Car and Driver: Tested: 2026 Lucid Gravity Is a Successful Second Act

I don’t know. I still think you live on top of a bunch of magnets and we should mine them to solve the magnet supply crisis 🤷‍♂️

See, I just secretly think it's a Florida thing. 🤣
 
Lots of potential reasons. Multiple suppliers that build “the same” part, but that differ in some “seemingly unimportant” way. Think generic drugs vs brand drugs.

Software is what glues everything together, but the individual components may be different across cars; I don’t know. Or a component may not perform to spec. Or a wire is pinched or loose.

Lots of issues can present as “the screens are blank” or “my key doesn’t work” which would feel like software but might not be.

I’m guessing that hardware differences and/or physical issues may be just as likely a cause. Just a guess though.

To be clear: that doesn’t mean it isn’t software. At the end of the day, the “glue” can mitigate for most issues with communication or components; but they have to run into or find the bug before they mitigate for it. So the solution may still be software (except for a pinched wire or loose connection, etc), but the cause may be hardware.

I hope I made sense. It’s early :p
Right. There's really 2 types of bugs that I'd categorize most are reporting:
  1. Bugs in the hardware/build/manufacturing that are shown, and/or blamed on software (e.g., keyfob detection, component error notifications, etc.)
  2. Bugs in the software and interface (e.g., map spinning around, @hmp10's music and profile issues)
With (1), there will always be some hardware variance, either by manufacturer or via the build process itself. Software can solve for some of it, but something like a pinched cable or loose wires or radio issues making key detection flakey, that's either a SC visit or lots of firmware and software patches. To give credit to Lucid, it seems like they've been focused more on this category of issues.

With (2), that's more on the software eng. team needing to squish their bugs and mature their software overall. A bunch of this stuff seems pretty simple/straightforward (e.g., scheduled charge bug, seat adjustments/massaging not working through the touchscreen, music selection issues), but it's likely just prioritized after the hardware stuff settles down first.
 
Maybe our software engineers can answer that. Does having certain settings make it more likely you may have bugs?
That depends on how thoroughly the testers did their jobs… Did the options all get tested or only most common ones. Lots of combos and permutations.
 
Back
Top