Can anyone compare DDPremium vs. Tesla Autopilot (not FSD)?

In speaking to my SA today, he informed me that DDPremium and DDPro have different hardware installed, so you can’t “upgrade” your care from Premium to Pro down the line as the Premium version doesn’t include LIDAR.

Having closely watched the development of Tesla FSD, I’m not really concerned about buying the future promise of a Self-Driving technology, especially on a short-term lease where the lease will likely be quite close to expiration before the tech is really useful. But I was wondering if someone could compare how DD Premium works compared to Tesla Autopilot (not FSD).

When I’m on Tesla Autopilot the car obviously keeps distance and centers in the lane on the highway. When I want to change lanes I either need to disengage AP with the stalk or override the controls with steering input (or brakes). Overriding the steering is always a little bit jerky and you can’t really do it smoothly as the car always slows significantly when AP is disengaged. You can try to pre-load the accelerator pedal a bit to prevent the lurch but I haven’t gotten it to the point where it’s as smooth as if I were driving manually.

I know DDPremium doesn’t do auto lane-changes, which I’m fine with since Tesla FSD already rarely makes the decisions I would make in lane selection. Will it do car-controlled lane changes with a turn signal or does it need to be disengaged to change lanes? If so, how smoothly can you change lanes manually while DDPremium is engaged? Is it similar to Autopilot?
Picked up my GGT on Sept 30th. I have all the options except the HUD. To be honest, I think Dream Drive Pro is better than Tesla's FSD basic package. The hardware is in place on the Lucid for FSD when they roll out that software. But in the DDP configuration, you get auto steer, auto lane change, auto emergency braking, and adaptive cruise control. You do not get auto lane change with the Tesla FSD basic package. Like you said, you have to disengage and I have always hated that with my Model X. Now it's not a problem. I've driven it on four 6+ hour trips and the Dream Drive Pro has performed flawlessly. It behaves like Tesla's EXCEPT, it's not a whimp when it comes to slowing down behind traffic, then auto lane changing and at that point, it speeds up quickly to the set speed. My Tesla X putts.......won't speed up.....waits a long time before it decides that it is clear ahead and begins to go up to speed. I have no doubt that Dream Drive Pro will achieve the FSD characteristics of Tesla's full multi-thousand dollar add on package.
 

Attachments

  • tempImageZ3vCHW.webp
    tempImageZ3vCHW.webp
    1,018.7 KB · Views: 139
  • tempImage6dcojD.webp
    tempImage6dcojD.webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 124
Yes, it's smooth and easy.

I have an early GT with Pro - I'm not sure of the capabilities of the Premium ADAS option

The car does not suggest or automatically initiate lane changes. That's up to you. When you want to change lanes, you tap or hold the blinker. The car will then change lanes when it's safe to do so.
Actually, the Gravity does suggest lane changes. It moves over making a bigger gap in your lane for trucks etc., but you have to initiate the automated lane change.
 
Picked up my GGT on Sept 30th. I have all the options except the HUD. To be honest, I think Dream Drive Pro is better than Tesla's FSD basic package. The hardware is in place on the Lucid for FSD when they roll out that software. But in the DDP configuration, you get auto steer, auto lane change, auto emergency braking, and adaptive cruise control. You do not get auto lane change with the Tesla FSD basic package. Like you said, you have to disengage and I have always hated that with my Model X. Now it's not a problem. I've driven it on four 6+ hour trips and the Dream Drive Pro has performed flawlessly. It behaves like Tesla's EXCEPT, it's not a whimp when it comes to slowing down behind traffic, then auto lane changing and at that point, it speeds up quickly to the set speed. My Tesla X putts.......won't speed up.....waits a long time before it decides that it is clear ahead and begins to go up to speed. I have no doubt that Dream Drive Pro will achieve the FSD characteristics of Tesla's full multi-thousand dollar add on package.
Yes. I think our experiences align well. Dream Drive 2 Premium is vastly superior to Tesla Autopilot. Of the tasks where DD2 Premium and FSD do overlap, I prefer the implementation of DD2 Premium.

Of course FSD does MANY more things than that but I've tested those functions in the past in my Teslas and I'm not comfortable relying on them now anyway. So it's not a loss for me, but it might be for people who really like the extra functions of FSD.

My 2016 Model X (I think with Mobileye rather than Tesla FSD) nearly drove me into a gore crash barrier where a highway split into two tunnels and the old lane markings were still visible. It waited until I was about 5 seconds away from impact and then steered hard into the middle.

On my 2017 Model 3 and 2020 Model Y I find AP to be what we've discussed here. But the newest FSD hardware suite we have is 3.0. FSD11 on Model Y tried to do so many illegal and dangerous things that I haven't bothered since then since my hardware suite is mostly deprecated on the FSD branch now anyway. Maybe if they get FSD14 Lite to work on HW3 cars I'll give it another rent.

I'm happy with the performance and features of Dream Drive 2 Premium. For me it's the perfect balance. I like to execute all the driving maneuvers myself anyway rather than rely on the driving style of the driver assistant system. So integrating my own driving with DD2 Premium has been a great experience. Now if the rest of the car and stop bugging out I'll be supremely satisified.
 
(mostly) Tesla YouTuber, Gjeebs posted this the other day. He unfortunately didn't have a Gravity for the comparison (with the latest Nvidia hardware). Nor did he seem entirely familiar with Lucid DD.

Make of it what you will.

 
Back
Top