BMW Heated Seats Subscription Costs $18 Per Month

Remember that Tesla is already on this path with subscription FSD, and Mercedes floated a plan to charge a subscription fee for 10-degree rear wheel steering in the EQS instead of the standard 4-degree. They had to back down in the face of public outrage.

But automakers are going to keep pressing against the gate until one of them finally breaks the lock, and then will begin the process of subscription features becoming the norm. I suspect this is one of the reasons that automakers are putting more and more car controls into software and abandoning conventional switches to engage features.

We oldsters remember when one of the selling features of cable TV was that by paying monthly fees you were spared commercials. Cable news is now more ad time than news time. And when we ask Alexa for music in our Lucid, we sometimes have to sit through an Amazon Music ad. It's brief and infrequent right now -- but that will change.

From a Model 3 Dual Motor:
9622AD4A-3F2E-481D-8448-DA2AAFEB5C79.jpeg

It’s going to be like the Airline industry. Although someone will be like Southwest and say “bags drive free.” We never charge to use the frunk!

Yeah. BMW has been talking about putting almost all the options in every car they manufacture but then selling or renting the use of the options separately. I think the parts shortage has at least temporarily halted the full plan.

It’s not just heated seats either. Monthly subscriptions for auto high beams, adaptive cruise in some markets.

One time charges for map updates.

Attachments

• 5F56DBF7-2693-45C6-AA7E-20DB8CACA19A.jpeg
    5F56DBF7-2693-45C6-AA7E-20DB8CACA19A.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Wow
Reactions: Joe
I am unaware of any monthly subs from Lucid now or in the future. Does anyone know of any ?

I am unaware of any monthly subs from Lucid now or in the future. Does anyone know of any ?
Maybe on the Pure you could see something but not sure. It would basically mean that Lucid has to put all the hardware and accessories in the car and bank on people actually wanting to subscribe so could cost more to install than the potential return. We already know that Dream Drive Pro needs to be added at the time of purchase or you can't get it later so I don't see Lucid adopting this model.

Only Tidal app, and that’s not a Lucid charge.

It’s not just heated seats either. Monthly subscriptions for auto high beams, adaptive cruise in some markets.

One time charges for map updates.
I honestly don’t understand why would high beam usage or speaker usage have to be in subscription model. BMW choose to supply them, but you get to choose certain season to not subscribe, or cease subscription during vacation time? It doesn’t make business sense just as that new monkey butts radiator grill on EV design.

At least...not yet.

Don't think so. The heated seats that I ordered for my wife's 2023 BMW i4M50 is part of the $1,700 Premium Package. This package includes heated steering wheel, heated front seats, ambient lighting and HUD.

I highly doubt BMW will charge $1,700 for the package and then charge you again for use of the heated seats. Maybe in Europe there is no charge for the package, so they have monthly fees for their use, but I highly doubt they would double charge their customers here in the US market.

Don't think so. The heated seats that I ordered for my wife's 2023 BMW i4M50 is part of the $1,700 Premium Package. This package includes heated steering wheel, heated front seats, ambient lighting and HUD.

I highly doubt BMW will charge $1,700 for the package and then charge you again for use of the heated seats. Maybe in Europe there is no charge for the package, so they have monthly fees for their use, but I highly doubt they would double charge their customers here in the US market.
No, this is for non-US market, don’t pay $1,700 package, but nickle and dime on what to use its content.

I honestly don’t understand why would high beam usage or speaker usage have to be in subscription model. BMW choose to supply them, but you get to choose certain season to not subscribe, or cease subscription during vacation time? It doesn’t make business sense just as that new monkey butts radiator grill on EV design.
Their take-rate modeling must have concluded that they will make more money on the subscription pricing structure over the life of the car.

Not consumer friendly though.

Back