Cop Reactions: Anyone get stopped for speeding yet ?

Cosmo Cruz

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
2022 Air GT: Cos/Cruz
DE Number
I'm expecting to get caught speeding any day now ... the car is so quiet and smooth if there are no cars around for reference I often look down and see I'm way faster than I thought.

Let's start a thread on cop reactions. Asking for a friend.

This reminds me that I really need to get the Stinger system installed...

I'm expecting to get caught speeding any day now ... the car is so quiet and smooth if there are no cars around for reference I often look down and see I'm way faster than I thought.

Let's start a thread on cop reactions. Asking for a friend.
My little Uniden radar detector has saved me several times already. My lone interaction with a cop was at Starbucks where he saw my car and said “my buddy who’s a firefighter said if those catch on fire it’s impossible to put it out!” and seemed to be pretty anti-EV even though I told him gas cars catch fire waaaaaay more often. He did say the car looked amazing though.

Lithium metal + water (high humidity is enough to start it) = hydrogen gas = boom!

+ enough heat for china syndrome = 2000 C. steel melts at ~ 1500 C

" Hot or burning lithium will react with all gases except those of the helium-argon group. It also reacts violently with concrete, wood, asphalt, sand, asbestos; and in fact, nearly everything except metal. Do not apply water to adjacent fires. Hydrogen explosion may result. (USCG, 1999) " Though it won't chemically react with steel, it will melt through it easily

"Firefighting : (see video)

I tell people, " If you think you have a fire remember this:

1. hold your phone camera horizontally .

2. stand upwind as far away as possible ... the fumes are lithium hydroxide .... like oven cleaner on steroids.

I'm just trying to scare you .... engineers are working on it: https://www.designnews.com/electronics-test/new-solution-keep-lithium-batteries-catching-fire

Last edited:
There’s that fire safety video on Lucid’s specifically and it’s pretty awesome as they describe all the technical specifics of how to extricate someone safely from the car and put out a fire. It’s very long and detailed. Of course these cars don’t spontaneously combust, there’s zero cases of that, just one fire because the driver went at insanely high speeds and killed himself and the passenger, and another one that only caught fire because the transport truck caught fire.

I'm not worried about it. We used to make the foils for batteries (70's - 80's) right in downtown Exton, PA. The foil-making lab was kept below 2% humidity. When working with it I used a glove box with pure Argon atmosphere. We had the fire Co. come out and show them what to do if we had a fire = we'd put a small piece of metal on a steel plate and let them try to put it out. It was fun to see their faces when everything they tried made it worse. Finally we'd show them the metal x powder....covered a tiny piece of burning metal with a whole bucket of metal-x.....after a while we'd uncover it and it would re-ignite. Next morning reaction complete....hole in steel plate with molten steel....hole in concrete under the plate. In all those decades we only had one "incident". For obvious reasons we kept the foils we made in steel drums under argon, outside under an open shed-roof concrete dock far from the labs. A wicked thunderstorm must have sent one flying (lithium metal is so light you can't tell an empty drum from a full one) and somehow water got in...onlytakes a drop or two...we found a hole in the steel roof and parts of the drum in a corn field. Fun times. Every chemist I've ever met has a story about stuff like this. Be afraid of chemists...every one of them knows how to make stuff blow up. The character on Breaking Bad is accurate. Sick people.

I want to emphasize the batteries are safe. I park and charge my Lucid in the garage under my bedroom. (retired Li chemist)

I'm not worried about it. We used to make the foils for batteries (70's - 80's) right in downtown Exton, PA. The foil-making lab was kept below 2% humidity. When working with it I used a glove box with pure Argon atmosphere. We had the fire Co. come out and show them what to do if we had a fire = we'd put a small piece of metal on a steel plate and let them try to put it out. It was fun to see their faces when everything they tried made it worse. Finally we'd show them the metal x powder....covered a tiny piece of burning metal with a whole bucket of metal-x.....after a while we'd uncover it and it would re-ignite. Next morning reaction complete....hole in steel plate with molten steel....hole in concrete under the plate. In all those decades we only had one "incident". For obvious reasons we kept the foils we made in steel drums under argon, outside under an open shed-roof concrete dock far from the labs. A wicked thunderstorm must have sent one flying (lithium metal is so light you can't tell an empty drum from a full one) and somehow water got in...onlytakes a drop or two...we found a hole in the steel roof and parts of the drum in a corn field. Fun times. Every chemist I've ever met has a story about stuff like this. Be afraid of chemists...every one of them knows how to make stuff blow up. The character on Breaking Bad is accurate. Sick people.

I want to emphasize the batteries are safe. I park and charge my Lucid in the garage under my bedroom. (retired Li chemist)
Ha this is fun. And then you got an RV and went Breaking Bad and the rest is history? I loved chemistry class. Li and Na are in the same column of the periodic table, add H20 to Na and go boom, so I guess it would make sense with Li also. For a little bit of time I used to use Argon to preserve uncorked spirits and wine, since it’s heavier and would displace the oxidizing O2. I guess it makes sense as a way to prevent combustion also.

There’s that fire safety video on Lucid’s specifically and it’s pretty awesome as they describe all the technical specifics of how to extricate someone safely from the car and put out a fire. It’s very long and detailed. Of course these cars don’t spontaneously combust, there’s zero cases of that, just one fire because the driver went at insanely high speeds and killed himself and the passenger, and another one that only caught fire because the transport truck caught fire.
But some people spontaneously combust...especially those that don’t get their car on time. ;)

Ha this is fun. And then you got an RV and went Breaking Bad and the rest is history? I loved chemistry class. Li and Na are in the same column of the periodic table, add H20 to Na and go boom, so I guess it would make sense with Li also. For a little bit of time I used to use Argon to preserve uncorked spirits and wine, since it’s heavier and would displace the oxidizing O2. I guess it makes sense as a way to prevent combustion also.
Back at MIT, we used to drop a big bar of Sodium in the Charles river once a year, for decades, until…

“The Sodium Drop traditionally consisted of a bar of metallic sodium dropped into the Charles River, producing loud explosions due to the rapid exothermic conversion of sodium metal to sodium hydroxide and the ignition of the resulting hydrogen gas. In the past, Sodium Drops occurred sporadically, initiated by impromptu groups of students from various dorms and fraternities.

However, in 2007, five volunteers using a boat to clean up trash from the river banks were injured by a small explosion and fire, apparently caused by unreacted sodium residue. MIT quickly donated funds to pay for decontaminating and repairing the boat, although it was not clear at the time who was responsible for the damage.

A criminal case was initiated, and a graduate student accepted responsibility, resulting in a fine and a community-service sentence. In addition, a long-running civil suit against a fraternity resulted from this incident, culminating in a six-figure out-of-court settlement. The student newspaper The Tech has published an editorial urging readers to take responsibility for any injuries to innocent parties that result from the prank.”

I'm sorry but it seems I posted the wrong comments on my own topic header (my comments were meant for a different post elsewhere). I spend time on Reddit where the subreddit topic is always visible at the top of the page....not so here, hence my mis-post.
I just now realized I can see the topic header: in the address bar. I need to look at that before I start commenting.

Anyway it's nice to see that nobody here has been stopped by the tax man.

Back at MIT, we used to drop a big bar of Sodium in the Charles river once a year, for decades, until…

“The Sodium Drop traditionally consisted of a bar of metallic sodium dropped into the Charles River, producing loud explosions due to the rapid exothermic conversion of sodium metal to sodium hydroxide and the ignition of the resulting hydrogen gas. In the past, Sodium Drops occurred sporadically, initiated by impromptu groups of students from various dorms and fraternities.

However, in 2007, five volunteers using a boat to clean up trash from the river banks were injured by a small explosion and fire, apparently caused by unreacted sodium residue. MIT quickly donated funds to pay for decontaminating and repairing the boat, although it was not clear at the time who was responsible for the damage.

A criminal case was initiated, and a graduate student accepted responsibility, resulting in a fine and a community-service sentence. In addition, a long-running civil suit against a fraternity resulted from this incident, culminating in a six-figure out-of-court settlement. The student newspaper The Tech has published an editorial urging readers to take responsibility for any injuries to innocent parties that result from the prank.”
So uh.. are you going to take responsibility?

I didn't fully anticipate how easy it is to warp to a very high speed, and immediately return to a more normal speed...silently. Must make us stick out to cops quite a bit less.

I guess you get no reaction if you outrun the cops, at least that’s what a friend says.
Just using Waze has helped me avoid tickets to the point I don’t bother with my Valentine 1 anymore. The other times I was able to use my badge from the New York State police investigators association. That has come in very handy.

Back