Crash Testing?

LCIDdreams

Cars
Lucid Air Pure…eventually
I checked NHTSA.gov and IIHS.org but didn’t see any crash test ratings for Lucid. A little surprising, as deliveries started October last year. I assumed that all cars for sale in the US would be tested by at least one of these entities but perhaps this only applies once a certain number of deliveries have happened (as it could be infeasible for low volume manufacturers)?

Has anyone seen anything? I assume some European testing requirements might also come into play once deliveries start there.

I checked NHTSA.gov and IIHS.org but didn’t see any crash test ratings for Lucid. A little surprising, as deliveries started October last year. I assumed that all cars for sale in the US would be tested by at least one of these entities but perhaps this only applies once a certain number of deliveries have happened (as it could be infeasible for low volume manufacturers)?

Has anyone seen anything? I assume some European testing requirements might also come into play once deliveries start there.
I was told by a Lucid rep early this year that in their crash testing, when they did the roll test, they literally could not get the car to roll. It's so heavy, and the center of gravity is so low, that it could not be flipped.

Take that with a grain of salt. But it does indicate that 1) Lucid has done crash testing on the car, of course. And 2) They seem to be proud of the results.

Why no independent testing has been made public yet is a mystery to me. I wonder if anyone here is familiar with the regulations regarding that.

I seem to recall Tesla crash tests for the Model S coming later than I would have expected, too. But again, they did very well. So I wouldn't consider it a sign of anything Lucid is trying to hide. Just might be a quirk in the system of how these things are carried out.

Low production vehicles are not required to be crash tested. There is a minimum standard of safety set, which does get authorized by the NHTSA but the star safety test stuff comes when the car is produced in volume.

Low production vehicles are not required to be crash tested. There is a minimum standard of safety set, which does get authorized by the NHTSA but the star safety test stuff comes when the car is produced in volume.
All vehicles are crash tested (low volume or not), because that's required by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. What the original poster probably is referring to are NHTSA's New Car Assessment Program crash tests (where vehicles get the famous star ratings) and Insurance Institute for Highway Safety crash tests that are more severe than those required by Federal safety standards. Expensive vehicles are rarely tested in the NCAP and IIHS programs because they are just too expensive (NHTSA's using your tax dollars and IIHS is using funds from your insurance premiums) and sell in relatively low sales volumes. That's why you're not likely to see crash test ratings for a Ferrari.

could not get the car to roll. It's so heavy, and the center of gravity is so low, that it could not be flipped.

Take that with a grain of salt.
I don't think I'll go out and try to roll mine!

All vehicles are crash tested (low volume or not), because that's required by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. What the original poster probably is referring to are NHTSA's New Car Assessment Program crash tests (where vehicles get the famous star ratings) and Insurance Institute for Highway Safety crash tests that are more severe than those required by Federal safety standards. Expensive vehicles are rarely tested in the NCAP and IIHS programs because they are just too expensive (NHTSA's using your tax dollars and IIHS is using funds from your insurance premiums) and sell in relatively low sales volumes. That's why you're not likely to see crash test ratings for a Ferrari.
Yes- I was checking for the NHTSA / IIHS ratings.

That makes sense- thanks. Out of interest I searched a few other brands and found (I’m ignoring SUV type vehicles as I’m just not familiar enough with what the models are for most brands):
-BMW: nothing higher than ~an M3 / 5 series tested
-Mercedes: nothing higher than ~an E-class tested
-Audi: maybe a wider range than merc and BMW (ie A7, RS6 and E-Trons tested)
-Tesla: 3, Y, S & X tested (although not every model year of each)
-Polestar: nothing tested
-Porsche: nothing tested

At that point the NHTSA website crapped out on me :)

"7 Dec 2022

Euro NCAP performs a series of crash and safety tests on car models: - a frontal impact test, 50% of the width of the car is striking an oncoming deformable barrier, also travelling at 50 km/h - a frontal impact test, the car impacts a rigid full width barrier - a side impact test, a mobile deformable barrier impacts the driver's door - a pole test, the tested car is propelled sideways - a far-side impact test, the robustness of the centre airbag is evaluated by two dummies in the front. A series of pedestrian tests are conducted with different impactors, adult and child head form, lower and upper leg form and whiplash tests are performed on a sled as well as AEB pedestrian and cyclist tests. Active safety is tested based on the car’s equipment: autonomous emergency braking car-to-car scenarios, occupant status monitoring (including seatbelt reminders), lane support and speed assistance technologies. All details on the Euro NCAP Website: Lucid Air 2022 test information https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/l... Euro NCAP December 2022 Press release https://www.euroncap.com/en/press-med... "

5 STAR SAFETY RATING

"Euro NCAP has awarded the Lucid Air a five-star safety rating as the Californian EQS and Model S rival gets closer to arriving in Europe."

Pictures, Video, Results.

Back