Battery Range

DuaneCorcoran

Cars
Lucid Air Dream
DE Number
I recently downloaded software rev 2.0.25. I took my first road trip after the download. The trip was all rural highway and 255 miles. I used 330 battery miles. My speed was 70-80 mph for the duration of the trip. Outside temps ranged from 38-45. My question is why did I use so much battery range? Was it to do with speed, temps or something to do with software update?

I recently downloaded software rev 2.0.25. I took my first road trip after the download. The trip was all rural highway and 255 miles. I used 330 battery miles. My speed was 70-80 mph for the duration of the trip. Outside temps ranged from 38-45. My question is why did I use so much battery range? Was it to do with speed, temps or something to do with software update?
I have similar trip you made last week, I saw my battery efficiency dropped 25% of my usual.

- The biggest factory is weather of cold temp
- if you use cabin heater, use high electricity
- sweet spot in EPA is like 55 mph, 70+ all taxing more
- elevation change if you have any

Consider you use 30% more in converted miles than normal 255 miles distance, it is not out of line. It comes with electric car territory. EPA is idealistic conditions.

In addition to what @Tesla2.0 wrote, the "battery" miles is what the EPA rating for your car is. So under the most ideal conditions, driving a steady 60 or so, you would be able to get very close to that. But going 70 - 80 along with the colder temps yielding 77% of EPA rating is to be expected...and for some, better than they've been able to achieve. If you've been averaging better than what you got on this roadtrip with warmer temps, then the colder temp explains it.

I have similar trip you made last week, I saw my battery efficiency dropped 25% of my usual.

Consider you use 30% more in converted miles than normal 255 miles distance, it is not out of line. It comes with electric car territory. EPA is idealistic conditions.
Factory = factor*

(I often posted too fast without spell check.

Range goes down with the square of speed. EPA tests are done at a low average speed, I believe around 50mph or less. So you won't get EPA range on fast freeway trips.

Probably your cold tire pressure contributed to less efficiency also, in addition to what others have mentioned. On 19” at 28-35 degrees F I’m getting 3.0-3.2 mi/kWh when I used to get 3.7-3.9 on the same route at 80F. I feel like with this car the biggest hit to efficiency is elevation changes, then speed, then ambient temperature. While I hope Lucid builds these handicaps into software range estimates in the future, in the meantime A Better Route Planner app does a surprisingly accurate job at it, you just tell it the efficiency you’ve been averaging and starting SOC% and it will predict your range to whatever destination with scary accuracy, like within 3-4 miles as it figures it out based on temperature, elevation and traffic at that time of day.

In addition to what @Tesla2.0 wrote, the "battery" miles is what the EPA rating for your car is. So under the most ideal conditions, driving a steady 60 or so, you would be able to get very close to that. But going 70 - 80 along with the colder temps yielding 77% of EPA rating is to be expected...and for some, better than they've been able to achieve. If you've been averaging better than what you got on this roadtrip with warmer temps, then the colder temp explains it.
The available range in our ICE cars seems to be computed from averages and can vary based on past trips. Why doesn't Lucid do the same so you have a more accurate range? I am noticing a considerable difference in miles available and actual miles driven. I would rather the car tell me that an 80% charge will only give me 295 miles instead of the EPA estimate.

The available range in our ICE cars seems to be computed from averages and can vary based on past trips. Why doesn't Lucid do the same so you have a more accurate range? I am noticing a considerable difference in miles available and actual miles driven. I would rather the car tell me that an 80% charge will only give me 295 miles instead of the EPA estimate.
Agree. I hope this becomes more accurate.

I have noticed that my wife's EQS starts out with way fewer miles available than my DE but the number of actual miles you can drive is very close to that estimate.

I have noticed that my wife's EQS starts out with way fewer miles available than my DE but the number of actual miles you can drive is very close to that estimate.
My guess is Germany is closer to North Pole than Texas and can stand the weather more like Swedish Polestar.

The range reporting has been such a significant source of, um, conversation that I'm sure Lucid is more than aware. When you have to prioritize where to spend your limited resources on development, you can't make everyone happy. As has been pointed out, the workaround for now might be to use A Better Route Planner.
I did read that Ford, a significantly larger company, has a range planner for the Ford Lightning for towing mode that asks what you're planning to tow, weight, route; it checks weather and elevation changes and forecasts your range, taking into account these important factors. That was a very important consideration for Ford's Lightning, being marketed as a great work truck for contractors, but their expected unit volume is much higher. I don't know of other EVs that have a branded planner that takes all of those factors into consideration, and certainly not in combination with your personal factors such as the total weight load you're moving, your heating/cooling preferences, driving style, expected traffic, road surfaces, ....
Best option at the moment could be A Better Route Planner.

As another data point, I think we did worst case scenario driving yesterday. 29 degrees out, 30mph wind from the side/front, 21” wheels, wife driving 80-85 the whole way. We averaged 2.0-2.1 mi/kWh over 180 miles.

Attachments

• FF37211D-550F-48F7-BCAC-06CE08392E7D.jpeg
    FF37211D-550F-48F7-BCAC-06CE08392E7D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
As another data point, I think we did worst case scenario driving yesterday. 29 degrees out, 30mph wind from the side/front, 21” wheels, wife driving 80-85 the whole way. We averaged 2.0-2.1 mi/kWh over 180 miles.
This is pretty impressive as the Lucid in a near worst case scenario has about the same efficiency as an R1T under best case scenario.

We haven't noticed this, but our EQS's been showing loss of 3, 4 miles a night while being plugged in, with charging finished at 80% SOC.
Didn't see this loss in the preceding 6 months, but I wasn't paying much attention to it, though.

This is pretty impressive as the Lucid in a near worst case scenario has about the same efficiency as an R1T under best case scenario.
The way back today was 2.9-3 instead. Lighter winds and I stuck to around 75 mph. 38 degrees out.

I’m impressed with that the size of the battery pack allows resilience in adverse conditions: low temperatures, steep terrain and high winds….An example to share would be driving from just north of Phoenix, around the NW loop and connecting to Interstate 8. We left the charging station in Anthem and due to posted speeds and traffic, we set the HWA at 70mph. The Temperature was 69 and for just over 100 miles, we logged 4.4 miles/KWh. (This is the number that will give the approximate 512 mile range) After merging on I-8 and setting the HWA at 75, the Miles/kWh stabilized at 4.0 (temperature still at 69) until we climbed the Chocolate Mountains just outside of Yuma….the Miles/KWh dropped to 3.8. We charged a bit in Yuma while stretching an walking, had a latte at Starbucks and then drove from below sea level to over 4,000’ to get back home in San Diego County…the miles/kWh dropped to 3.2. My observation is that the sweet spot for EPA class mileage is a temperature of 69 and a speed of 70, driving with very even inputs for steering, braking and acceleration helps.
Again, I am glad that with much lower temperatures steep topography and faster speeds, the battery’s size allows very a respectable range. I like to have the % showing on the dash rather than the miles remaining(% is an option) and I like to open on the Pilot Panel the “Vehicle” on the settings, and the Trip option on the Vehicle heading. The first line shows the current mileage since last charge and the running “Miles/KWh”. Much easier to estimate remaining miles with % and miles/KWh.
Yesterday while driving for Dr appointment and errands I logged 4.7 miles/KWh over a 60 mile distance.I left home at 1,800‘ and drove downhill and at 60 miles of driving had the 4.7 number….by the time I got home it dropped to 4.0…..

Last edited:
I’m impressed with that the size of the battery pack allows resilience in adverse conditions: low temperatures, steep terrain and high winds….An example to share would be driving from just north of Phoenix, around the NW loop and connecting to Interstate 8. We left the charging station in Anthem and due to posted speeds and traffic, we set the HWA at 70mph. The Temperature was 69 and for just over 100 miles, we logged 4.4 miles/KWh. (This is the number that will give the approximate 512 mile range) After merging on I-8 and setting the HWA at 75, the Miles/kWh stabilized at 4.0 (temperature still at 69) until we climbed the Chocolate Mountains just outside of Yuma….the Miles/KWh dropped to 3.8. We charged a bit in Yuma while stretching an walking, had a latte at Starbucks and then drove from below sea level to over 4,000’ to get back home in San Diego County…the miles/kWh dropped to 3.2. My observation is that the sweet spot for EPA class mileage is a temperature of 69 and a speed of 70, driving with very even inputs for steering, braking and acceleration helps.
Again, I am glad that with much lower temperatures steep topography and faster speeds, the battery’s size allows very a respectable range. I like to have the % showing on the dash rather than the miles remaining(% is an option) and I like to open on the Pilot Panel the “Vehicle” on the settings, and the Trip option on the Vehicle heading. The first line shows the current mileage since last charge and the running “Miles/KWh”. Much easier to estimate remaining miles with % and miles/KWh.
Yesterday while driving for Dr appointment and errands I logged 4.7 miles/KWh over a 60 mile distance.I left home at 1,800‘ and drove downhill and at 60 miles of driving had the 4.7 number….by the time I got home it dropped to 4.0…..
Wow, I want your car!!

Well it was not 2.1 kw/mile — in miles per KW, that would have been only .50miles per KW. It was actually 2.1 miles per kilowatt — 4 times as good! (2.1 kw/mile 31 miles for 65 miles.) Trip B there shows most of miles I have driven since taking delivery in September — averaging 2.7 miles/kw.

BA3D981F-D312-4BE7-BD34-D36EE5565383.jpeg

Back