Any issue Fast Charging with some Regularity when Battery at 50-60% ?

GMan

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring
Referral Code
60T8OVVK
I have to wait for the electric company to quote out an estimate to bring another 100 amps from the grid to my house. In the meantime, I have no home charger (other than the 110v using the provided home charging cord) but I do have relatively easy access to a DC Fast Charging station. My preference is not to wait until the battery is 20% to charge.

So I would like to know if there's any long term battery issues/concerns with DC fast charging twice a week when the battery is 50-60%, bringing it back up to 80% each time?

Thanks

Great question and input. Thank you. I am new to this and had the same question. I presently top off like I do with ICE cars. I will study the provided information more in depth to understand battery cycles better.

I have to wait for the electric company to quote out an estimate to bring another 100 amps from the grid to my house. In the meantime, I have no home charger (other than the 110v using the provided home charging cord) but I do have relatively easy access to a DC Fast Charging station. My preference is not to wait until the battery is 20% to charge.

So I would like to know if there's any long term battery issues/concerns with DC fast charging twice a week when the battery is 50-60%, bringing it back up to 80% each time?

Thanks

Unfortunately for us, Lucids have not been around long enough to have data with real numbers compiled.

However, borrowing from my experience as a Tesla owner, DC fast charging from 50% to 80% a few times a week will bring very little harm to your battery. A few years ago, I moved to a new house. Like you, I had to wait about a month before I could have my Tesla home charging station relocated and installed at my new house. In the meantime, I had to carve out a few hours in every week to run to our neighbourhood Tesla supercharging station, to “gas up” our cars to 80% or 90%.

The things to avoid are charging your car to 100% (it’s a big waste of time); and charging to 100% and then letting it remain at that very high state of charge. On the rare occasion that you charge to 100%, plan on driving away pretty soon after charging is complete. Allow the battery to come down several percentage points from that 100% charge state.

Generally, and thinking about this over the entire term of owning your EV, level 2 charging at home is easier on the battery than repeatedly DC fast charging. But, if your only practical option is to DC fast charge, then do that. Several years from now, a few months of DC fast charging will not make that much of a difference in how much your battery degrades, but doing so temporarily for those few short months will have enhanced your EV ownership experience. To me, the trade off is worth it.

Back