Cinescapes 2

julianevjourney

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
Air Touring
I would like to share with you my new music project, Cinescapes 2, just released today. This is a Dolby Atmos project that was thought of as a spatial project from the outset. It’s a short project consisting of music for visual media (film, TV, video games, etc) mixed in Dolby Atmos by yours truly. It was mixed at my home, as well as the studio of John Witt Chapman (Transformers Rise of the Beasts, Creed III, The Mandalorian). I am a composer and sound designer so most of the synth sound design and other created sounds were created by me. For example, one night my wife and I were out for a walk and I heard an interesting and weird sound coming from the yard of a house we were walking by. Their underground sprinkler system made some kind of high pitched sound. So, I recorded the sound on my phone and then later transformed it into something I could use in one of the pieces of music on this project. Now that it’s available on Tidal I was finally able to listen to it in my car and it sounds great! I hope you find a song or two you can enjoy.

Cinescapes 2 on Tidal

Cinescapes2_HiRes.webp

Wow, amazing!
You are a one talented man.
Reminds me of Hans Zimmer a bit.

@julianevjourney dude, I compose and write too; mad respect.

Distant Cry might be my favorite. The middle of it literally had me searching my roof and entire car for little rattles and creepy crawlies. It’s pretty rare that something will sound *that* realistic to me.

Well done!

@julianevjourney dude, I compose and write too; mad respect.

Distant Cry might be my favorite. The middle of it literally had me searching my roof and entire car for little rattles and creepy crawlies. It’s pretty rare that something will sound *that* realistic to me.

Well done!
Ahhhhh, great, a fellow music maker. You have your hands in just about everything 😁

It’s always interesting to hear which pieces of music people like. Distant Cry was made primarily with samples, running them through my Eurorack and other outboard gear to mangle, reverse, and distort sounds. Then running them through a software plugin called Energy Panner that made them move around the room. From a composition standpoint it’s not sophisticated but from a sound design standpoint it took awhile to get something I really liked.

This is only my second Dolby Atmos project so I’m sure over time they’ll get even better but I’m really happy with it.

Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Ahhhhh, great, a fellow music maker. You have your hands in just about everything 😁
ADHD, man. I’ve done a lot of things a little bit, and a few things a lot. :)

People sometimes think I’m full of it, but I freely admit I know nothing about most things, and enjoy learning.

It’s always interesting to hear which pieces of music people like. Distant Cry was made primarily with samples, running them through my Eurorack and other outboard gear to mangle, reverse, and distort sounds. Then running them through a software plugin called Energy Panner that made them move around the room. From a composition standpoint it’s not sophisticated but from a sound design standpoint it took awhile to get something I really liked.
I know exactly what you mean. Nobody ever sees how the sausage is made, and all the stuff you cared about putting in is stuff almost nobody hears. Every tiny pan and dynamic shift that you agonized over only gets heard as a “feeling” by most people. It’s why whenever I mix anyone else’s stuff I have to caution them that they can spend many many tens of thousands of dollars further editing a song that was done thirty edits ago, for nothing that got changed now would ever be heard by anyone but the two of us.

This is only my second Dolby Atmos project so I’m sure over time they’ll get even better but I’m really happy with it.
It’s honestly great. I’ve listened to the album twice today, and it neither gets repetitive or overwhelming. A lot of Atmos albums try to do too much; the soundstage is almost too wide, and too expansive, causing people’s ear to fatigue as they try to pay attention, and so you’ll notice people stop listening without visuals to drive it.

This doesn’t do too much. And it’s well-paced and well-composed. Tons of great dynamic choices, lots of great build choices, fantastic movement and “wall of sound” where helpful, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to listen.
Thanks for giving me a fun new album to rotate in! <3

Last edited:
I'm only three tracks in and I love your style! Thank you for sharing!

I would like to share with you my new music project, Cinescapes 2, just released today. This is a Dolby Atmos project that was thought of as a spatial project from the outset. It’s a short project consisting of music for visual media (film, TV, video games, etc) mixed in Dolby Atmos by yours truly. It was mixed at my home, as well as the studio of John Witt Chapman (Transformers Rise of the Beasts, Creed III, The Mandalorian). I am a composer and sound designer so most of the synth sound design and other created sounds were created by me. For example, one night my wife and I were out for a walk and I heard an interesting and weird sound coming from the yard of a house we were walking by. Their underground sprinkler system made some kind of high pitched sound. So, I recorded the sound on my phone and then later transformed it into something I could use in one of the pieces of music on this project. Now that it’s available on Tidal I was finally able to listen to it in my car and it sounds great! I hope you find a song or two you can enjoy.

Cinescapes 2 on Tidal

View attachment 23782
Amazing man!

Cinescapes 2 on Tidal

View attachment 23782
Any chance you could make this available in some sort of digital download we could put on a USB stick? My understanding is the car can play back Dolby Atmos that way, so long as the file format is correct.

I no longer subscribe to Tidal.

Happy to pay for the download.

Any chance you could make this available in some sort of digital download we could put on a USB stick? My understanding is the car can play back Dolby Atmos that way, so long as the file format is correct.

I no longer subscribe to Tidal.

Happy to pay for the download.
Unfortunately this is not entirely accurate. A Dolby Atmos audio file is a special kind of WAV file referred to as an ADM BWF file or just simply ADM file. It is this file that gets sent to Tidal and Apple and is used by their music apps when playing Dolby Atmos music. If I put that exact file on a USB stick and load the stick into the car, the car doesn’t even recognize the file. If I try to play the file it doesn’t do anything. Now, I can take what is called a “re-render” of the ADM file and export a surround mix (5.1) or a binaural mix (intended for headphones) and the car can play that but it isn’t truly a full 7.1.4 Atmos render of the music. I can also export an mp4 file but it again isn’t a full Atmos render of the music. So, currently Tidal is the only way I know of to get truly Dolby Atmos music in our vehicles. Maybe also Amazon Music but I’m not sure about that.

Unfortunately this is not entirely accurate. A Dolby Atmos audio file is a special kind of WAV file referred to as an ADM BWF file or just simply ADM file. It is this file that gets sent to Tidal and Apple and is used by their music apps when playing Dolby Atmos music. If I put that exact file on a USB stick and load the stick into the car, the car doesn’t even recognize the file. If I try to play the file it doesn’t do anything. Now, I can take what is called a “re-render” of the ADM file and export a surround mix (5.1) or a binaural mix (intended for headphones) and the car can play that but it isn’t truly a full 7.1.4 Atmos render of the music. I can also export an mp4 file but it again isn’t a full Atmos render of the music. So, currently Tidal is the only way I know of to get truly Dolby Atmos music in our vehicles. Maybe also Amazon Music but I’m not sure about that.
@GoFast once mentioned that this works: https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/catch-a-corner-cinque-atmos-mkv-mp4/

It does seem that Atmos can be encoded into an mp4 based on what I’m reading…

I don't know how you do the export/render, but you definitely can get 7.1.4 in an MP4. It's lossy, but only slightly. https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/ has some actual music in this format, and you can download their test tracks with channel identification to try them out in the car. I've done it, and unless my ears is really lying to me I can here all the channels independently.

I don't know how you do the export/render, but you definitely can get 7.1.4 in an MP4. It's lossy, but only slightly. https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/ has some actual music in this format, and you can download their test tracks with channel identification to try them out in the car. I've done it, and unless my ears is really lying to me I can hear all the channels independently.
Dolby provides something called the Dolby Atmos Renderer and using this tool you can most definitely export mp4 files. My understanding though, which could be wrong, is that the target of mp4 exports out of the Dolby tools are devices that are not Atmos compatible. You might give it to a client so they could listen to the mix on any device and be able to get a sense of what it sounds like. I’m pretty sure the mp4 export uses the Downmix and trim settings when it does the encoding.

Here's an old article from Dolby that talks a little about it. I couldn’t find a newer article from Dolby themselves so this might be outdated now. I personally use mp4 and binaural re-renders to help me QC mixes but I never consider them fully Atmos exports of the music. The only fully Atmos export in my opinion is an ADM file but maybe I’m wrong about that.

Back