That thick A pillar is where the roof crush strength comes from. It's a tradeoff.
After having 360 cams on both our cars for two years, I won't buy another car without them. It's the only way I can maneuver the Air in a crowded parking lot and is still a great help with our other, fun-sized EV.

I find myself moving my head often left to right and vice versa during left hand side tight turn with narrow road. For example trying to make follow the left curve in a tight neighborhood road with cars parked on both sides. I often can't see if the oncoming traffic crossed into my lane. The thick A pillars are more for strength and stability of the chassis during roll over situation.

I can't find the A-pillar pic of another manufacturer, it has glass at the edge of the triangle greatly improving visibility without compromising A pillar strength. I think it just a matter of better design.
I'm sure there are other design and aerodynamic considerations, but based on Lucid"s other creative features, they could also have done a better job in this case.

Not tryna be Downer Dan, there are many hits and misses IMO. More hits ofcourse.

For me the misses are keyless entry (very inconsistent), navigation software (huge miss), lack of Heads up Display, Car Play screen size, missing Android Auto, dashcam recording (my car was hit while parked)

COME ON LUCID! Tesla's got nothing on you! Let's step up your game!

I can't find the A-pillar pic of another manufacturer, it has glass at the edge of the triangle greatly improving visibility without compromising A pillar strength. I think it just a matter of better design.
I'm sure there are other design and aerodynamic considerations, but based on Lucid"s other creative features, they could also have done a better job in this case.

Not tryna be Downer Dan, there are many hits and misses IMO. More hits ofcourse.

For me the misses are keyless entry (very inconsistent), navigation software (huge miss), lack of Heads up Display, Car Play screen size, missing Android Auto, dashcam recording (my car was hit while parked)

COME ON LUCID! Tesla's got nothing on you! Let's step up your game!
Dashcam has been high on the wish list since the beginning.
For those of us who don’t have a chauffeur, it’s a very desirable feature.
I used to think maybe Lucid didn’t care about this, but they’re going to implement this in Gravity. Must be some convoluted reasons why Air can’t.

Must be some convoluted reasons why Air can’t.
I haven’t seen anyone say the Air can’t.

I think it’s more likely they simply haven’t gotten to it yet, though I would have no doubt it’s likely easier in Gravity.

Driver visibility (or lack thereof) in the Air is just ridiculous. Venting my frustration with the number of curb rashes on wheels and front bumper.
Extended dash and thick A-pillars make it really difficult to take tight turns. I have even resorted to sitting higher than I would like to.

Other manufacturers include a cutout to improve visibility, Lucid should think on the same lines
Same car, 30k miles, no curb rash.

Back