Brief review of latest OTA and long road trips

Demosthenes

Reaction score
This is old news by now but I just haven’t gotten around to commenting - sorry if this topic is repetitive. I find that the latest OTA update has advanced HA to the point where long road trips have become quite easy and pleasurable (especially compared to pre-HA or early HA days).

The biggest improvement has been in lane keeping. Prior to the latest update, lane keeping with HA was questionable at best - any speed over 65 mph and any road curvature more acute than a gentle bend would generally overcome HA and require manual override. But in my most recent 2000 mile round trips between San Diego and Vancouver, the HA lane keeping is solid at 75-80mph and all but the twistiest of roads.

Lane change assist is surprisingly useful as well as natural/accurate. In general, the assist changes lanes pretty much exactly like I would. It’s ability to time the change for when it’s safe and clear to do so is pretty good, although not perfect - in my experience, it does seem to ‘time out’ fairly quickly if no open lane presents itself shortly after activation.

Combined with all the other previous improvements to HA and native nav plus CarPlay, going on ‘grand tours’ in the AGT is a pretty great experience now.

Back