Charging in the rain

EVCar

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
GT
I've not had to do this yet, but I imagine it's a bit of an inconvenience.
Anyone has any concern about rain getting into the port?
I see some magnetic gadgets on Ebay to cover the port, but, of course, this wouldn't work because the panel is not metal.
Any trick, tip, or innovation?

my single anecdote: after charging my AGT in the rain, I'm alive and well and sending a reply. My guesses: 1. they would have thought of that scenario and mitigated it 2.maybe power isn't supplied till there is enough metal on metal connection 3. everything is isolated to stop electricity from jumping to something dangerous like the frame.

my single anecdote: after charging my AGT in the rain, I'm alive and well and sending a reply. My guesses: 1. they would have thought of that scenario and mitigated it 2.maybe power isn't supplied till there is enough metal on metal connection 3. everything is isolated to stop electricity from jumping to something dangerous like the frame.
So glad to see you survive the experience :)
I'm actually more concerned about the corrosion to the metal connectors in the port than me getting electrocuted. Cars, especially new ones, are more important :)
Ideally, I never want to expose any electrical components to water.

I would just take an umbrella until the connections are made, etc.. Once it's all connected and it's starting charging, I think you're good. I see a lot of leeway before the connectors actually touch for charging, I think part of the extra materials there is for protection

I wouldn’t worry about it. The connectors are metal pins covered in plastic surrounded by a gasket and another layer of plastic.

EEEF0B2D-1F86-4487-8E97-4DD5E188BDD0.jpeg

I’ve charged my i pace outside in the snow and rain. In fact I think I’ve charged it outside more than inside. Never had a problem in the rain or snow.

I’ve also left my J1772s outside in the rain uncovered.

Now that I think about I’ve pretty much abused them, lol.

It makes sense to be concerned. But EVs have been around for a while now. And the designers / engineers have to prepare for these contingencies. These cars are tested in all sorts of scenarios. Rain, snow, extreme heat, and so on. I don’t think we need to worry about it.

Almost all the gas stations have a ceiling to protect from wind rain etc. Why didn't EV chargers go that route?
While they at it, they can put solar panels above ceiling.

Almost all the gas stations have a ceiling to protect from wind rain etc. Why didn't EV chargers go that route?
Some are starting to pop up with solar panels overhead in CA (and I assume elsewhere as well).

I can be added to the list of people who have survived after plugging my car in while raining. Standing in a puddle. Didn’t even think twice. There is a delay of “real” power being sent to the car until it communicates with the station and your car. Bonus… if you are using EA, good chance it doesn’t start charging anyway because, you know, it’s an EA station 😂. Kidding… kind of…

If you look at a gas nozzle inserted into a gas tank and then look at an EV charger you can see that they are completely different setups and what applies to one does not necessarily apply to another.

I have a feeling that rain could work it’s way into a gas tank much more easily if you were filling it up in the rain.

If you look at a gas nozzle inserted into a gas tank and then look at an EV charger you can see that they are completely different setups and what applies to one does not necessarily apply to another.

I have a feeling that rain could work it’s way into a gas tank much more easily if you were filling it up in the rain.
Irrespective of damaging or not damaging, it provides shelter to the person charging.

I think the primary reason that gas stations have coverings is for the fire suppression systems. The fact that they provide shelter to people pumping gas is a secondary benefit. Also, you're supposed to stay outside your car when you pump gas. You don't have to do that when you charge.

Back