borski

Grand Magistrate; Referral Code - Q1BTN5Y3
Verified Owner
Cars
Air DE-P, ZR, 21"
DE Number
Referral Code
Q1BTN5Y3
What do you folks keep your charge limit set to? 80% is the upper limit for “daily driving” but I’m curious if, say, 60% or something is better for the battery? Is there an “ideal” limit for battery lifespan?

Most EV manufacturers recommend a daily charge limit of 80%, except when you’re embarking on a long trip. I don’t know if Lucid’s recommendation is different.

What do you folks keep your charge limit set to? 80% is the upper limit for “daily driving” but I’m curious if, say, 60% or something is better for the battery? Is there an “ideal” limit for battery lifespan?

I have been keeping our EVs set at 80% limit going back to our original car in 2015. We lost very little range over time in the oldest car, so I doubt if 80% causes any significant reduction in battery life over what you would normally see at some supposed "ideal" setting.

I suspect that Lucid, in suggesting a daily charge limit of 50-80%, just wanted to give customers a range in which to feel comfortable instead of making them feel they had to stick rigidly to a specific number. Over 80% day in and day out, you might begin to see a little premature loss of range, and under 50% you might risk drawing the battery down too much if you had to stay on the road more than expected on a daily run.

Starting the day at 80% leaves me comfortable that I will have plenty of range, no matter what surprises the day may throw at me, and that I will likely remain well above 50% charge on most days, below which point the reduction of the pack's ability to produce current might show up -- even if very marginally -- if I got in the mood for spirited driving.

I’ve never kept an EV below 80% daily limit.

Our plug-in hybrid we charged to 100 (Ford Fusion EV)
Our first fully electric we charged to 100 (focus energi, only a 79 mile range)
And our Taycan we charge to 100 (Porsche has a reserve built in on the battery, and they don’t make it easy to set to an 80 limit. Our dealer couldn’t even figure out how to do it consistently)
Our model s and model 3 we did to 90%.

I’ll prob do the Lucid to 80%

(None of these cars ever experienced any real range loss, and my sister still has the model 3)

I’ve never kept an EV below 80% daily limit.

Our plug-in hybrid we charged to 100 (Ford Fusion EV)
Our first fully electric we charged to 100 (focus energi, only a 79 mile range)
And our Taycan we charge to 100 (Porsche has a reserve built in on the battery, and they don’t make it easy to set to an 80 limit. Our dealer couldn’t even figure out how to do it consistently)
Our model s and model 3 we did to 90%.

I’ll prob do the Lucid to 80%

(None of these cars ever experienced any real range loss, and my sister still has the model 3)
We have to charge our Nissan Leaf to 100% daily for the range. It is a 2018 model that has an EPA range of 151 (now about 134) and we will frequently need 100+ miles of that range per day. Now we could get by with taking it to only 80% but cannot guarantee that it would be sufficient for that particular day. So to prevent range anxiety, we definitely need the battery full. Now the Lucid has more range with the larger battery and taking it to only 70-80% will suffice.

I’ll add that San Diego has the highest electric rates in the country (even higher than Hawaii) at an average cost of about 35 cents/kWh and during the day can run as high as 55 cents. Therefore charging it during the day for a top off is quite expensive. So we only charge from 12-6am when the rates are a more reasonable 10 cents/kWh.

Last edited:
Back