Ceramic coating - should I?

smead

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT - Grey/Mojave/19"
Ok - I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to 'additional care' on a car. I've always just took my car to the automatic car wash when I wanted it cleaned. Now that I have a car that is not recommended to go through one of those, I'm wondering how to best keep it clean. I've never had a car ceramic coated. Is that a good way to go? I'm sure I'll still need to wash it, but I understand that it is much easier to clean with power washer. True? Any other recommendations I should consider to minimize my cleaning efforts?

I've only needed to wash mine a couple of times in 5 months. It was more of an issue in spring with the pollen. I use the no rinse soap, one wet cleaning cloth and 4 drying cloths to do the whole car. It is super easy and seems to keep the car clean for quite awhile. I didn't put any coating on it.

Ok - I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to 'additional care' on a car. I've always just took my car to the automatic car wash when I wanted it cleaned. Now that I have a car that is not recommended to go through one of those, I'm wondering how to best keep it clean. I've never had a car ceramic coated. Is that a good way to go? I'm sure I'll still need to wash it, but I understand that it is much easier to clean with power washer. True? Any other recommendations I should consider to minimize my cleaning efforts?
If you ceramic coat your car and use deionized water like some of our other members, you could hypothetically just rinse your car and drive it to air dry with no water spots and it will look like it's been freshly detailed.

If you ceramic coat your car and use deionized water like some of our other members, you could hypothetically just rinse your car and drive it to air dry with no water spots and it will look like it's been freshly detailed.
I like the sound of that! (hypothetically...) :)

Oh ceramic coating is also supposedly to help with fading color from UV damage as well

I've only needed to wash mine a couple of times in 5 months. It was more of an issue in spring with the pollen. I use the no rinse soap, one wet cleaning cloth and 4 drying cloths to do the whole car. It is super easy and seems to keep the car clean for quite awhile. I didn't put any coating on it.
What no rinse soap do you use? You probably already mentioned it but I forgot.

ceramic coating helps prevent tar, bug jerky, tree sap from being a real problem with your paint. They will (typically) just wash right off with soap. Water will bead on the car like it was freshly waxed. You will want to use microfiber cloths to prevent "swirling" light scratchmarks on the surface. But it makes car clean up much easier. You can add a foam washer + air compressor to power clean your car and it is much easier.

ceramic coating helps prevent tar, bug jerky, tree sap from being a real problem with your paint. They will (typically) just wash right off with soap. Water will bead on the car like it was freshly waxed. You will want to use microfiber cloths to prevent "swirling" light scratchmarks on the surface. But it makes car clean up much easier. You can add a foam washer + air compressor to power clean your car and it is much easier.
Professionally applied Opti-Coat Pro helps to prevent etching in the clear coat, or at least that has been my experience. I plan to have my AGT done by the same shop as my other cars. It also makes it easier to wash the car, which I do at automated car wash places. As mentioned, use good microfiber towels. I also have recently found, based on some posts on this forum, that the Adams products, especially the Graphene ceramic coating, work very well and are easy to use.

Professionally applied Opti-Coat Pro helps to prevent etching in the clear coat, or at least that has been my experience. I plan to have my AGT done by the same shop as my other cars. It also makes it easier to wash the car, which I do at automated car wash places. As mentioned, use good microfiber towels. I also have recently found, based on some posts on this forum, that the Adams products, especially the Graphene ceramic coating, work very well and are easy to use.
I’d add that the Adams Graphene ceramic spray bottle works well but you need optimum conditions and a couple hours of time to self apply and cure without interruption. I have a couple small “high spots” from it but not bad. If you want the Adam’s 7 year Graphene concentrated bottle I’d have a pro apply it. I’m going to apply their glass coating though and I’ll report back, looks easier.

I’d add that the Adams Graphene ceramic spray bottle works well but you need optimum conditions and a couple hours of time to self apply and cure without interruption. I have a couple small “high spots” from it but not bad. If you want the Adam’s 7 year Graphene concentrated bottle I’d have a pro apply it. I’m going to apply their glass coating though and I’ll report back, looks easier.
There is an Adams YouTube that addresses graphene high spot removal. I had a couple of high spots and Adams Polish gently hand applied removed them easily.

There is an Adams YouTube that addresses graphene high spot removal. I had a couple of high spots and Adams Polish gently hand applied removed them easily.
Yep that’s exactly what I did. One high spot did not come off with their polish but the others came off fine, I did it with the white pad.

Here’s a great example of the Adams Graphene in action, just had a rain storm, everything just beads up and gets wiped off with a towel easy
E86935ED-9D37-49E8-BE8B-9C1230EAA171.jpeg

Griot's has a nice ceramic sprint wax that really brings out the color and clear coat gloss, its good for a quick wipe down after a wash that I really like that takes out any water spots. Not as good as a ceramic coating but its quick and easy to use on the fly.

Out of curiosity, what is a reasonable price for a full body ceramic treatment (minus the wheels)? I realize there will be regional price differences (looking at you, CA :)) but I have no idea whether it's typically a $500 job, a $2K job, or a $5K job.

Thanks, everyone!

Out of curiosity, what is a reasonable price for a full body ceramic treatment (minus the wheels)? I realize there will be regional price differences (looking at you, CA :)) but I have no idea whether it's typically a $500 job, a $2K job, or a $5K job.

Thanks, everyone!
Should be roughly 2k for the good stuff. Opticoat, ceramic pro, etc

Thank you for that recommendation! I used it, 1oz in 1 gallon, used 5 soaked microfiber towels to wash the car, then 3 drying towels to dry it and it looks fantastic. It’s a great option for those washes you need to do in between the heavier duty washes if the car isn’t super filthy. Now I’ll probably just do the foam cannon/pressure washer wash once every 6 weeks or so and do the Rinseless every 2, saves time and is easier.

Back