Cannonball Run ?

Cosmo Cruz

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
2022 Air GT: Cos/Cruz
DE Number
anyone thinking about it ? there has to be a bunch of guys planning one. i'd do it if i weren't married.
i'm thinking of the logistics ... charger to charger.... battery stashes in the dry areas ...
would it be legal to run with a "tanker" car with a huge battery to feed/fuel you non-stop ?

anyone thinking about it ? there has to be a bunch of guys planning one. i'd do it if i weren't married.
i'm thinking of the logistics ... charger to charger.... battery stashes in the dry areas ...
would it be legal to run with a "tanker" car with a huge battery to feed/fuel you non-stop ?
When I was a freshman in college, 1969, we built an electric car out of a Volkswagen hatchback and an electric motor that I believe was from a 727. It used lead acid batteries and range was terrible, but it was fast. We ran it in a race from MIT to CalTech and had a U-Haul truck following us with a generator and spare battery packs!

When I was a freshman in college, 1969, we built an electric car out of a Volkswagen hatchback and an electric motor that I believe was from a 727. It used lead acid batteries and range was terrible, but it was fast. We ran it in a race from MIT to CalTech and had a U-Haul truck following us with a generator and spare battery packs!
Where did you go to school?

Same boat. I would fully expect Out of Spec to do one with the Lucid to see if it bests the Taycan.

This is amazing. I don't support racing on public roads. The child me is fascinated.

Wondering about strategy: do you hyper-mill to reduce charging stops or go AFAP ? You'd need to send out scouts to find the working/fasted chargers on route... maybe place-holders to make sure you have an open bay... Modified cars that have been stripped to make room for more batteries... this could be .... i say this will be interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the last few Cannonballers and what they needed to do to beat standing records. Reading was better but I know short attention spans so here's a sample video:
E63
Hertz still renting Shelby GT350s ?
iu

I mean, would someone consider air-to-air refueling? Would you drive the tanker car tethered with a 900v DC cable, at 100 mph on the interstate?
iu

This is a very bad idea.
Can't have the first Cannonballer catastrophy be an EV.
I'm way against it
(although the planning fascinates me)

It's a balance between velocity and charging speed. And lots of help from friends.
Here's Kyles previous run, made in a Taycan.

I’m psyched to watch this. A steady 80mph on 19” will get you 3.5 mi/kWh, so he must have been cooking it! The rate limiting step is EA reduced power everywhere. To make it fair against when he did the Taycan (which absolutely crushed the charging partly because EA was better then), he’d have to pick non-signet units as those seem to be the ones currently doing the YoYo and power limiting the most.

I forgot, they had massive problems with EA for a lot of the trip and it was pretty cold out, but EA still has issues. I think they’ll crush the record though.

Also very true. He was super complimentary of the car, moreso than ever before.

Also very true. He was super complimentary of the car, moreso than ever before.
Except he hates the steering wheel, thinks it's not as sporty as the Taycan, wants more adjustability in drive modes, but is much more comfortable especially in the rear.

Except he hates the steering wheel, thinks it's not as sporty as the Taycan, wants more adjustability in drive modes, but is much more comfortable especially in the rear.
Everyone’s got opinions :)

(I also want more adjustability in drive modes and would love a thinner steering wheel - the Sapphire steering wheel is perfect)

Yeah even with those few things he seemed to really love the car.

Everyone’s got opinions :)

(I also want more adjustability in drive modes and would love a thinner steering wheel - the Sapphire steering wheel is perfect)
When its released(sapphire) you could probably swap it out.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched the whole video so I dont know the out come.

I wonder if they did the calculations to really squeeze range out of the Lucid vs Speed and charging stops. At 70mph the Lucid will seriously deliver on the range to reduce charging stops but perhaps that gives up too much time over lots of charging stops with top ups from low percentages?

Disclaimer: I haven't watched the whole video so I dont know the out come.

I wonder if they did the calculations to really squeeze range out of the Lucid vs Speed and charging stops. At 70mph the Lucid will seriously deliver on the range to reduce charging stops but perhaps that gives up too much time over lots of charging stops with top ups from low percentages?
If the stations worked as intended, high speed with bottoming out of the battery is the way to go. Charging is typically faster than usage rates.

Back