CarPlay is here! - Megathread

Your comparison is off.

It would be more like posting to Twitter “Sorry, I’m going to be late to this media event because my wife has massive diarrhea and has locked herself in the bathroom.”

See how well the two of you get along after that public statement.
You have made lots of excellent posts, but this is not one of them. 😂

Just a hypothetical: suppose it really is being held up by Apple being slow, just for the sake of argument. Lucid can't exactly issue a press release saying "Apple is holding us up, go talk to them" without risking their entire relationship with Apple, can they?
My issue is communication, not whether CarPlay is coming this Friday. It is a sad state where we have to make jokes like this due to no communication. They stated dates in the public, did not make those dates and are now silent. It isn't too dissimilar to what they did with the Grey color, offered it on their website as an option, then had issues delivering, communicated various things to us along the way and then went silent for stretches. The "why" isn't as important to me. Just acknowledge the delay and what your new timeline is that you are hoping to make.

I also think they need to be more forthright on the website, get rid of the vagueness of "compatible" and just say that they hope to have CarPlay and Android Auto (or whatever it is) soon. Even reading "compatible" entirely in Lucid's favor, at some point "compatible" times out.

I know how customers react to a delayed flight. Agents just post that your flight was delayed one hour and are silent as to the reason. Three hours later, they have not updated the estimate or told you why you have the delay. Lots of pissed of customers at this point. You finally board the flight and the pilot comes on and tells you "sorry, there was a series of thunderstorms and pop-up thunderstorms that resulted in ground delays, etc.". You then turn to your spouse and ask "why didn't the gate agents just say there was weather in the area and we will give you an update when we get an update, but based on the current weather, we are hoping for two hours".

So, in your hypothetical, was Lucid violating the NDA when they announced CarPlay by the end of 2022? Do you think it would really be that difficult for Lucid to get Apple’s approval to make an announcement about the amended delivery timeframe? Probably not, unless there was a serious problem.

Try that at home. “Honey, I would love to tell you what time I’ll be home and where I am tonight, but I’m under an NDA and it’s in all of our best interest if I don’t tell you”. If we don’t accept that kind of communication with the ones we love, why would we blindly accept it of a corporation who promised something, hasn’t delivered and hasn’t provided an update or reason why.
NDA agreements can be quite specific. It's indeed possible that Apple requires or "strongly suggests" that their CarPlay partners do not post anything that portrays Apple in a negative light. They guard their reputation and IP very closely. Remember, Apple could buy and crush Lucid with loose change it finds in the couch cushions.

NDA reason, issue with Apple, Software Engineer responsible for CarPlay locked in the bathroom with explosive diarrhea, dog ate my homework: all speculation. Bottom line, what is the new target date since the previously stated dates were obviously not met? Don't care what the reason is.

That way, we can quit talking about it until then.

NDA agreements can be quite specific. It's indeed possible that Apple requires or "strongly suggests" that their CarPlay partners do not post anything that portrays Apple in a negative light. They guard their reputation and IP very closely. Remember, Apple could buy and crush Lucid with loose change it finds in the couch cushions.
I 100% agree. All I’m saying is that it would not be too difficult to get Apple to agree to a statement, unless all hell is breaking loose. When there is silence, humans will always fill it with negative assumptions.

If Lucid was strong in their communication on their other developments, I would be very willing to provide the benefit of the doubt. They absolutely need to improve their communication and will get a lot more support from their customers if they make the effort.

My issue is communication, not whether CarPlay is coming this Friday. It is a sad state where we have to make jokes like this due to no communication. They stated dates in the public, did not make those dates and are now silent. It isn't too dissimilar to what they did with the Grey color, offered it on their website as an option, then had issues delivering, communicated various things to us along the way and then went silent for stretches. The "why" isn't as important to me. Just acknowledge the delay and what your new timeline is that you are hoping to make.

I also think they need to be more forthright on the website, get rid of the vagueness of "compatible" and just say that they hope to have CarPlay and Android Auto (or whatever it is) soon. Even reading "compatible" entirely in Lucid's favor, at some point "compatible" times out.

I know how customers react to a delayed flight. Agents just post that your flight was delayed one hour and are silent as to the reason. Three hours later, they have not updated the estimate or told you why you have the delay. Lots of pissed of customers at this point. You finally board the flight and the pilot comes on and tells you "sorry, there was a series of thunderstorms and pop-up thunderstorms that resulted in ground delays, etc.". You then turn to your spouse and ask "why didn't the gate agents just say there was weather in the area and we will give you an update when we get an update, but based on the current weather, we are hoping for two hours".
I do believe there is a way to make a public statement without revealing the nature of the holdup, if that holdup is indeed Apple.

They probably should consider this. Just something along the lines of "We planned to have CarPlay released by the end of 2022, but unexpected delays have caused us to hold off on release at this time. We hope to finish this much-anticipated feature soon and are anxious to get it into customers' hands as soon as possible."

Still vague, but at least it would be something.

I think there are folks at Lucid who assume this sort of statement is implied, and thus unnecessary to make. Or, they fear articles with the headline "Lucid delays CarPlay—again." Depending on how much longer we're looking at for release, they may reconsider their position on this.

NDA reason, issue with Apple, Software Engineer responsible for CarPlay locked in the bathroom with explosive diarrhea, dog ate my homework: all speculation. Bottom line, what is the new target date since the previously stated dates were obviously not met? Don't care what the reason is.

That way, we can quit talking about it until then.
You can't present another target date when that date is out of your hands. If you pull a date out of your butt, you are bound to get burnt by it. After all, saying it would be done "by end of the year" is what got them in this pickle in the first place.

Gravity🍎November♍

🙏🛐☸️✡️✝️☮️🙏

I do believe there is a way to make a public statement without revealing the nature of the holdup, if that holdup is indeed Apple.

They probably should consider this. Just something along the lines of "We planned to have CarPlay released by the end of 2022, but unexpected delays have caused us to hold off on release at this time. We hope to finish this much-anticipated feature soon and are anxious to get it into customers' hands as soon as possible."

Still vague, but at least it would be something.

I think there are folks at Lucid who assume this sort of statement is implied, and thus unnecessary to make. Or, they fear articles with the headline "Lucid delays CarPlay—again." Depending on how much longer we're looking at for release, they may reconsider their position on this.
This would be better than no communication. As it is right now, nobody really can say with any certainty that we are getting it. While I think we would all prefer an amended timeline, a simple acknowledgment would confirm that it’s even still in the works.

In addition to the business risk that @borski points out, there may be an NDA between Apple and Lucid that forbids Lucid from disclosing this type of information.
Honestly, they dont even need to be specific. They could announce some hand wavy customer KPI goal on CarPlay just noting they’ve hit a few snags. It would be better than lack of any communication. I wouldn’t expect them to play a blame game or specify the issue. I would expect them to acknowledge they’ve missed a deadline and re-align expectations.

It’s already Friday in Central time.

Back