Android Auto Thursday

OMG, GM is giving up on AA and we are still waiting. Actually, good article: its all about the $$ in data and GM hopes to NOW get TENS OF BILLIONS in subscription dollars and selling data. - money that was going to Apple and Google.
Correction: Apple and Google get zero dollars from AA and CarPlay.

GM wants to track everything you do and sell it to the highest bidder. And force you to use crap software to do it.

As much as I suspect the average non-tech nerd could fall for it, I still think it will be a failed experiment. People want their phone data to be directly accessible from their car. Pretending the car is somehow better off as a disconnected separate device in your life is just silly.

Where is all my music? My contacts? My appointments? In the little rectangle in my pocket. Why would I want my car to not have direct access to that?

GM wants to track everything you do and sell it to the highest bidder. And force you to use crap software to do it.

As much as I suspect the average non-tech nerd could fall for it, I still think it will be a failed experiment. People want their phone data to be directly accessible from their car. Pretending the car is somehow better off as a disconnected separate device in your life is just silly.

Where is all my music? My contacts? My appointments? In the little rectangle in my pocket. Why would I want my car to not have direct access to that?
But doesn't Apple and Google make money if you use their platform and subscribe to places like Tidal? In app purchases??

...People want their phone data to be directly accessible from their car. Pretending the car is somehow better off as a disconnected separate device in your life is just silly.
If you happen to use an Android phone, all that is cloud-mirrored to the car in real time. It's seamless.
It's been working great in Volvo and Polestar cars for over two years.
Apple could write apps to run natively on AAOS too, if they chose - Apple Music, Maps, etc

Last edited:

They don't directly charge you but they benefit from in app purchases. I wouldn't be surprised if both Apple and Google put some experiences behind a paywall after they get enough car manufacturers onboard.

Happy Android Auto Thursday!!!!!!

Just remembered that "Patience is the ornament of the brave. Patience is the real badge of courage; it is equally the mark of love." -- Eknath Easwaran

I realize not required, but commissions from inapp purccases?
Not if you subscribe elsewhere. If I signed up for Tidal on the web, Apple doesn’t get a dime when I use that sub on my phone.

The only commission Apple ever gets is on us subscriptions signed up on the phone itself, through their own store. And rightly so. Because it’s a hell of a lot more convenient to buy with one tap and not have to give my credit card number to a hundred different services.

Either way, this has nothing to do with CarPlay. CarPlay is just taking what’s already on your phone and projecting it in the car. It costs me nothing more than I’m already paying.

If you happen to use an Android phone, all that is cloud-mirrored to the car in real time. It's seamless.
It's been working great in Volvo and Polestar cars for over two years.
Apple could write apps to run natively on AAOS too, if they chose - Apple Music, Maps, etc
For something like Apple Music or Maps, sure. But why would Apple want to write Android apps? They have for Tesla and Mercedes as one-offs. But that doesn’t exactly scale.

Meanwhile, I still wouldn’t have access to all the third-party apps I use with CarPlay. Unless every one of those developers developed a whole new version for every car in existence. Seems like a terrible waste of time to me.

Like I said, my whole life is already on this thing in my pocket. All I want in my car is to have access to it on the car’s screen. I don’t want to set up and sign in to a dozen apps in my car.

When I get into my Air, my maps pops right up and offers to give me directions to my next appointment. My podcast app is already queued to the exact spot I stopped listening on my headphones five minutes ago. And I didn’t even have to plug anything in. You can’t beat that.

Yes, it's AA Thursday, but since I'm still basking in the glow of the new 2.1.47 update fixing my turn signals, and I got the cup holder phone mount in case I need to use Waze or other applications, I have no real complaints. The majority of the Lucid NAV works fine for me.

For something like Apple Music or Maps, sure. But why would Apple want to write Android apps? They have for Tesla and Mercedes as one-offs. But that doesn’t exactly scale.

Meanwhile, I still wouldn’t have access to all the third-party apps I use with CarPlay. Unless every one of those developers developed a whole new version for every car in existence. Seems like a terrible waste of time to me.

Like I said, my whole life is already on this thing in my pocket. All I want in my car is to have access to it on the car’s screen. I don’t want to set up and sign in to a dozen apps in my car.

When I get into my Air, my maps pops right up and offers to give me directions to my next appointment. My podcast app is already queued to the exact spot I stopped listening on my headphones five minutes ago. And I didn’t even have to plug anything in. You can’t beat that.
Agree. I will never buy a car that doesn’t have CarPlay. I imagine some feel the same about AA, hence their frustration with Lucid.

This GM news is a bit deceiving, at least concerning Android.

New GM vehicles run Android Automotive with GAS. Anybody invested in the Google ecosystem will be happy with that That's even better in many respects than just Android Auto.

GM has decided to go forward with one vehicle software standard by utilizing one well supported platform (Android Automotive with GAS).

Lucid, on the other hand, is the Frankenstein of vehicle software. Lucid tries to integrate an Android Automotive backbone with Alexa voice commands, HERE navigation, NVIDIA Drive, and a bunch of other apps and other home grown software. It must be difficult to integrate all those components from different companies and get them to work well with your own developed software.

Oh I forgot Lucid's support of Apple CarPlay too. That must add to the fun for Lucid developers in supporting another component from yet one more software company.

Happy Android Auto Thursday!!!!!

Just remember that “A waiting person is a patient person. The word patience means the willingness to stay where we are and live the situation out to the full in the belief that something hidden there will manifest itself to us.” Henri J.M. Nouwen

1000012144.jpg

My "speculation" is that Lucid is putting the majority of their software development resources into the Gravity, so that they don't repeat the software fiasco of v1.04, and our cars will not get much attention until Gravity ships.

My "speculation" is that Lucid is putting the majority of their software development resources into the Gravity, so that they don't repeat the software fiasco of v1.04, and our cars will not get much attention until Gravity ships.
This isn't true. The company has no intention of ignoring our Air's software as they ramp up to Gravity.

This isn't true. The company has no intention of ignoring our Air's software as they ramp up to Gravity.
Why do you think that? I don't think we should go as far to say "ignoring," but even Peter has said that most of his team is working on Gravity. This is unless they plan to launch UX3 before Gravity, in which case they will likely finish that up for the Air and then work on the Gravity version of it.

Back