California is Getting a Charging Upgrade

We were in Orange County last week, during the heatwave, and decided to take an ICE to avoid adding more stress to the grid.
Was painful at the gas station, though.
When we got back, I learned from my news network that a major hospital in San Jose actually had an outage.
Would have felt a bit guilty if we'd driven an EV for that trip.
I wouldn't because I overheard some parents talking while waiting to pick my kids up...

How can Edison ask us to keep.our house at 78 degrees? That's torture for me...I set the thermostat to 69...do they think we are animals?

Yea..78 is crazy hot, I set my thermostat to 72 and never let it get hotter than that.

As we are all standing in 103 degree weather waiting for our kids...

We were in Orange County last week, during the heatwave, and decided to take an ICE to avoid adding more stress to the grid.
Was painful at the gas station, though.
When we got back, I learned from my news network that a major hospital in San Jose actually had an outage.
Would have felt a bit guilty if we'd driven an EV for that trip.
You do realize that EA uses Tesla batteries to store energy? They top them up when the rates are cheap in order to not pay through the roof when the network is under strain / peak time. I wouldn’t be too worried about using public EV infrastructure during flex alerts…….

I wouldn't because I overheard some parents talking while waiting to pick my kids up...

How can Edison ask us to keep.our house at 78 degrees? That's torture for me...I set the thermostat to 69...do they think we are animals?

Yea..78 is crazy hot, I set my thermostat to 72 and never let it get hotter than that.

A fun fact I learned last week. Setting the AC to 78 keeps the house feeling much cooler than expected when it is over 110° out.

A fun fact I learned last week. Setting the AC to 78 keeps the house feeling much cooler than expected when it is over 110° out.
Yea and keeping it cool early helps the AC as well and takes less energy!

I will charge my car anytime I need to. I will keep my thermostat at any temperature I desire. I will cook my food using electricity anytime I am hungry. I really don’t give a s**t about the flex alerts. CA just needs to fix its electric grid so that there is power when one needs it. Good Lord, we are a third-world nation-state here.

For reference, I have had solar since 2004 and an EV since 2018 - for economics only, not for any other reason. Want to upgrade to a battery to do energy arbitrage once CA will allow it as they need to stabilize their grid and when EVs make peak time from 12-6a.

You do realize that EA uses Tesla batteries to store energy? They top them up when the rates are cheap in order to not pay through the roof when the network is under strain / peak time. I wouldn’t be too worried about using public EV infrastructure during flex alerts…….
No, I didn't know about this.
Assuming this is the case for the industry, it's interesting that there's variable cost based on the time of the day.

Well, it's a matter of perspectives.
I'd rejoice for a 78F summer day in our area.

No, I didn't know about this.
Assuming this is the case for the industry, it's interesting that there's variable cost based on the time of the day.
I think EA learnt the hard way when they got their first electricity bill 😂

Shortly after they started deploying they partnered with Tesla to add battery packs to the sites.

A cop I ran into at a Starbucks saw the Lucid and started lecturing me about how shitty California is and how you can’t charge your EV cuz of the grid and how his firefighter buddies told him EV fires are super dangerous and hard to put out. But then he said “hey but that’s still a really sharp looking car!” and walked away. This was in Rhode Island. So yeah @LucidDropkick you’re right, I’ll give you one guess which news source he probably goes to. It’s stupid and there’s a big uphill battle in this country to get people to not just gobble up misinformation like candy.

Anyone hear of an update on Lucid V2H? If everything goes to plan we are going to use Lucid V2H for things we'd need when we are at home. Then use a battery back-up system from Kohler to cover essential circuits.

I will charge my car anytime I need to. I will keep my thermostat at any temperature I desire. I will cook my food using electricity anytime I am hungry. I really don’t give a s**t about the flex alerts. CA just needs to fix its electric grid so that there is power when one needs it. Good Lord, we are a third-world nation-state here.

For reference, I have had solar since 2004 and an EV since 2018 - for economics only, not for any other reason. Want to upgrade to a battery to do energy arbitrage once CA will allow it as they need to stabilize their grid and when EVs make peak time from 12-6a.
We aren't even remotely a 3rd world stste, but hey, if it strokes your ego to be selfish when the stste asks us to work together for the betterment of all, umm, good for you? Do you also water your lawn as much as you like? I've no doubt you normslly.charge off pesk, so your statememt is ridiculous anyway. Also, they never asked us not to cook.

Lol are all the DCFC that don't meet Electrify America stations that don't have 97% uptime? 🤣
It's worse than that - the "small fraction" doesn't even include the uptime criteria - only spacing along highway, power level, distance from highway.

I’m also not sure if the cable is long enough to reach the Lucid charging port
My read is that existing locations are getting expanded and the added chargers will be dual Tesla/CCS. Based on that I assume they will be the new v4 versions which seem to have longer cables. If that’s the case I think they will easily reach.

Back