Another Business Insider Article

They lost any semblance of objectivity when they put "Tesla-wannabe" in their headline.

But I'm sure this will soon become a ten-page thread of folks explaining how "Yeah, but they do have a point about…"

To be fair, it’s time for a clean out of senior leadership in sales. If you’ve noticed, many of the good faces who you all have interacted with as customers are leaving on their own accord or being asked to leave because they are trying to do what is right for customers and the health of the business.

These type of articles annoy me because whilst cancellations don't look good it's just been a shit few years. From Covid, supply chain to Russia causing resources to skyrocket resulting in price increases with pretty much EVERYONE, now teetering on a global recession. It's just not a good time to be a luxury carmaker let alone a new one trying to establish itself.

The cancellations are disappointing but it's not surprising given the state of the economy. Your market is small when asking $100K+ for a car and becomes even smaller when the economy is shit.

These types of articles are why I don't usually read these publications. It's all hype in the first paragraph, only to read through and realize they completely exaggerated the situation and if you have a brain there's actually nothing to even be discussed.

As I’ve said before, there just isn’t much of a market for a $100k+ sedan in the US. We knew that. If Lucid can’t move their SUV then the doomsayers will be correct.

As I’ve said before, there just isn’t much of a market for a $100k+ sedan in the US. We knew that. If Lucid can’t move their SUV then the doomsayers will be correct.
I agree on the SUV and it's going to be a "watch this space" situation. We know SUV's sell in the US and if Lucid can't generate a chunk of reservations from it then they're seriously going to need to address what the market is wanting. My fear is that they're going to be asking $100K to $150K for an SUV and price themselves out of the market. Lucid is relying heavily on marketing efficiency and range but when you see how well the eTron does in the US it's clear people perhaps don't seem to be on the same page as Lucid.

Could Lucid do themselves a favor and drop the battery pack size, reduce the cost and become more competitive if range truly isn't a concern with the market they're aiming at. Lets face it, no one is driving 500 miles without stopping for a bathroom \ food break of some sort but yet we're all paying a premium for that range and it's in increased cost on the car.

Could Lucid do themselves a favor and drop the battery pack size, reduce the cost and become more competitive if range truly isn't a concern with the market they're aiming at. Lets face it, no one is driving 500 miles without stopping for a bathroom \ food break of some sort but yet we're all paying a premium for that range and it's in increased cost on the car.
Excellent point. But then they'll be competing downmarket with the growing ranks of established manufacturers. Various people here already cross-shop Hyundai/Genesis and BMW i4. I think we all know the general public hasn't yet realized they are not doing these long road trips all the time, and in a multi-car household, a maximum of one car needs to be ICE.

Plus to me the 400 mile EPA range of the Touring really means 200-300 since I'll be driving in colder weather and definitely not hypermiling :)

Excellent point. But then they'll be competing downmarket with the growing ranks of established manufacturers. Various people here already cross-shop Hyundai/Genesis and BMW i4. I think we all know the general public hasn't yet realized they are not doing these long road trips all the time, and in a multi-car household, a maximum of one car needs to be ICE.

Plus to me the 400 mile EPA range of the Touring really means 200-300 since I'll be driving in colder weather and definitely not hypermiling :)
The 20-80 rule is king here. Let's say you do get optimal mileage - 400 miles drops to 240 when you consider 60% of the battery, and toss in less than optimal conditions plus spirited driving, you're looking at 200 miles to be able to get from charger A to charger B and charge in the sweet spot time wise. To me, that's the point of having 400 miles. My last road trip was from FL to GA (430 miles) and I made one stop for gas and a bio break. If I can do the same thing via electric, I'm golden.

Agree that city cars don't need near that range, but when you factor in access to chargers and the sweet spot for charging time, it helps to have more range to offset the losses. If you consider a 300 mile range, suddenly you're looking at maybe 150 miles of go time between stops. That to me is really the minimal I'd be willing to accept, and yet only a couple of cars can even do that.

Back