Charging Anxiety Article

Agree, we drive lots of long 600+mi trips that are fairly remote Estes Park CO, SW doesn't have enough infrastructure yet for me easier to just use the ice car... Dallas to Houston ok but not a long cross country drive yet, we just don't have as much EV infrastructure yet that a highly populated state like CA does.... yet.

Sure an Ice car is easier. It's 100 years of infrastructure. I have driven Amarillo to Dallas multiple times. I've been to Monument Valley, the Grand Canyon, and the Billy the Kid museum. Never would have attempted with anything other than a Lucid. Right now driving an EV requires more planning. It can be done. Absolutely not ready for the masses for long road trips. The other 90% of driving no problem.

this guy doesn't get it ... a NYT reporter who doesn't seem to be well-informed:
NYT Range Anxiety
This article happens to be a manufactured controversy pile of crap. My wife's car is the exact vehicle he rented except XC40 recharge version, same color, 2023 model year with the lower range and everything. All you have to do is put in your destination and it will tell you when and where to charge and give you options, like the Lucid does except even better as it's GoogleMaps based, you know, the navigation app that literally everyone including this journalist knows how to use. In fact he could have put in his entire route the entire time he was there, but he must have deliberately done it wrong and not chosen fast chargers, as on the route he traveled there is a Chargepoint, a Shell Recharge, and guess fucking what, a Tesla Magic Dock in Monticello that's been there since the beginning of this month (2 weeks before this article was published)and it appears another Volvo XC 40 EV owner got 150kw on it just yesterday according to PlugShare. I don't even know what this dumbass was doing, he must have not had a story so he put in his destination and then deleted the stops the Volvo was recommending. I've never seen the car recommend as first priority a 6.2kw slow charger, it even tells you whether they're fast chargers or not. Chargepoint is also Volvo's preferred network so there's no way it wouldn't have recommended that in the navigation. He could have still had the story, as he would have had to stop a total of 3 times for the round trip from Minneapolis airport Hertz to the SD state line (he says where he went was right over the border and passed through Santa Clara so it's easy to map this guy's route out), and that Chargepoint charger is 50kw which is annoying but then he could have written it cost him $4.50 for his charging session there (that one is 0.09/kw according to PlugShare). I get sooooooo sick of disingenuous journalists sabotaging a scenario so they can get a shocking story. Jerk.

This article happens to be a manufactured controversy pile of crap. My wife's car is the exact vehicle he rented except XC40 recharge version, same color, 2023 model year with the lower range and everything. All you have to do is put in your destination and it will tell you when and where to charge and give you options, like the Lucid does except even better as it's GoogleMaps based, you know, the navigation app that literally everyone including this journalist knows how to use. In fact he could have put in his entire route the entire time he was there, but he must have deliberately done it wrong and not chosen fast chargers, as on the route he traveled there is a Chargepoint, a Shell Recharge, and guess fucking what, a Tesla Magic Dock in Monticello that's been there since the beginning of this month (2 weeks before this article was published)and it appears another Volvo XC 40 EV owner got 150kw on it just yesterday according to PlugShare. I don't even know what this dumbass was doing, he must have not had a story so he put in his destination and then deleted the stops the Volvo was recommending. I've never seen the car recommend as first priority a 6.2kw slow charger, it even tells you whether they're fast chargers or not. Chargepoint is also Volvo's preferred network so there's no way it wouldn't have recommended that in the navigation. He could have still had the story, as he would have had to stop a total of 3 times for the round trip from Minneapolis airport Hertz to the SD state line (he says where he went was right over the border and passed through Santa Clara so it's easy to map this guy's route out), and that Chargepoint charger is 50kw which is annoying but then he could have written it cost him $4.50 for his charging session there (that one is 0.09/kw according to PlugShare). I get sooooooo sick of disingenuous journalists sabotaging a scenario so they can get a shocking story. Jerk.

Tell us how you really feel; don’t hold back.😉😉😜😜

Sure an Ice car is easier. It's 100 years of infrastructure. I have driven Amarillo to Dallas multiple times. I've been to Monument Valley, the Grand Canyon, and the Billy the Kid museum. Never would have attempted with anything other than a Lucid. Right now driving an EV requires more planning. It can be done. Absolutely not ready for the masses for long road trips. The other 90% of driving no problem.
Dallas to Amarillo is the stretch that scares me trying to get to CO. After Amarillo it seems there's enough in NM.

This article happens to be a manufactured controversy pile of crap.
This is wonderful to hear, as the small Volvo EV was on my list to check out. I drove the wife's Mazda yesterday ... I'm thinking it's time to go all - in on EV ... and think about having a well drilled and a windmill and re-do the plumbing / install a heat pump and getting solar / storage batteries, rethink the whole on grid/off grid interface and circuitry ... you know: simplify.

thanks for your post

Dallas to Amarillo is the stretch that scares me trying to get to CO. After Amarillo it seems there's enough in NM.
There is a great Tesla supercharge station between Dallas and Amarillo. I look at it in envy as I drive by.

This is wonderful to hear, as the small Volvo EV was on my list to check out. I drove the wife's Mazda yesterday ... I'm thinking it's time to go all - in on EV ... and think about having a well drilled and a windmill and re-do the plumbing / install a heat pump and getting solar / storage batteries, rethink the whole on grid/off grid interface and circuitry ... you know: simplify.

thanks for your post
Yeah it’s a great second car EV. Plus with all the MagicDock Tesla stations opening up that takes the sting out of the lower range for the Volvo, which is actually better range than most Model 3s get.

Is charging anxiety still a thing ?
Without a doubt, any extended trip requires a lot more planning than a trip in an ICE car. However, I've found it getting easier, albeit slowly. I think in 3 years we'll be much more comfortable on a several hundred mile drive. But right now, eh......
I liken it to getting dental implants. In the short run it sucks quite a bit. but there will be long term benefits. Once we get there 😁

Without a doubt, any extended trip requires a lot more planning than a trip in an ICE car. However, I've found it getting easier, albeit slowly. I think in 3 years we'll be much more comfortable on a several hundred mile drive. But right now, eh......
I liken it to getting dental implants. In the short run it sucks quite a bit. but there will be long term benefits. Once we get there 😁
I'm not sure about that comparison, but I'm not overly fond of dentists at the moment.
I once did a drive from Houston to San Diego in a MG Midget. It's about the tiniest car ever produced. I'm not sure how big the gas tank was, but it only had a range of about 120 miles. We had to do some serious trip planning going through west Texas and New Mexico. Compared to that, a road trip in the Lucid is easy.

Back