Boston Globe on the Lucid Seaport studio

Yeah, it’s kind of a weird article. Like it was written while sleeping. And the comments reflect that.

“Reporting” has not been a profession for years. No fact checking, misspelled words and punctuation and a lack of knowledge of the English language. One of our local tv stations consistently has misspelled words on their screen and the reporters mispronounce street names that have been in existence for over 100 years….

100%. Very superficial as if the journalist needed to stretch the sentence, “look there’s a lucid studio!” into a 1000 word article. But I guess the intention was never an in depth review anyways

“Reporting” has not been a profession for years. No fact checking, misspelled words and punctuation and a lack of knowledge of the English language. One of our local tv stations consistently has misspelled words on their screen and the reporters mispronounce street names that have been in existence for over 100 years….
Aggh....this bothers me too. I used to listen to BBC...they used to be the standard for proper English usage and pronounciation. Then one day they stopped. Now they speak like Amerikans: confusing even the basic things like fewer and lesser. I can't stand to listen to this abuse on the venerable BBC. Have you noticed the deterioration on NPR as well? They go all in on the fair and balanced sell but they are just as biased as everyone else, but more evil because they don't see it, or don't think it's a thing. Like every commercial station they cater to what they think will bring the listeners back...and that corrupts them.

I love newspapers. The Inky has downsized so much...literally in length and width as well as pages...that it is little more than one of those supermarket coupon fliers you get with your mail. USA today has more Philly local news and Harrisburg news. I pay extra for weekly home delivery....it's entirely random but we usually get one or two papers/wk., and it could be any time of day. Yes I get the digital versions...but that is an entirely different experience and not at all what I want. I wanted to quit but the wife says the Times does not have comics. That is the first thing she reads. She likes the suduko and I like the crossword puzzles...with my Peets...by 6 am if not sooner. I know a reporter for the Inky who writes the science bits (thanks Tom) and he is excellent...there are a bunch of staff reporters that are very very good, but most of the Inky now is AP + the Post reprints. I can just read the Post on line, but I used to love reading the local beat reporters: about the corruption in city politics and the murderous police we have. We had some brilliant columnists (Steve Lopez)...now that I think of it we still do (Trudy, Will, ... ). I can't read the Inky on line at all -- you can't tell where you are, what's on the page, it's very hard to read at all unless you blow it up which makes it nothing like the newspaper experience.
They just changed the digital format, again, and now I don't even try to use it...I think they think if they make it appealing to "young people", by mucking-up the traditional newspaper format for a web-page format, they will get more subscribers? No...your audience is exclusively 60+. So they stopped home delivery and made it hard for old eyes to read. The industry is doomed.

I gave up NPR when I kept hearing: " ... very unique ..." WTF? Unique literally means ONE ! What is very ONE ?

Yes. When the BBC gave up using standard English...that was the moment I reasized human society is doomed.

Last edited:
Back