"Charging Error"

BS8899

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
I have my Lucid GT for almost 2 weeks. I received it with 2.0 software already installed. There was another OTA (2.0.X) about a week later, which I downloaded and installed. However, I continue to experience "Charging Error". The error is NOT limited to just delayed charging. I have to physically unlug and replug the charging cable.
I have a JuniceBox and also a separate NEMA 14-50 receptacle in my garage. I tried charging through the JuiceBox and using the the Lucid cable directly to the NEMA 14-50. Sometimes it works but often it doesn't (i.e., I get the "Charging Error" and it won't clear even if I unplug and replug in the cable).
Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

I have my Lucid GT for almost 2 weeks. I received it with 2.0 software already installed. There was another OTA (2.0.X) about a week later, which I downloaded and installed. However, I continue to experience "Charging Error". The error is NOT limited to just delayed charging. I have to physically unlug and replug the charging cable.
I have a JuniceBox and also a separate NEMA 14-50 receptacle in my garage. I tried charging through the JuiceBox and using the the Lucid cable directly to the NEMA 14-50. Sometimes it works but often it doesn't (i.e., I get the "Charging Error" and it won't clear even if I unplug and replug in the cable).
Yep, I think almost everyone regardless of EVSE brand.

If you get the error with the Lucid mobile cable, you should contact service. The Lucid cable will flash an error code. Did you get any error code on the Lucid cable?

1669309374524.png

Thanks for the error code list. Let me try it again and see.

Never had an error and have used the Lucid charger, and an Old 40 A Tesla charger with an adapter.

I have the same problem with my Touring, using JuiceBox 40. I need the ToU feature . Did you resolve the problem?

I have the same problem with my Touring, using JuiceBox 40. I need the ToU feature . Did you resolve the problem?
I would definitely call service on this one. I have that same charger and it has never produced this error.

I would definitely call service on this one. I have that same charger and it has never produced this error.

I think so.....let me explain why I sound a bit tentative:
At the time I posted this "Charging Error" problem, unbeknownst to me, I actually had two confounding problem on my (then 2 week old) AGT. To make a long story short, Lucid had to replace my entire "Wunderbox" (took 2 weeks in the shop) as my AGT would not charge on any L2 charge, though it charged on EA fast chargers.

So, after the "Wunderbox" was replaced, it charged properly on L2.

Your question is: what about ToU delayed charging, correct?
The problem with ToU through a JuiceBox is as follows:
...when you plug your Lucid into the JuiceBox outside of ToU times, there is no power to the plug. The Lucid detects a "fault" and flags an error. It ask you to disconnect and reseat the plug, correct? Still, there is no power.
....after a while, the Lucid goes to sleep. When the ToU arrives, your JuiceBox starts to supply the power to the plug. By then, the Lucid is fast asleep and won't notice there is now power in the plug. As a result, the car won't charge.
....the key herein is to first make sure there is power from the JuiceBox to the plu, THEN wake up the Lucid. With this sequence, the Lucid will see there is power in the plug and will commence charging

Now, the question is how to execute this sequence.
....I took a hint from another Lucid owner who uses an iPhone. He suggested I write a script to launch the Lucid App at the time of ToU.
....since I use an Android phone and I am too lazy to write a script, I downloaded an Alarm Clock app from the Play Store (Alarm Clock Extreme). This App allows you yo trigger and launch an App when the alarm goes off. So, set the alarm clock to (say) 2-3min (to allow some margin in case the JuiceBoc clock and the Alarm clock are slightly out of synch) after the ToU is triggered by the JuiceBox so there is power in the plug. When the alarm goes off, it launches the Lucid App, wakes up the Lucid, and it charges.

I hope it works for you. Let me know. Good luck.

Sorry for the long-winded reply.

I think so.....let me explain why I sound a bit tentative:
At the time I posted this "Charging Error" problem, unbeknownst to me, I actually had two confounding problem on my (then 2 week old) AGT. To make a long story short, Lucid had to replace my entire "Wunderbox" (took 2 weeks in the shop) as my AGT would not charge on any L2 charge, though it charged on EA fast chargers.

So, after the "Wunderbox" was replaced, it charged properly on L2.

Your question is: what about ToU delayed charging, correct?
The problem with ToU through a JuiceBox is as follows:
...when you plug your Lucid into the JuiceBox outside of ToU times, there is no power to the plug. The Lucid detects a "fault" and flags an error. It ask you to disconnect and reseat the plug, correct? Still, there is no power.
....after a while, the Lucid goes to sleep. When the ToU arrives, your JuiceBox starts to supply the power to the plug. By then, the Lucid is fast asleep and won't notice there is now power in the plug. As a result, the car won't charge.
....the key herein is to first make sure there is power from the JuiceBox to the plu, THEN wake up the Lucid. With this sequence, the Lucid will see there is power in the plug and will commence charging

Now, the question is how to execute this sequence.
....I took a hint from another Lucid owner who uses an iPhone. He suggested I write a script to launch the Lucid App at the time of ToU.
....since I use an Android phone and I am too lazy to write a script, I downloaded an Alarm Clock app from the Play Store (Alarm Clock Extreme). This App allows you yo trigger and launch an App when the alarm goes off. So, set the alarm clock to (say) 2-3min (to allow some margin in case the JuiceBoc clock and the Alarm clock are slightly out of synch) after the ToU is triggered by the JuiceBox so there is power in the plug. When the alarm goes off, it launches the Lucid App, wakes up the Lucid, and it charges.

I hope it works for you. Let me know. Good luck.

Sorry for the long-winded reply.
Yes, I was the one who wrote that iOS script. The good news is, we do not have time of use charges where I am so I wrote it for another user and didn’t test it for myself.

I like your solution, very elegant.

Problem solved.
I removed the ToU start and end time for weekdays and weekends.
Removed the vehicle information.
Unplugged JuiceBox for 15 minutes.
Entered ToU hours and all is good.

I spoke too soon. They problem returned last night. Lucid did not wake up to charge.

Yes, the key is to "wake up" the Lucid, AFTER the ToU power comes on.
The "Alarm Clock" method I outlined doesn't seem to work "all the time" either.
If there is a way to Launch the Lucid App directly into the "Charging" screen, it should work.

From Lucid Customer Care:
Unfortunately at this time this you will continue to have to manually initiate the charging session until a future OTA Update has resolved this Software issue. Thank you for your patience and understanding. I've already pushed this feedback to the necessary internal Teams for visibility.
Yes, the Engineering and OTA Update Teams are working on allowing you to access scheduled charging via the Lucid Mobile App but I don't have any information on the ETA of that Update.

Back