Attempted Hands-Free with the new computer install

mikecronis

Active Member

Joined
Jun 2, 2024
Messages
297
Reaction score
191
Location
Colorado
Cars
Lucid Air Dream-P
Air DE Number
234
Entering hands free driving was smooth and seamless. Using the turn-signal to switch lanes was very well done.
Problem was there was an off-ramp and at 80 mph it decided to go that way, downhill, and I had to urge it back, "No no nooooooo!" fighting the steering wheel until it released so I wouldn't fall down into the forever dark and off the road into a ravine. Car, happily pulling me to an early death with steering resistance, "Let's die together, my love.. Don't Fear the Reaper!" No thanks.

Not ready for Cadillac's Super-Cruise "Prime Time" yet by comparison from my 2019 CT6 AWD Platinum.

Audio still is non-existent after charging, requiring a soft-reset, though the new computer makes this process take about 50 seconds instead of 3 minutes.
 
I have found that when the car encounters an exit lane while the travel lane is curving left, it has to think about it a bit. It has always figured it out with perhaps a little twitch or two.
 
Shouldn’t you hit the brake to disengage and reclaim steering??
 
Shouldn’t you hit the brake to disengage and reclaim steering??
Yes. Initially, I attempted to "suggest" to the car to not go into the descending off-ramp as a slow nudge which showed significant resistance before applying light braking which disengaged the system.

When I used to take my supercharged C6 Corvette to track days, or when I'd drift my Lotus Elise Touring, dialing-in steering response lightly is often better than upsetting the chassis which dangerously shifts weight (unless you want to intentionally kick-out the rear, which in some instances this is desirable). Same goes on track-days with liter-bikes or smaller Ninjas I've owned. Over the years I've learned control of various corners of the vehicle I was in.

I believe the car looks for road lines to adjust itself. I'm not fully certain it's using installed maps as a guide.

My older 2019 Cadillac CT6 Platinum with Super Cruise instead relies on Google Maps as a primary source and has that sorted-out pretty well. I've gone on long road trips involving construction zones and it was always smooth and unconcerningly hands-free (unlike Tesla cars I've tested, which were twitchy).

At this point, I'm very tempted to go back to Cadillac, but I do not like the CT5 seating compared to the now discontinued CT6 with All-Wheel-Steering and Night-Vision.

The no-audio "feature" is wearing thin on me, and I feel the programmers are not great.
 
I believe the car looks for road lines to adjust itself.
If no road lines exist, it will follow the car in front. If neither exists, it will say “your turn, bro”
 
Have ya'll had any safety issues with it? I was using hands-free drive assist, and for the first 20 minutes of the drive, it was working perfectly, but when a curve came on the highway, it automatically disabled the steering or drive assist altogether without giving any warnings. Luckily, I was paying attention, and it was night, so there weren't any cars around, but this is a pretty big safety concern imo.
 
You are supposed to always be paying attention...
As I said in my post, I was paying attention, and I always pay attention as I don't trust the system. I know it's new, so it won't be perfect. I was just asking if anyone else had a similar experience, where it disengaged without any warning.
 
I remember an older Cadillac I had with SuperCruise hands-free maps had a map gap on I-25 where there was no road-coverage and it would disengage SuperCruise for the 5 miles or so, but it would warn about 3 or 4 minutes out from that on the screen, and buzz your seat, etc. If you ignored all of it, the car would simply self pull-over into the brake-down lane, self-park, and wait 30 seconds. If you still did nothing it would call On-Star emergency services and put you through to a medic and would also call an ambulance.

I tried it out to the point of the On-Star call and told them I was fine and was going on my way and thanked them.
 
Yes. Initially, I attempted to "suggest" to the car to not go into the descending off-ramp as a slow nudge which showed significant resistance before applying light braking which disengaged the system.
My Tesla does the same thing, I'm not sure but I think they both get the same bad map data.
 
Back
Top