Car and Driver Tested: 2023 Lucid Air Touring Hits the Sweet Spot

Nice review. I guess they did not face any software issue

Nice review. I guess they did not face any software issue
Actually, in my opinion Lucid has done a pretty good job with the software lately. I have seen much less posts on this board, except the cameras and audio bugs that are being addressed already. I’m looking forward to the next release!

except the cameras and audio bugs that are being addressed already
Are they being addressed though? I’m yet to see any improvement nor any communication from Lucid that it’s being addressed.

The cameras improved in the early 2.0 updates but have progressively gotten worse with each OTA that followed. I’m not the only one noticing this also…..

Are they being addressed though? I’m yet to see any improvement nor any communication from Lucid that it’s being addressed.

The cameras improved in the early 2.0 updates but have progressively gotten worse with each OTA that followed. I’m not the only one noticing this also…..
I have no doubt that some people are seeing more problems than I am with recent software. I see the backup camera issue about once a week and have encountered the not being able to select drive or reverse once. However, the vast majority of my drives are completely flawless.

100% agree. I’m hoping this gets fixed soon although I only experience it occasionally.

I am encountering issues and so as lot of others. End of the day it’s beautiful car and enjoying the drive. Touch wood, I have not faced some of the serious issues others faced.

Nice review and thanks for posting. Does the range they experienced seem about right. Curious if they were driving in colder weather?

Interesting that C&D opined that buyers should skip the DD Pro.
Because it’s based on a bunch of promises. Based on what’s available with it today one would have to question whether Highway Assist is worth $10K compared to its competitors who offer that at half the cost.

Given Lucid’s software troubles I think we’ll be waiting quite a while to see Highway Pilot and any other advanced features.

They discovered the same thing as @Bobby on their 75 mile range test, that it is very speed dependent. At least spending less time with EA chargers will be the benefit of keeping it below 70!

Given Lucid’s software troubles I think we’ll be waiting quite a while to see Highway Pilot and any other advanced features.
I’m not convinced of that, actually, given that Highway Assist is among the best systems I’ve ever used. Whatever Lucid’s software woes are, their lane keeping and piloting systems seem to work extremely well.

I’m not convinced of that, actually, given that Highway Assist is among the best systems I’ve ever used. Whatever Lucid’s software woes are, their lane keeping and piloting systems seem to work extremely well.
Does their system also pass cars on freeways with Highway Assist or do you have disable it to pass a car every time? Just curious, as pass assist is extremely helpful on freeway/trips and not having to disengage just to pass.

Does their system also pass cars on freeways with Highway Assist or do you have disable it to pass a car every time? Just curious, as pass assist is extremely helpful on freeway/trips and not having to disengage just to pass.
Currently there is no automated passing function.

Good review with a balance of feedback along with highlighted positives.

You don’t have to disengage it; you just hit the turn signal, wait a few clicks, make the lane change, and it automatically restarts as soon as you’re going straight again. You don’t have to “reactivate” it manually or anything, but you do have to perform the lane change yourself.

You don’t have to disengage it; you just hit the turn signal, wait a few clicks, make the lane change, and it automatically restarts as soon as you’re going straight again. You don’t have to “reactivate” it manually or anything, but you do have to perform the lane change yourself.

Oh...the horrors. We would actually have to drive the car! When I would rather have the car do a lane change on a highway (rather slowly and after leaving way too much room) than do it myself) I think it will be time for me to be a full time Uber user.
An advantage of this, BTW, is that maybe folks will start using, and using properly, their turn signals. Drives me nuts. I can be waiting to make a right turn onto a road and car is coming down the road from my left with no turn signal on. 20 seconds later, as he reaches the corner, he uselessly turns on his turn signal.

Oh...the horrors. We would actually have to drive the car! When I would rather have the car do a lane change on a highway (rather slowly and after leaving way too much room) than do it myself) I think it will be time for me to be a full time Uber user.
An advantage of this, BTW, is that maybe folks will start using, and using properly, their turn signals. Drives me nuts. I can be waiting to make a right turn onto a road and car is coming down the road from my left with no turn signal on. 20 seconds later, as he reaches the corner, he uselessly turns on his turn signal.
Hey, in New Hampshire using turn signals is basically against the law from my experience driving there 🤷‍♂️

In NY turn signals are really “not cool”. The other drivers expect you to have telepathy. ROTFL.

I used the Adaptive Cruise on a long road trip and was really impressed compared to the legacy cruise control I was accustomed to. The speed adjustment for cars in front of you is not even noticeable.

Adaptive cruise control has been around for so long that it is pretty much a stable product from every manufacturer. Probably the biggest differences are how the car company decides to reduce or raise speed, whether it will retain a default other than farthest distance (one really needs closest or one will spend the time on the road being passed by cars that then jump into the space) and its restart algorithms. To me, the biggest and most important is retaining the setting. My old BMW 5 series would not so I had to code it.

Back