Crazy battery drain for Lucid app on iOS

bakerjin

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
Air Touring
Referral Code
QMWNM3AS
I've been a proud owner of a 2024 Lucid Air Touring for a couple months now. It has its quirks but overall I'm extremely happy with the car, both in terms of driving and features. However, one thing that always bothers me is that the mobile app seems to drain a crazy amount of battery when I allow for Location Services enabled "always" instead of "while using". I searched these forums and seem to be in a small minority, many people say they are able to leave their Lucid app with location "always" and very little battery drain (2% of overall battery health).

I usually sleep with Youtube on due to some minor tinnitus and so I'm used to that app draining battery. What's crazy is that the Lucid app drains way more despite never being open! I am not particularly close to the car so it's not trying to communicate it and lock/unlock over and over. When I change the Location services back to "while using", the crazy battery drain disappears completely. I set it back to "Always" after 2.4.x OTA due to supposed mobile key improvements, but man this makes me second guess it.

Attachments

• IMG_1533.webp
    IMG_1533.webp
    87.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1534.webp
    IMG_1534.webp
    90.2 KB · Views: 18
I have found the same thing. I finally turned off background processing on the app. I'm OK with not being able to use the phone as a mobile key, as that never worked very well for me any way. But it means every time I do open the app, I have to dismiss a dialog complaining about having these permissions switched off.

Yep, I had to turn off background activity. Was by far the biggest battery consumer; no other app. even close.

I still hope to use the app as a mobile key, I think it works as long as you just open it up and leave Location services "while using". The nice thing is that OTA 2.4.x dramatically improved the speed the app wakes up the car - sometimes I felt it would take over a minute, but now it takes 10 seconds or so. So I guess I'll just have the app on my home screen and open it if I need mobile key. Not super convenient but until they fix the battery drain issue I can live with it.

(Whether or not they fix the battery drain remains to be seen - it seems like most people don't suffer this)

That must be frustrating, however, I have location and background on always and my power drain is 7%, less than my weather widget...iPhone 13, iOS 17.6.1

IOS 18 and iPhone 15 pro max. Lucid is using 3% of the battery. My power drain used to be much higher before IOS 18. Location is set to always.

The Lucid mobile app on iOS in the past few versions definitely drains way more battery than it should. There's some sort of background activity bug that keeps the app alive and lets it run. I've seen it take 10-15% of my battery in a given day, which is preposterous when the app wasn't even on my screen for more than a few seconds, and I'm hundreds of feet from my car.

I hope this is on their todo list to address in a future release.

I've noticed this as well, 100% background usage that drains the battery quickly. Doesn't seem to do it all the time though. When I notice it, I'll hard close the lucid app and restart it. Then it'll stop whatever background process it gets stuck in for a while, often a day or two.

3% last 10 days 🤷‍♂️

Back