Charging Starting and Stopping

Jmh1023

Member

Joined
Mar 24, 2024
Messages
17
Reaction score
19
Location
Columbus Ohio
Cars
2023 Lucid Air Pure, AWD
Since the update the car suddenly doesn’t like itself on my home charger. Our other car (Volvo) uses the same charger without any issues. Basically, the charging starts and stops every 10-20 minutes and then eventually stops altogether. When I open up the app the charging restarts again and eventually gets the car up to a full charge (80%). Lucid had me do a hard reset (no luck). My home charger is a professional install of Lucid parts and isn’t overheating and there are no loose cords etc. Has anyone else seen this?
 
My home charger is a professional install of Lucid parts and isn’t overheating and there are no loose cords etc.
So this is an actual Lucid wall connector? If not, some wall connectors have interaction issues with their time of day scheduling and the scheduling set up in the Lucid car. If you have scheduling turned on in either the wall connector or Lucid, you may want to turn it off and see it helps.
 
So this is an actual Lucid wall connector? If not, some wall connectors have interaction issues with their time of day scheduling and the scheduling set up in the Lucid car. If you have scheduling turned on in either the wall connector or Lucid, you may want to turn it off and see it helps.
It is the Lucid cord that came with the car. It was professionally installed and I had no issues with it or our other car until the latest update. Now it cycles itself off and on for no apparent reason. I have not set up scheduled charging. So not sure what to do. Lucid says to try it on another charger (public EA) and see what it does before they will put it in as a service call. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this since the update.
 
I am also have same issue for last 2-3 months. Finally - planning to take to service center. Only way to keep the charging going is keep the app open in front.
 
I am also have same issue for last 2-3 months. Finally - planning to take to service center. Only way to keep the charging going is keep the app open in front.
I'm on version 2.8.0 and I'm having the same issue. Multiple start/stop cycles charging. I did not have this issue previously. I am using a Tesla Gen 3 Level 2 wall charger set at 48A on a 60A line. I'm using the Lectron 80A adapter - Since Lucid doesn't offer anything here and using a 240V line isn't possible in my garage.

When the app informs charging stopped, I cannot "re-initiate" charging. I have to wait some period of time before it will start again. It's taken me nearly 3 hours to limp my way from 30% to 40% SOC. Something seems off. Initial thought was because of the high ambient heat in the garage, yet the wall charger is not signaling this at all. It will indicate if so, and previous high-temp charging sessions worked just fine. Not sure what to do but this may be a service call.
 
I'm on version 2.8.0 and I'm having the same issue. Multiple start/stop cycles charging. I did not have this issue previously. I am using a Tesla Gen 3 Level 2 wall charger set at 48A on a 60A line. I'm using the Lectron 80A adapter - Since Lucid doesn't offer anything here and using a 240V line isn't possible in my garage.

When the app informs charging stopped, I cannot "re-initiate" charging. I have to wait some period of time before it will start again. It's taken me nearly 3 hours to limp my way from 30% to 40% SOC. Something seems off. Initial thought was because of the high ambient heat in the garage, yet the wall charger is not signaling this at all. It will indicate if so, and previous high-temp charging sessions worked just fine. Not sure what to do but this may be a service call.
Additional info - Spoke to service today. They wanted me to try DCFC to see if car still charges normally and will try to get a mobile tech here to see the condition at home, as they won't be able to replicate exactly at the service center.

I informed on the latest 2.8.0 build and that I noticed there is a "Charge Limit" function now, which I do see in the release notes was added in this version. It was set at the default 80A for the vehicle. Of course this is a "limit" so didn't think this was a problem but I set it to match my wall unit to 48A. My hunch is there could be a software issue with this new charging update. This behavior is very recent for me - Only seemed to notice it after 2.8.0. Will see what Mobile Service has to say.
 
Additional info - Spoke to service today. They wanted me to try DCFC to see if car still charges normally and will try to get a mobile tech here to see the condition at home, as they won't be able to replicate exactly at the service center.

I informed on the latest 2.8.0 build and that I noticed there is a "Charge Limit" function now, which I do see in the release notes was added in this version. It was set at the default 80A for the vehicle. Of course this is a "limit" so didn't think this was a problem but I set it to match my wall unit to 48A. My hunch is there could be a software issue with this new charging update. This behavior is very recent for me - Only seemed to notice it after 2.8.0. Will see what Mobile Service has to say.
What happened with your new setting? Did it fix the problem?
 
What happened with your new setting? Did it fix the problem?
Unfortunately, no change. I'm able to charge in 15-20 minute sessions before the "Charging Stopped" appears. Waiting for a callback to confirm the mobile service appointment.
 
I've reached out to Lectron on the 80A adapter I'm using with the Tesla wall unit. Sounds like the vehicle is sensing temperature and stopping charging before the wall unit, which makes sense. I see it stop when the wall unit is green lights and happily flowing current. This new 2.8.0 "charge limit" function came just in time. I've cut from 48A to 40A. which is what the Lectron rep suggested as well. Will give that a go next time I need a charge. It just seems odd that I can pull up to a DCFC in 110 degree heat and charge more than 48A but can't on AC. I'm guessing the heat/cooling is different between AC and DC?
 
I've reached out to Lectron on the 80A adapter I'm using with the Tesla wall unit. Sounds like the vehicle is sensing temperature and stopping charging before the wall unit, which makes sense. I see it stop when the wall unit is green lights and happily flowing current. This new 2.8.0 "charge limit" function came just in time. I've cut from 48A to 40A. which is what the Lectron rep suggested as well. Will give that a go next time I need a charge. It just seems odd that I can pull up to a DCFC in 110 degree heat and charge more than 48A but can't on AC. I'm guessing the heat/cooling is different between AC and DC?
Adjusting charge limit in the car to 40A did the trick. Completed charging, no issue. Glad we now have this feature.
 
Thought this was resolved but same issue. Going to try to eliminate wall charger, cable, and adapter. No other choice since I can’t get into service until November. Temps are starting to go down so maybe that will also help.
 
We have an ongoing lengthy thread on this subject. There, most people are complaining not of outright stopping of charge session but significant throttling down to like 5-7kw after about 30 mins. It’s been flagged for Lucid review by the forum’s Lucid liaison. We’ll see what happens.
 
Thanks. Yes, I’m in that one as well. As an update to the stopping after 30 min, I turned off scheduled charging as I’ve heard, and had a full 3hr session at full power, no stopping.
 
Thanks. Yes, I’m in that one as well. As an update to the stopping after 30 min, I turned off scheduled charging as I’ve heard, and had a full 3hr session at full power, no stopping.
Which thread are you referring to here? I am a relatively new Lucid owner and am experiencing these same issues as well with my home charging.
 
Which thread are you referring to here? I am a relatively new Lucid owner and am experiencing these same issues as well with my home charging.
Here is the other thread: https://lucidowners.com/threads/connected-home-charger-speed-decreasing-on-100a-circuit.12334/

This one is different but there may be some related issues from one of the recent software updates. What is your home EVSE solution? Are you using an adapter with another EVSE or Lucid EVSE? The start/stop appears to be affecting Lucid and Tesla EVSEs. I am using a Lectron 80A adapter on a Tesla Gen 3 wall unit.
 
Thanks for the link. I am using a ChargePoint HomeFlex Level 2 EV Charger J1772
 
Thanks for the link. I am using a ChargePoint HomeFlex Level 2 EV Charger J1772
Ok. I just received word that Lectron is sending me a replacement 80A NACS to J1772 adapter. I'll report if this resolve my issue.
 
Since the update the car suddenly doesn’t like itself on my home charger. Our other car (Volvo) uses the same charger without any issues. Basically, the charging starts and stops every 10-20 minutes and then eventually stops altogether. When I open up the app the charging restarts again and eventually gets the car up to a full charge (80%). Lucid had me do a hard reset (no luck). My home charger is a professional install of Lucid parts and isn’t overheating and there are no loose cords etc. Has anyone else seen this?
I wrestled with the charger starting and stopping for weeks. I adjusted the charging amt on the pilot panel, I tried charging without scheduling, I tried charging with my app being closed, etc. I began to think the problem may be with my outlet overheating after reading this thread. After many failed attempts, I took my charger to the dealership to be replaced, and the person at the dealership immediately recognized that my charger was not plugged in all the way. Please look at the two photos I've included. Once I plugged in the charger all the way, the charging was not no longer a problem - a simple, quick solution! I suspect this becomes a problem when the charger starts to weigh on the outlet and works itself a little loose.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0350.webp
    IMG_0350.webp
    337.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0349.webp
    IMG_0349.webp
    320.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0305.webp
    IMG_0305.webp
    281 KB · Views: 129
I wrestled with the charger starting and stopping for weeks. I adjusted the charging amt on the pilot panel, I tried charging without scheduling, I tried charging with my app being closed, etc. I began to think the problem may be with my outlet overheating after reading this thread. After many failed attempts, I took my charger to the dealership to be replaced, and the person at the dealership immediately recognized that my charger was not plugged in all the way. Please look at the two photos I've included. Once I plugged in the charger all the way, the charging was not no longer a problem - a simple, quick solution! I suspect this becomes a problem when the charger starts to weigh on the outlet and works itself a little loose.
That clearly looks like what was happening with your situation. It's different though than the staying connected but throttling down issue in the other thread.
 
I have the same the same problem with my 2023 air touring lately. I didnt have an issue earlier. The charging stopes after 4-5 mins after i start charging via mobile app
 
Back
Top